PDA

View Full Version : A serious Piece of Carbide

lowell holmes
05-01-2014, 2:51 PM
I'm building a new back door and needed to create a rabbet for the glass and it's retainer frame. I purchased the Amana Tool Superrabbet 2" dia, 1/2" shank along with its interchangeable collar set. The collars allow you to vary the width of the rabbet. This is a very substantial bit. Instructions advised to cut the rpm's on the router. I used it in my Dewalt 621 and ran the bit at 50 % speed.

The chip out was almost non existent, you cant see any, the surfaces look planed both with the grain and cross grain.

I thought you might like to know about it, as I was hesitant to buy it.

I'm really impressed with it.

Peter Quinn
05-01-2014, 6:44 PM
The chip out was almost non existent, you cant see any.....

Lowell, you are right, I can't see any chip out...or any thing at all for that matter! No pics, didn't happen, house rules....

On more serious not, that looks like quite a rabbit bit set.

Michael Kellough
05-01-2014, 9:47 PM
Lowell, you are right, I can't see any chip out...or any thing at all for that matter! No pics, didn't happen, house rules....

On more serious not, that looks like quite a rabbit bit set.

Reminds me, my wife just opened a book that starts with a quote from Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass.

"I see nobody on the road," said Alice.
"I only wish that I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone.
"To be able to see Nobody! And at that distance too!
Why, it's as much as I can do see real people, by this light!"

lowell holmes
05-02-2014, 10:20 AM
It's obvious that I should have used the English term "rebate". The name on the bit is Superrabbet. Now, I am always confused as to the spelling. Is it rabit, rabbit, rebate, or rabbet?

I bet I'm not the only one that has this confusion. :)

You can look at the bit below. I'm not selling anything, but I can tell you when you put it in the router, it fills the router up and is a bit intimidating. It is very well balanced and I'm amazed at how smoothly it runs. I guess the mass of the bit is enough to bite into the wood and do it's job.

I'm not selling anything, but when I come across a well designed tool, I like to pass it on.

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Amana-49360-SUPERRABBET-2-DIA-1-2-SHANK-p/ama-49360.htm

Peter Quinn
05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
I tend to think the English are more correct in their use of wood working terms, after all what does that particular piece of wood shaping have to do with small furry large eared mammals? Rebate makes to me more sense, but it's not the term I've heard applied here in the USA. As to the spelling, I'm one of the worst spellers on the planet and rely primarily on context for this sort of thing. I'm still claiming you don't actually own this bit until we see a picture of you holding your router covered in fresh chips. Totally for the crowds benefit. Adds scale to the thing, a good close up of the crisp edge adds visual richness. I've been meaning to get a proper rabbit set, I rely on the shaper for most of my rabbits (talk about a piece of carbide). But now and then an occasion arises where it's more convienent to take tool to wood, and my present $5 green woodcraft bit is not always up to the task, especially 5k lineal feet later. Did you buy a whole kit or do they offer just the bit with a single bearing?

lowell holmes
05-02-2014, 3:10 PM
I bought the bit with the bearing on it, then I became aware that they offered additional bearings and ordered the bearings separately.

I have a shaper also, but I use it for other things normally. My shaper is manual feed and is a bit scary to run. It is good for cope and stick joinery though.

John Piwaron
05-02-2014, 4:25 PM
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/49360.html

Apparently there is a version with carbide insert tooling. Big indeed.

Moses Yoder
05-02-2014, 5:32 PM
A rabbit is a furry little creature with great big ears. A rabbet is let into the edge of a piece of wood, different from a dado. A rebate is what you get when the manufacturer feels sorry for making you pay so much for something and sends you a check for 50 cents in the mail.

Rod Sheridan
05-02-2014, 8:25 PM
[QUOTE=lowell holmes;2262129]It's obvious that I should have used the English term "rebate". The name on the bit is Superrabbet. Now, I am always confused as to the spelling. Is it rabit, rabbit, rebate, or rabbet?

I bet I'm not the only one that has this confusion. :)

LOL...........Lowell, my wife is English and states that all colonials (and especially former colonials) have no right to call what they speak English, as it certainly isn't.

So I guess I'll opt for rebate.:D

Peter Quinn
05-02-2014, 9:13 PM
I bought the bit with the bearing on it, then I became aware that they offered additional bearings and ordered the bearings separately.

I have a shaper also, but I use it for other things normally. My shaper is manual feed and is a bit scary to run. It is good for cope and stick joinery though.

I've set up my shaper with a long auxiliary fence, stops at both ends, and done stop rabbets on narrow boards. Scary? First time, gives you pause. Hand feed, proper set up, it works. And the results are fantastic. Power feed is there for through ploughs, sure makes things easier. I'm going to try the Amana bit first chance on your endorsement.

lowell holmes
05-02-2014, 11:28 PM
That's why I made the post. When I first saw the bit, I was taken back by the shear size of it. But, it runs in my Dewalt 610 and 620 routers.

Peter Quinn
05-03-2014, 7:40 PM
Here is some more serious carbide. The small cutter is almost 3" diameter for reference, the next is 4", then 5" and just under 8" (takes out a 1/2" deep by 2 1/8" wide rabbet in one pass for door jambs). Luckily none for these fits in a router. 2" is one serious rabbet cutter, that is nearly as large as a small raised panel bit. wonder if that will fit in my bosch colt......:rolleyes: