PDA

View Full Version : drilling holes in salt and pepper shakers

paul wiser
05-01-2014, 10:18 PM
having a bad time getting them to come out right. i tried making the jig that is in beall's book, but they are off center. HELP please. thanks:confused::rolleyes:

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2014, 2:38 AM
More info would help! I don't know what kind of shaker or grinder you're trying to turn, or what is in Beall's book, but I drill the blank first. Use a dry blank. From a piece of scrap, turn a shouldered tenon (or 2 if it's a grinder) to fit in the drilled hole(s). Use the tenon to drive the blank, you have to use the tailstock.

Centered every time.

Dwight Rutherford
05-02-2014, 11:36 AM
One way is to drill one end half way into the blank, then remount the blank so you can drill from the other end down to the center so the two holes meet up. They may not center in the middle but that doesn't matter. Holes in the ends will be centered in the blank.

Jerry Rhoads
05-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Paul is asking about shakers, not grinders

Dave Dula
05-02-2014, 7:23 PM
I made a jig similar to what I think is in the beall book, what I figured out is not to drill the center hole with the jig.

I drill the center hole on the lathe and then did the perimeter holes on the jig. That way you don't have to move the jig once you get started just rotate it.

Clint Merrill
05-03-2014, 10:07 PM
I just completed 8 sets of salt and pepper shakers as gifts for family and friends, here is how I did mine, maybe this will be useful for you to consider, worked out great and quickly aligned the holes. As Dave says, drill the center hole on the lathe, about 5/64 drill works good , next prepare a 1" dia. {usual size for bungs} about 3/4 in. long to fit into the bottom of your shakers, with a 1/2" tennon an inch or more to be held into a pen vise or block of wood.

Now, make a circular template of cardboard or thin plywood on the lathe a little larger than the base of your shakers, use the index on the lathe to divide the number of holes you want, using the tool rest draw lines thru the center. Now you can get 2,4,6 etc. Next drill a 1/2" hole in the center, remove from the lathe and attach it to the turned 1/2" tennon so you can see the division lines with the shaker setting on the 1" post.

Now you can mount this into a block with a 1/2" hole on the drill press about 1/2" from the center hole and rotate to each hole you want drilled. Make a reference mark on the block and rotate to it. I used a small piece of double sided tape between the shaker and template to keep them aligned.

Hope this will help you , Clint Merrill

paul wiser
05-04-2014, 9:00 PM
I just completed 8 sets of salt and pepper shakers as gifts for family and friends, here is how I did mine, maybe this will be useful for you to consider, worked out great and quickly aligned the holes. As Dave says, drill the center hole on the lathe, about 5/64 drill works good , next prepare a 1" dia. {usual size for bungs} about 3/4 in. long to fit into the bottom of your shakers, with a 1/2" tennon an inch or more to be held into a pen vise or block of wood.

Now, make a circular template of cardboard or thin plywood on the lathe a little larger than the base of your shakers, use the index on the lathe to divide the number of holes you want, using the tool rest draw lines thru the center. Now you can get 2,4,6 etc. Next drill a 1/2" hole in the center, remove from the lathe and attach it to the turned 1/2" tennon so you can see the division lines with the shaker setting on the 1" post.

Now you can mount this into a block with a 1/2" hole on the drill press about 1/2" from the center hole and rotate to each hole you want drilled. Make a reference mark on the block and rotate to it. I used a small piece of double sided tape between the shaker and template to keep them aligned.

Hope this will help you , Clint Merrill

clint- can you by any chance draw me a rough diagram? i just can't to seem to visualize it. sorry to be a pain. appreciate your help. thanks paul

Clint Merrill
05-05-2014, 6:32 PM
Paul, I would really like to draw you one but, I don't know how to do it on the computer, if you wish I will try and get a friend to help me take some pictures and send them email. I don't know how to post pics here otherwise would be glad to do that, another option is to call me I think I can help that way too. Clint

Clint Merrill
05-05-2014, 6:34 PM
Paul, my email is clintdsn@swbell.net

John King
05-07-2014, 9:31 AM
In my opinion, you guys are making this way too hard. Square ends of blank. Drill salt/pepper cavity in center of the blank using drill press. Put a cone on live center. Mount blank between centers with drilled hole on tailstock. Tailstock cone will center the blank. Turn and finish. Hole for salt/pepper (or salt and pepper inserts, Crafts Supplies USA, #103-188) will be in the center of shakers. It's not that complicated and does not require any special jigs, tools, etc. - John

Dave Dula
05-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Depends what you want. These kind of salt and pepper shakers are made entirely of wood. Your just building a nice cover for the inserts

John King
05-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Depends what you want. These kind of salt and pepper shakers are made entirely of wood. Your just building a nice cover for the inserts

Not true. Process works for salt/pepper shakers made entirely of wood and those made to house glass/plastic inserts. It's just a matter of hole size. Hole size is set by diameter of salt/pepper shaker cap or insert. - John

paul wiser
05-08-2014, 11:20 PM
In my opinion, you guys are making this way too hard. Square ends of blank. Drill salt/pepper cavity in center of the blank using drill press. Put a cone on live center. Mount blank between centers with drilled hole on tailstock. Tailstock cone will center the blank. Turn and finish. Hole for salt/pepper (or salt and pepper inserts, Crafts Supplies USA, #103-188) will be in the center of shakers. It's not that complicated and does not require any special jigs, tools, etc. - John

i do not want to use a metal insert in the shakers. i am trying to drill holes in the wood top. think i have come up with a solution. thanks

Richard Jones
05-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Center one on the lathe, other ones per AW 22.1:58-60. I just made a jig from sheet metal.

Clint Merrill
05-13-2014, 7:16 PM
Hey Paul.. I see where you said you have it all figured out, congrats !!! Any chance you c an post some pic's, would love to see them , Clint