PDA

View Full Version : People are funny...

Chuck Wintle
05-01-2014, 5:22 PM
my old laptop quit working and rather than send it to the landfill I decided to give it away for free. In the ad I stated..."does not work" so the person who responded to the ad came to pick it up. No problem. Would you believe later that day he phoned to complain the laptop did not work???? I almost said..."no problem there is a money back guarantee". LOL. But in the end he just went away. :D

glenn bradley
05-01-2014, 6:00 PM
The failure of our education system never ceases to amaze me. I mean. . . "does not work" . . . you even used single syllable words.

ray hampton
05-01-2014, 7:54 PM
people can not see except what they want

Tom Stenzel
05-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Leftouple of years ago I threw out an old car seat my daughter had outgrown. A short while later while talking to a neighbor, a guy driving by stopped and picked through my trash. He then proceeded to yell at me, the seat was missing some parts.

Left the neighbor and me just about doubled over in laughter.

-Tom

ken masoumi
05-02-2014, 1:05 PM
Giving things away for free to strangers is not an easy task,I had to join a "free recycling group "(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo) during the time we were moving from our house, to give away old tools,computer monitors,dishes, toasters,tv stands etc.all useable items that we did not want to take with us.

we tried the CL route first but people acted like we owed an explanation to why is the item free,some didn't even show up after they asked us to keep something aside for them .

Eric DeSilva
05-02-2014, 2:11 PM
I will never give things away on CL any more--had people harassing me and yelling at me because they thought they'd "claimed" it first, when I actually gave it away to the first email response I'd gotten. Now, if I want to get rid of something, its "curb alert" with an note that I'm not even going to read emails and that it's first come first served--including the trash men. I usually try to do this stuff 24 hours before trash pickup.

Brian Elfert
05-02-2014, 2:37 PM
I've really never had issues with giving things away on Craigslist. I am very clear if free items don't work or potentially don't work and that I won't take them back.

The biggest pain I ever had with Craigslist was selling a $10 window air conditioner that seemed to work. Everything I sell is strictly AS-IS. The buyer claimed it would freeze up after running several hours and that very well may have been true because I never ran it that long. He kept calling me and harassing me about getting his $10 back. He claimed he needed the $10 to buy another air conditioner. It would have cost him almost as much in gas as the $10 he would get back. He also started bitching about the gas money he spent to come get the A/C unit. I finally mailed him $40 in cash to shut him up. $10 for the A/C unit, $10 for his gas, and $20 to pay for legally disposing of the unit. I'm certain he used the $40 to buy another air conditioner and illegally dumped the old unit somewhere.

Lee Schierer
05-02-2014, 3:21 PM
When I have items I want to get rid of for free. I just carry them out to our road and lean them against the light pole. I hang a sign on it that says free and it usually disappears shortly after dark if not sooner.

Dave Anderson NH
05-02-2014, 4:05 PM
In our town you need to get a $5 permit to take a dead appliance to the transfer station. For working items and useful stuff we have a swap building at the transfer station where everything is free. It's one of the joys of a small town. Other things happen too. Tomorrow for instance the American Legion Auxiliary is running their annual Electronics Day. People bring and drop off both working and dead electronic items and the Auxiliary recycles them. Working items get sold cheap and a recycling company pays the auxiliary for the dead stuff. All of the money goes to community projects. I think it is one of the ultimate win/win scenarios.

Brian Elfert
05-02-2014, 4:50 PM
everything is free. It's one of the joys of a small town. Other things happen too. Tomorrow for instance the American Legion Auxiliary is running their annual Electronics Day. People bring and drop off both working and dead electronic items and the Auxiliary recycles them. Working items get sold cheap and a recycling company pays the auxiliary for the dead stuff. All of the money goes to community projects. I think it is one of the ultimate win/win scenarios.

I'm surprised the American Legion gets money for the broken stuff. At work, we pay something close to 50 cents a pound to have broken or obsolete electronics recycled. Now, that does include transportation to the recycling company. We won't contact the recycling company until we have at least several 53 foot trailer loads of stuff to recycle. Often, we will have old, but still working, electronics that the recycling company will pay us for. Our goal is not to owe the recycling company any money in the end.

David Weaver
05-02-2014, 4:54 PM
When you live rural, or even urban, there's a market for used appliances. I can see that they'd get money for the ones that work, and even the ones that have something minor wrong with them if there's an independent shop owner there.

ken masoumi
05-02-2014, 5:47 PM
When you live rural, or even urban, there's a market for used appliances. .
Not only appliances,just about anything that still works.I recently saw an ad "toilet auger for sale"used once!! He must have used it to open up his toilet and now,,,he has no use for it ,why not sell it.

Frederick Skelly
05-02-2014, 8:10 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.
-Forrest Gumpp

Myk Rian
05-02-2014, 8:22 PM
Giving things away for free to strangers is not an easy task,I had to join a "free recycling group "(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo) during the time we were moving from our house, to give away old tools,computer monitors,dishes, toasters,tv stands etc.all useable items that we did not want to take with us.
I also use the freecycle groups at yahoo. I picked up a Cman 8" saw with a 6" jointer once. They were only good for parts, but at least I used them

Bob Chapman
05-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Many years ago I had a couple of sinks laying around from a bathroom remodel. I placed them on the edge of my yard next to a FREE sign made from a piece of cardboard stapled to a stick. In very short order, someone stopped and picked them up. That reminded me of two tires that were taking up space in the garage. I placed them at the sign and began thinking about what else I could give away. Not long after a pick up truck stopped. I watched as the driver threw the tires into the truck and then pulled the sign out of the ground and threw it in too :eek:.

Maybe he needed that also or just thought he was helping me out with something I didn't need since the tires were gone. Either way, that was the end of that project:).