PDA

View Full Version : chisel handles

Roger Rettenmeier
05-01-2014, 2:53 PM
I have a couple socket firmer chisels that I am going to put handles on. I have no ash, but I do have Osage Orange and Apple that should do just fine. Might one be better than the other? I already know that cured out Osage is pretty tough to work with, so I am leaning toward apple.

Sean Hughto
05-01-2014, 3:05 PM
Both should work. The Osage Orange is a bit harder and has a more interlocked grain. The apple will be lighter and, as you say, a bit easier to work.

I handled a Berg with a bit of Osage I rescued from the firewood pile and it has held up well. Here's a pic - in the middle, between the knife and red pencil:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5492/12576287935_be426b778c_b.jpg

Roger Rettenmeier
05-01-2014, 4:10 PM
Thanks Sean,

Just looking for some confirmation. I use a 2x2x6 maple mallet for banging on chisels, and figured either would hold up. I recently made a tote and knob for a pre VBM Sargent plane out of osage. The Osage is already riven, so I will probably go with it.

Alfred Kraemer
05-01-2014, 8:03 PM
I just turned a handle for what looks like the same chisel, a 1/2inch wide Berg shark brand paring chisel. I have used osage and hawthorn before but mostly I use hickory. I saw a sledge hammer handle in a hardware store bargain bin a few years ago with good straight grain and substantial growth rings, few pores.
I keep the shape simple, just a longish oval.

Alfred

Pete Duffy
05-01-2014, 8:21 PM
The osage will hold up. As a kid, I lived on a farm and we cut osage orange, or hedge, for firewood and fence posts. I have busted many axe handles on that stuff.

Alfred Kraemer
05-01-2014, 9:11 PM
For a paring chisel like that any of the woods would more than tough enough. And yes osage is not only tough but also beautiful, gets a little darker with age and use, turns really well,too.