PDA

View Full Version : New to me Minimax FS350 J/P

Robert Maloney
05-03-2014, 7:58 PM
Picked up this FS350 from a guy that was closing up shop and changing careers. I ended up getting it for $2100. I just had to replace the magnetic switch as he had replaced it with a 220v light switch. I wanted the safety of the lockout switch so the kids can't accidentally turn it on. This thing weighs a ton. It has a Tersa head and the mobility kit. I had an 8" jointer that I just sold and I have a 15" Powermatic planer with a Byrd head. I haven't sold the planer yet because I want to see how the Tersa head does on some figured wood I have. I am just waiting for the new M42 knives to get here. Worst case is I keep the planer and got a 14"jointer for $2100, but if I do sell the planer I will actually come out on top. So far it has been good but that was with some older knives.

Loren Woirhaye
05-03-2014, 7:59 PM
Tersa heads are pretty sweet, imo. With a jointer that wide you can skew the work as well.

Wayne Fuder
05-03-2014, 8:27 PM
Looks like you got one of the older ones with parallel tables, like the well thought of DJ20, instead of dovetail style. I can't tell if it has the horizontal mortise attachment in your pictures. It comes in handy at times. They are terribly expensive, but I am tempted to buy a set of carbide knives for mine next time just to compare to M42. I can't imagine going back to conventional knives after having a tersa head.

Robert Maloney
05-03-2014, 8:40 PM
I like the Tersa head so far. Way nicer than having to adjust knives. I think I am going to ditch the pork chop guard and get the Euro guard. Everyone seems to say they are safer. No mortise on the back, but I do own a mortise. Thanks to Jim Becker for answering all my questions.

mreza Salav
05-04-2014, 12:10 AM
I have that exact planer and it's a beast (even after I broke it to parts to take it to my basement shop the body was more than I could push myself).
Tersa knives are very easy to change. You'd love the 14" Jointer and I wouldn't want to go back to anything smaller.

Jim Becker
05-11-2014, 9:08 PM
I own the same FS350 and have very much enjoyed it. It's a great machine...and that 13.68-whatever-inches-wide capacity (350mm) is so very useful in many ways! I'm a fan of the Tersa head, too...so easy to quickly shift a knife if you catch a nick...and the cut is very, very smooth. Congrats!