PDA

View Full Version : Any places other than Craigslist to find used equipment...

Michael Yadfar
05-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I'm looking for an older used Delta stationary planer, and Craigslist is limited on planers all together. I've been keeping an eye out, but I'm wondering if there are any good online auction sites for this kind of stuff

Kim Gibbens
05-01-2014, 2:13 PM
Check for local auctions, great source for used equipment. May have to be patient, but be prepared when they do come up.

Mike Olson
05-01-2014, 2:18 PM
There is the ebay version of craigslist.
i'm assuming your near Philadelphia...

It's not as popular as craigslist. my local one seems to have more retail advertisers on there than average people.

Loren Woirhaye
05-01-2014, 2:26 PM
A few years ago at least there was a lot of inventory of used industrial machinery in PA. There were furniture factories there. The crazier you're willing to be in terms of machine weight-class and 3 phase power, the more machine you can get for your money... like a lot more.

IRS (industrial recovery services) runs online auctions of plant liquidations all over the country. They don't come up close to me often though so I don't track it. There are some school liquidators that run through ebay. Local auction houses sometimes get machinery and of course there are whole forgotten shops in barns in some parts of the country that get sold in farm auctions.

MachineryMax started out handling auctions on the West Coast mostly but they've done a few in the East.

I kid you not, put up a little flier in hardware stores that says you're looking for some woodworking machines and sooner or later you'll get a call from a widow who doesn't use a computer.

Paul Incognito
05-01-2014, 2:43 PM
Hey Michael,
I've found almost everything in my shop either on craigslist or the classifieds on forums like this. The key is patience and persistence. I check at least once a day and if I see something that I'm interested in, I call or email right away. Ive waited on some stuff and come back to it a couple hours later and it's gone.
I'm not that far south from you and I check the South Jersey, Philly and Delaware craigslist. And if there's something I really need I'll do a search for it on the main page and it'll bring up stuff in Baltimore, Lancaster and beyond. I was looking for a feeder a few weeks ago and found one using this method in VA's Eastern Shore. A bit of a drive, but worth it to me.
If you're patient, eventually it'll come up.
I've checked out the auctions, but have yet yo buy from one. Although I have seen some good deals.
Paul

Jerome Stanek
05-01-2014, 2:52 PM
check out HGR industrial they are located in Cleveland

Bryan Rocker
05-01-2014, 3:07 PM
I would recommend some of the following

Woodweb

Johnweber

Machineking

CIA-auction

cnczone

Bryan

So far my best gloat came from craigslist.....

Cary Falk
05-01-2014, 3:10 PM
government liquidators.

Steve Rozmiarek
05-01-2014, 3:36 PM
Isn't there something on facebook like craigslist? One of my coworkers uses it to buy and sell often anyhow. I don't use facebook, so I don't know anything about it.

Loren Woirhaye
05-01-2014, 3:51 PM
Advanced google search will bring up craigslist results nationwide, which isn't so useful for "table saw" but for something like "12" jointer" it is.

Here's how. Type the following into a google search box:

site:craigslist.org/tls 12" jointer

Peter Kelly
05-01-2014, 4:16 PM
I've got a Makita 2030 J/P for sale in Glen Mills PA if you're interested. Can deliver locally.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?216594-Makita-2030N-Southeastern-PA

Bradley Gray
05-01-2014, 5:40 PM
lots of cool stuff here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/classifieds/ads.aspx (http://vintagemachinery.org/classifieds/ads.aspx)

Jim Matthews
05-01-2014, 6:40 PM
Enter the following string in your browser:

site:craigslist.org name of item to be searched
This will bring results outside of the regional
search for Craigslist.

Reply to adverts with your telephone number and request a call.

Loren Woirhaye
05-02-2014, 2:18 AM
Pennysavers too. You may be able to place a want ad for free. Their policies vary regionally I reckon and they may be dying off. Before the internet really took off I bought stuff through the local Pennysaver and also "the Recycler", which was a so-cal print rag where you paid for the paper but ads were generally free. Since the 'net took off Recycler may have expanded. Sometimes these old rags are all sellers are familiar with.

Look here:

http://www.recycler.com/search?distance=9999&location=Whittier%2c+CA&keyword=planer

Sam Puhalovich
05-02-2014, 6:18 AM
SearchTempest will let you set a 'radius' ... that will then simultaneously check all the cities craigslists within that radius.

Rich Riddle
05-02-2014, 7:48 AM
I would recommend some of the following

Woodweb

Johnweber

Machineking

CIA-auction

cnczone

Bryan

So far my best gloat came from craigslist.....
Woodweb is great. Hadn't heard about CIA Auction but there is an IRS auction not affiliated with the government.

Joe Kieve
05-02-2014, 8:11 AM
You might try these folks...http://www.irsauctions.com/index.asp

Steve Menendez
05-02-2014, 9:57 AM
I manage a small manufacturing facility. We get a lot of notifications of auctions at commercial facilities, many of which are going out of business.Bidspotter.com is a service that we use. You can search their main site for current auctions, upcoming auctions, etc.They generally have live auctions, during which you can bid online.I have no affiliation with them, only that we have used their services to buy metalworking tools and equipment with success.Best of luck,Steve.