PDA

View Full Version : For Working Those Wide Boards

Jim Koepke
05-03-2014, 9:07 PM
I was just looking at some things on my screen when a .pdf of a Popular Woodworking issue was opened.

Clicked on one of the pages with an ad for some new bench planes:

Man I bet that is not only hard to get your hand around the tote but once you do it is likely hard to push! :eek:

They also transposed the wording on the image of the #4-1/2.

jtk

Andrew Fleck
05-03-2014, 9:11 PM
I've always felt like there was something missing in my plane collection. This could be the one that turns me into a master.

Eric Schubert
05-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Holy moly! A 15-inch-wide plane?! What has this world come to? :D

Shawn Pixley
05-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Now that would be a manly plane.

Winton Applegate
05-04-2014, 1:28 AM
Yes
miss prints can be quite entertaining.
With the computer age they are showing up more and more.

Entertaining if you don't think about the general downward plummet of the attention span of the average human and the deplorable wreckage it is making of documentation; especially in the last year or two.

I wouldn't trust my weight to any of it.
no . . . most certainly I would not.

Remember the debacle a few years ago when the rocket or what have you parts were made in several countries and we made ours (at Bowing no less) in inches instead of metric and nothing we made would hook up ?

The chances of humans traveling to Mars in the next thousand years are zero in my view.

Can't you just see it. Time in stasis for the trip is supposed to be one and a half years (I am making this up so just back off buckO) . . . but the manual says to set the stasis timer for 15 so the ship travels well past Mars and out into space for another 13.5 years.

Yah
I won't be booking a passage on a Mars bound Greyhound Scenicruiser anytime soon. Could end up in Alpha Centauri just because of a misprint.

That is just too long to wait for a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster no matter how good they are supposed to be in Alpha Centauri.

Jim Koepke
05-04-2014, 2:05 AM
Remember the debacle a few years ago when the rocket or what have you parts were made in several countries and we made ours (at Bowing no less) in inches instead of metric and nothing we made would hook up ?

Many years ago I worked as a drafter. That is when I found out there is a difference in some European drawings and American drawings. I do not recall if it was an Eastern European thing or not. The projections were different. We sent a lot of work to a shop with some Eastern European ex-pats who would often make our parts backwards.

Fun, fun, fun...

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Other than the difference in using metric verus imperial dimensions there is often the difference in projection Jim. We use third angle projection and much of the world uses 1st angle projection. It can cause huge problems if you don't pay attention.

Winton Applegate
05-04-2014, 3:57 PM
jtk,

The projections were different.
ahhhhhh
that is enlightening.
As I remember the news papers said metric conversions were the problem.
Wouldn’t trust my weight to anything I read in the papers either.

Thanks for the education !

That could explain a lot of what is going on between Pooty and Barack right now.
Silly rabbits.

The drawings on the cocktail napkins look one way to The Pootster and another way to The Rocker.

Well I am sure they will get it throughly hammered out to where it will work equally badly for both sides.

Winton Applegate
05-04-2014, 4:20 PM
Dave Anderson :

Ah OH ! :eek:
There's the BOSS.
:o
Sorry 'bout the politico rat hole.
:rolleyes:

We use third angle projection and much of the world uses 1st angle projection. It can cause huge problems

I took drafting in high school so obviously I am an old hand and know exactly what you refer to but for those who don't quite see the difference . . .:cool:
any chance of an example or three to educate me ?

herumpfff . . . cough . . . that is . . . I mean to say . . . those other guys who don't quite see the difference.

:D
Please

PS: and anyone else of course who can find the time to try to get me to understand.

Tom Stenzel
05-04-2014, 6:25 PM
Dave Anderson :

Ah OH ! :eek:
There's the BOSS.
:o
Sorry 'bout the politico rat hole.
:rolleyes:

I took drafting in high school so obviously I am an old hand and know exactly what you refer to but for those who don't quite see the difference . . .:cool:
any chance of an example or three to educate me ?

herumpfff . . . cough . . . that is . . . I mean to say . . . those other guys who don't quite see the difference.

:D
Please

PS: and anyone else of course who can find the time to try to get me to understand.

I too know exactly whatever it is you guys are talking about and hope someone could explain it. For the benefit of others of course (ahem).

-Tom

Jim Koepke
05-04-2014, 7:00 PM
As I remember the news papers said metric conversions were the problem.

I think that was the problem with the story you conveyed. It was also metric conversion that brought us the saga of the "Gimli Glider."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

jtk

Jim Koepke
05-04-2014, 7:09 PM
I too know exactly whatever it is you guys are talking about and hope someone could explain it. For the benefit of others of course (ahem).

-Tom

It has been a long time but in a standard drawing there is a face view a top view and then a side view.

My recollection is in American drawings the side view to the left of the face view is of the object rotated on the vertical axis of the face view to the left. In other countries the rotation is to the right.

Imagine a die, half a pair of dice. If it is setting on a surface with the one up and the five toward you viewing from one side you would see the three. Viewing from the other you would see a four. One system of projection would show the three side to the right of the face view the other system would show the four side.

And that is how international screw ups get started.

Winton Applegate
05-04-2014, 7:16 PM
Gimli Glider."

Ha, ha,
at least the pilot had the curtsy to park it up next to the guard rail so overtaking traffic could get by.
Now that is a nice guy/gal.

Tom Vanzant
05-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Back in the days when drawings were actually drawings, I was instructed to picture the object as a box and arrange the drawn views as though the box was "unfolded" with the outer faces being shown. This was the American orientation of the views of the various faces of the object. Over-simplification, yes. The European orientation essentially reversed the views to the right and left of the major view. Then came AutoCad and all bets were off regarding view orientation.

Winton Applegate
05-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Got it,
thanks

Then came AutoCad and all bets were off .

yep
no trips to Mars for me.

PS: I looked and looked and as far as I can tell I was thinking of the first problems with the 787 Dream Liner Passenger plane.

On the same note it sounds like Air bus can coordinate major component manufacture by multiple countries.

The advisor dudes in Boeing made recommendations on the right way to do the same.
Did highest executive management dudes listen to peon advisor dudes ?
what are you nuts ? That never happens.
Highest executive management dudes enjoy shooting them selves in the foot too much to stand for any thing like that. (oops ha, ha, no pun intended)
Sure costs a bundle to pay said advisor dudes for their advice and then ignore them.

Winton Applegate
05-05-2014, 1:06 AM
Tom,

One more and I will stop. I promise.
Was the Euro plans thing like a secret "key". In other words if an unscrupulous and less than astute thief were to actually steal the plans and follow them using the "logical" orientation would they, say for example, wind up with a steam locomotive that would go sixty miles an hour backwards but only creep forwards ?

Greg Portland
05-05-2014, 5:25 PM
I was just looking at some things on my screen when a .pdf of a Popular Woodworking issue was opened.

Clicked on one of the pages with an ad for some new bench planes:

Man I bet that is not only hard to get your hand around the tote but once you do it is likely hard to push! :eek:

They also transposed the wording on the image of the #4-1/2.

jtk
I immediately thought of these planes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrmCyADNhe0

Tom Stenzel
05-05-2014, 6:02 PM
I immediately thought of these planes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrmCyADNhe0

Immediately following the plane demonstration-Super sale on veneer!

-Tom

Tom Stenzel
05-05-2014, 6:09 PM
Jim and Tom,

Thanks for the explanation. I think I've got it now.

-Tom

Joe A Faulkner
05-05-2014, 6:50 PM

Nope, if the blade is sharp you just tie a piece of yarn on the knob and pull it - pushing is not necessary on well honed plane.