PDA

View Full Version : These MIGHt take a while

steven c newman
05-02-2014, 5:31 PM
Out on the 1st yard sale of the new season. Found these two items288571ain't they cute:rolleyes: anyway @ $2 each, we have a Disston skew back ( maybe a D-8?) with a Disston & Sons medallion. Seems to be around 5-7ppi? No etches yet that might be hiding under the rust. Might be able to repair the tote? The other one though, has a Cresent Moon & Star on the medallion. Also a skew back, but about 11ppi at least. Both saws will need a good sharpening, but the Simonds & Sons will have to lose a few inches off the end. Someone must have needed some "Iron" in their diet? Close up of the totes:eek:288572The teeth on both are a bit ....bad288573A-yup. The disston teeth are very worn down in that rusty area. Whatever bit the other saw.....I will stay away from. Maybe later this summer, I'll have these two up and running. Unless someone needs them Brass bolts and medallions. :D

Mike Siemsen
05-02-2014, 7:37 PM
crescent moon and star is Zenith from Marshall Wells Hardware Company of Duluth, MN

steven c newman
05-02-2014, 9:09 PM
Just got done cleaning the nedallion up to shiny brass. yep, Simonds MFG CO. WARRANTED

A star over the cresent moon, with an EST. /PAT? date above the star. Saw's tote is beyond repair. Plate is floppy, and bowed a bit. Thinking of cut a bit off the tote to repair the Disston, and selling the brass hardware. At least the brass is in good to excellent shape...

Jim Koepke
05-02-2014, 9:15 PM
Just got done cleaning the nedallion up to shiny brass. yep, Simonds MFG CO. WARRANTED

A star over the cresent moon, with an EST. /PAT? date above the star. Saw's tote is beyond repair. Plate is floppy, and bowed a bit. Thinking of cut a bit off the tote to repair the Disston, and selling the brass hardware. At least the brass is in good to excellent shape...

If it is Dec. 27, 1887 that is the Glover patent on the saw nut style. Almost every medallion has that date on during the time of the patent. (iirc it is Dec. 27)

Hopefully that guy Glover did well by his patent.

jtk

steven c newman
05-03-2014, 4:50 PM
Ok, gave up on the Simonds MFG Co. saw. Bolts are going to be for sale. The plate was bent, and floppy, no temper left in it. Did get the D8 plate cleaned up288600and even found most on the etch. Laid out some parts288601I figured with a couple of saw cuts, I could marry these two parts in a decent tote. So288602away we go. Trimmed off the "good" part of the Simonds tote. Then a clean up288603Then i trimmed the Disston got trimmed a bit288604Looks good, don't it? Well, a crack was hiding there. Had to cut a little more than I planned off. So288605 a scrap of walnut was fitted into the gap. Glue applied, and into the clamps it goes288606Awaiting on the glue to cure out. Then I can shape the walnut to match. Sand the tote down, and a new finish applied. Brass is now nice and shined up. 288607Disstonian Institute say that Medallion is from about 1878-1888, and was one the first skew back saws made. Might be a keeper? So far, a few hours of work/fun, and about $4.50 out of pocket. Stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-04-2014, 5:00 PM
Handle is out of the clamps after a day. Chisel to shape the walnut filler, block planes to level the two pieces where the Simonds was a might thicker. Tore a few narrow strips from a sanding belt, and started the sanding. Had to stop for the day, as I am getting ready to leave for work at the "Day Job" . A look at the first days results288664still thinking about that hole for the old woodscrew. The Brass stuff is there to keep the brass from wandering off somewhere288666The "Show" side. Do I continue that lamb's tongue? Or is it ok now? As for the other side288667There is a small crack near the top, still tight, so I'll leave it alone. Still have a lot of sanding to do, but it is getting better..

Judson Green
05-04-2014, 5:09 PM
Wow my hat is off to you. If I had bought those saws at all it would have been for parts. Very impressive.

george wilson
05-04-2014, 5:52 PM
Unless the saw was in a fire,there is no reason why there would be no temper left in it. Temper does not "wear out". There are all kinds of mechanical antiques hundreds of years old whose springs still work just fine.

If the blade is floppy,it might have been sanded too thin at some point,perhaps in an earlier restoration attempt. Use it for scraper blades.

steven c newman
05-05-2014, 5:34 PM
Had a wild thought last night, how about cut enough of the old floppy plate to make a backsaw? I think i have a spline down in the shop. Have some Walnut for a tote, too. Maybe a 14" long by 3-4" wide chunk? Might even use what is left of the brooken Simonds tote. Will have to wait until AFTER the other saw is done, though...

Judson Green
05-05-2014, 7:37 PM
Sounds like a plan

Pat Barry
05-05-2014, 8:22 PM
Had a wild thought last night, how about cut enough of the old floppy plate to make a backsaw? I think i have a spline down in the shop. Have some Walnut for a tote, too. Maybe a 14" long by 3-4" wide chunk? Might even use what is left of the brooken Simonds tote. Will have to wait until AFTER the other saw is done, though...
I don't know. You got 2 bucks into it, its floppy, maybe no temper for whatever reason. Give it a break. Find a better candidate to start your saw making project. JMO

David Weaver
05-05-2014, 10:23 PM

No, it's not going to be the right thickness, and you have to come up with a back to grip it. If you're going to go to the trouble to make a backsaw, get good parts. Sell the saw nuts and throw the plate away, unless you want to save it to hammer. You could attempt to tension it, but you will need something like a good anvil to do that and a perfectly smooth hammer. Chance of success is slim enough that it's not worth your time.

steven c newman
05-06-2014, 8:38 AM
Didn't want to just throw away some things. My time is my time. Already about half way to having that Disston Skew back D8 back in working order.

Any suggestion on what to ask for the Simonds MFG CO brass hardware? Medallion and four bolts. Start around $9 or so???

David Weaver
05-06-2014, 8:46 AM
Some things are junk regardless of whose time it is. It may be that you could use the spring steel for some experimenting, though, since the tension is gone. Maybe see if you can make some marking knives out of it since it's probably a water hardening type of steel.

Also, you don't want to have yourself making a back saw that doesn't stay in its spine well, and that has plate thickness at the tooth line in the 30 or 35 thousandths range. But cutting it up and trying hardening and tempering with it could provide some experience.

Being too stingy to buy saw nuts and too lazy to sell the ones I have, I have no idea what they're worth.

george wilson
05-06-2014, 9:07 AM
I have used old saw blade steel for making scratch stocks to make miniature moldings as well as regular scrapers,curved or straight. You can file the saw steel readily into complex molding shapes with needle files. It seems to hold up quite well,and when it needs sharpening,I just spring the scraper a little convex,and file the face of it down to sharpen the molding cutter. It thins the scraper each time,but the special shapes are just for a single use,and not expected to last forever.

When the weather gets better,I'll finally take lots of pictures of my inlaid lute,and show some miniature moldings I made for it. I don't think I have the special scrapers any more. Some things were left at the instrument shop when I became toolmaker.

steven c newman
05-06-2014, 6:40 PM
We'll put all that on the back burner. Now, about this Disston D8?288845Awaiting some work on those teeth, and a finish on the tote288846Might be ready for a close up?288847Repaired tote.

Noah Wagener
05-06-2014, 7:55 PM
Crescent moon and star is also the logo of Mathieson. Islam too.

steven c newman
05-06-2014, 8:02 PM
If by the way that simonds plate drilled.....there was full temper in most of the plate, just out by the toe, for about 6" or so, was badly "burnt" and floppy. Teaser for now288851 No money was needed for this. Just a pile of extras, sitting around. Tote is still a work in progress. had to drive that spline on, very tight fit. Plate is very straight, too, no kinks going on.

steven c newman
05-06-2014, 8:04 PM
Well, that being said, these are Simonds MFG Co. Bolts288852with a patent date too...

steven c newman
05-07-2014, 1:30 PM
Well, now that a coat of oil finish is on the Disston D8, how about a look, or two?288896the show off side288897aand a non-showy side. Not too bad for a $2 saw???

Terry Beadle
05-07-2014, 3:28 PM
Excellent for a $2 saw. Looks like it will cut well too. Have you tried it out yet? Xcut or Rip?

Enjoy the saw dust !

steven c newman
05-07-2014, 3:40 PM
Awaiting the finish to dry, for now. ppi looks like 7, no stamp on the plate. Has a lot of set to it, MIGHT just be a crosscut. Just might be a keeper?