PDA

View Full Version : 332B 3/4 HP Baldor Buffer

David Cramer
05-01-2014, 7:32 PM
Hello Creekers

I have a 332B 3/4 HP Baldor Grinder/Buffer that will not start. For anyone familiar with this buffer, would you know what would cause it to simply not start? If it's not the switch what should I be looking for? Could it be the motor itself, just bad luck?

The motor tag says 115/230 volts on it but the plug is not set up for 220, so I assume that it means it's an option for the electrically advanced to change if they want to.

Great buffer, but not working:(

Thanks in advance.

David

p.s. If not, I'll have to bring it in somewhere, just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

mark kosse
05-01-2014, 8:45 PM
Does it hum or make any noise? It has a start capacitor under the base but if it's not making any noise it's probably a bad contact somewhere.

Tom M King
05-01-2014, 8:49 PM
Any part of that grinder can be replaced or rebuilt, so don't worry too much. I'd buy one of those that didn't start instead of a new cheap one.

David Cramer
05-01-2014, 9:39 PM
Hi Mark

Thanks Mark:) Nope, no noise whatsoever. I saw the start capacitor as I did open up the bottom and was going to get the numbers off of it. But if you're saying I should hear a hum if it's bad, then that eliminates the capacitor as far as what else to check out. I can't find any bad contact anywhere but I'll check again tomorrow.

Hi Tom

Thanks Tom:) and my sentiments exactly. If I can't find the problem, I am going to take it to a Baldor place right here in Macomb County. I'll see what they charge to check it out and hope for the best:)

David

mark kosse
05-02-2014, 1:29 PM
David, I can't say it should always hum if the capacitor is bad but it usually does. Do you have access to a volt/ohm meter to check the switch? Look up discharging a capacitor and start checking everything. You can't really check the windings but you can rule a few things out with an ohm meter.

Ron Kellison
05-02-2014, 2:37 PM
If it makes absolutely no noise when you try to start it up I would suspect it's nothing more than a broken wire, probably in the switch. The magic smoke may have escaped from the motor but I doubt it.

David Cramer
05-02-2014, 9:38 PM
Thanks Mark and I will definitely be checking that tomorrow morning. My buddy has a fluke meter and will be bringing it by to check out exactly what you've alluded to.

Thanks Ron. I'm actually checking all the wires tomorrow morning as well when I get the meter. Hoping for the best:):):) I agree about the motor as there is nothing on start up, zero.

I'll post the problem tomorrow or the day after, depending on what we find out.

Much appreciated fellas and I sincerely mean that.

David

David Cramer
05-03-2014, 6:08 PM
Thanks so much for all of the advice Mark, Tom and Ron. Yes, it ended up being the switch (Ron:)), internally broken.

The Fluke meter verified it. Runs fantastically and I am going to be using it strictly to buff pen finishes to a high gloss when the wood calls for it, no grinding whatsoever. Great Buffer, American made, and should last me a long, long time. Thanks again for your responses and interest in helping me...cheers!

David