PDA

View Full Version : A Writing Ensemble c. 1776.

Bill Stevener
06-26-2005, 1:56 AM
Some other things I like to make. Just finished it today. This little set incorporates several areas in turning, sm. bowls, box work, insets, spindle work, hollow form and imagination.

Top left is a "sander", on a hollow form, baluster pedestal. To the right is a table top adjustable tallow candle stand, with a "Save - All" Lower left is the ink- well, with glass insert. To the right of the ink- well is the buck horn Quill dock. All pcs. are of qtr. sawn cherry. The presentation tray is coffee bean, with bronze retainer rings. Max hight is 10.250" and the finish is 3 coats of spraied lacquer w/ 000 and JPW hand rubbed and buffed.

A real fun project.

Thanks for lQQking, Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

ps. John I found my goose quills.

Bill Stevener
06-26-2005, 1:58 AM
Two more!!

Gary Max
06-26-2005, 6:37 AM
Bill that is sharp. I made the mistake of showing it to my wife---(rookie turner)---wants to try and make one. I like the fact that your candle is really treaded and can be adjusted up and down. The sander---if that something in the thought of a strainer and what would it of been used for.

Steve Inniss
06-26-2005, 6:50 AM
Bill,
Magnificent comes to mind - beautifully detailed execution. -Steve

mike malone
06-26-2005, 7:10 AM
VERY nice job Bill!!!
Encompasses all aspects of turning as you pointed out
regards
mike

Ernie Nyvall
06-26-2005, 7:12 AM
Really nice Bill. I'm going to have to print out all of the ideas you have presented to this forum to keep up with them. Thanks for sharing.

Ernie

Bill Stevener
06-26-2005, 2:56 PM
When I was preparing this post, it became tomorrow before I knew it, and found myself looking at the keyboard for the keys.

I will try to answer some now questions, and some that may come up in the future.When one rites with a quill, it leaves an excess amount of ink on the paper. The baluster that holds the "sander" generally contained a ground talc powder like substance of pumas. This was then placed in to the "sander" and applyed over the ink, and blown off. An early form of our now modern blotter.

On the candle stand, next to the candle, is the "save-all". As tallow candles would burn down, a 1" stub would remain at the base. The stub would be placed into the "save-all" containing tallow and again lit. Some well-to-do families would give the stubs in a "save-all" to their servents, to afford illumination in their quarters at night.

One gentleman, I sold a candle stand to, came back and said his wife wanted to know where the other candle was:confused: . She just didn't understand it. So I just gave him another candle. Seemed to make the sale just right:cool: .

A great place to find new ideas! Tune in on everyones favorite web auction channel, and type in the word - Treen. ( in the search block) Take a look often, and I am sure you will find a great project.

Hope this helps some, and have a great day.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Just a ps; note: I found the candle stand using the word - treen, and I thought I would try recreating the same. The one at auction (not mine) ended with a bid of $820.00 (no not a typo) and did not meet the reserve!

John Hart
06-26-2005, 10:54 PM
You do incredible work Bill. I'm with Ernie...I need to start a "Bill Stevener Portfolio" to keep as an inspiration album.