PDA

View Full Version : Hangangle

lowell holmes
05-02-2014, 11:53 AM

Is this what you mean when you talk about it?

Pedro Reyes
05-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Is this what you mean when you talk about it?

I have seen it referenced against the toothline, not the back. The imaginary line is the thrust line, where your force is directed.

/p

PS: A comment on the thrust line, the force is directed there, assuming proper grip on Handsaws, on backsaws, well I think we all hold the tooth line close to horizontal and try to direct the force (contorting our wrists) almost in line with the toothline.

Judson Green
05-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I think there's conflicting ways to measure it, but it is in reference to the tooth line. My comments about above and below the spine were for one saw inparticular, with known height and rake.

Google "Concerning hang angles and saw handles" for some good info.

Jim Matthews
05-02-2014, 2:47 PM
The correct term is "Hangle", not to be confused with "Dangle".

It's also important to note that the distinction between
"Business end" and "bellend".

Pedro Reyes
05-02-2014, 3:39 PM
I think there's conflicting ways to measure it, but it is in reference to the tooth line. My comments about above and below the spine were for one saw inparticular, with known height and rake.

Google "Concerning hang angles and saw handles" for some good info.

Awsome site, thanks. Every example I saw there (in pictures) was to the toothline, to me it makes sense, if spine and toothline are parallel, then it is the same, but other than backsaws it seldom is. And when it comes to measuring forces and deciding angles, it should be measured against toothline (IMO), after all the teeth (rake, fleam, slope) and all it's properties are there.

/p

lowell holmes
05-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Here is a corrected image. I understand the line should be positioned using the hook angle of the teeth.

This makes more sense to me. I was having a difficult time visualizing it.