PDA

View Full Version : Table saw blade sharpening sources?

Mark Patoka
05-22-2003, 8:28 AM
Hi all,
I've been lurking around the Pond and the Creek for awhile and finally decided to throw this question out to everyone.

I'm considering getting my TS blades sharpened but am having a hard time finding a local source. I've seen a few on the internet that do it through the mail but was wondering who any of you use.

Also, what is the expected or average price to pay? Is sharpening a better alternative than buying new?

Thanks

Rusty Hughes, Indy
05-22-2003, 8:48 AM
Hello,

I have a WWII and 12" 80 tooth Freud CMS blade and so it was worth it to me to get them sharpened instead of buying new.

For sharpening, I have used two places and both are mail order for me. I have used Forrest's sharpening service and Scott Whiting, a Ponder from Arizona. Both gave me excellent service and the blades came back better than new.

Rusty

Ken Salisbury
05-22-2003, 8:51 AM
I use Forrest Blades for my resharpening source.

Jim Becker
05-22-2003, 9:36 AM
Originally posted by Rusty Hughes, Indy
For sharpening, I have used two places and both are mail order for me. I have used Forrest's sharpening service and Scott Whiting, a Ponder from Arizona.

Both sources are excellent. Since you're in the "middle" between them, either is a good choice. I've only used Forrest due to being closer to them as the brown truck travels, but I know Scott has a lot of very, very satisfied customers from his participation on another forum and their comments. (A bunch of whom I've met on my travels, including Scott)

Paul Kunkel
05-22-2003, 11:06 PM
I've used them for a while now and their prices are very competitive. The quality of the sharpening is superior to any I've had done locally. I depend on good sharpening and average 5-8 blades a year + router bits, shaper cutters, & planer and jointer knives that get too bad for me to touch up myself. Jim (the owner) used to post here and on the Pond, and is a real nice guy. They occasionally run specials and sell on ebay on occasion, too.
No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer-as you could be also.