PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut bowl

Gary Max
06-25-2005, 9:50 PM
Found some Lathe time today. It is 11 inches wide and 6 inches deep---made of Chestnut. Bottom is a little to thick but it was wanting to bust so I had to stop. The sides and top edge came out just the way I wanted.
Finish is BLO --Tung Oil--Minerial Spirits--apply and just wipe off.
Hope you enjoy---Thanks

Bill Stevener
06-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi Gary,

Very nice, looks like you had a great day in the shop. That chestnut is getting quite hard to find, at least where I live.

When you get a chance, how old was the blank?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
06-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Gary, you did yourself proud with that gorgeous hunk of wood. Will your better half allow you to part with that?

Gary Max
06-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Looks like about 50 years old.---this tree fell last year and I cut it up for firewood.
I did save the trunk for turning blanks but a lot of it cracked real bad---I sealed it with Anchorseal --- I think the cold winter got it because it was so wet. Wood freezing and busting is something that I really had not considered or I would of stored it in the shop. There really ain't a lot of Chestnut around here either.

Bill Stevener
06-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Thats a bummer, save all you can, as scarce as it is. Even the small pcs. will make nice turnings. Chestnut can revel some nice grain at times.

Bill.>>>>>>>>

John Miliunas
06-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Gary, that turned out right nice! Never worked with Chestnut before, but it looks real pretty. Nice job, Gary!:) :cool:

Tom Stover
06-26-2005, 7:05 AM
Great bowl Gary. The edge is very neat. I have a chestnut in my backyard I wish would die but my wife won't let me help with its death. :rolleyes: ;)

John Hart
06-26-2005, 7:08 AM
Very cool Gary...Boy, I would love to try a natural edge soon. I just don't feel ready quite yet. Nicely done!

Ernie Nyvall
06-26-2005, 7:25 AM
Real nice Gary. Never seen a chestnut tree... hmmm... reminds me of a song though.

John, you are certainly up early for a weekend morning. :)

Ernie

John Hart
06-26-2005, 7:38 AM
...John, you are certainly up early for a weekend morning. :)

Ernie

Me???? I'm in the east! What about you? :D

Gary Max
06-26-2005, 10:27 AM
John Hart---tools with LONG handles help.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Nice piece Gary! I like the tight grain of that wood!

Michael Stafford
06-26-2005, 2:48 PM
Wow, Gary, I don't know how I missed this post for so long but at least I didn't completely miss it... That is one rugged looking bowl... That should appeal to a lot of people. I worked with some antique chestnut a while back that was salvaged from an old barn. It worked like oak. Did you find turning chestnut similar to turning oak?

Nice piece, really nice!

Gary Max
06-26-2005, 3:01 PM
Mike--- there are several kinds of Chestnut.
This is really Swamp Chestnut Oak.
It is a member of the oak family----it grows in very wet areas---thus the name.
Most of the Chestnut oak I have seen has more color in the grain than this swamp Chestnut oak has.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-26-2005, 3:19 PM
Lookin' GOOOOOOOOOOOOD, Gary.

Bruce