PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Can Lacquer

Art Mann
05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
I like to spray solvent based lacquer with my HVLP conversion gun because I get good results quickly. Unfortunately, setup and cleanup can be more work than applying the finish on small jobs. I carve signs and plaques in walnut, cherry and maple with my CNC router and using conventional equipment for small batches just isn't practical. I would like to use rattle can lacquer and am looking for a good brand. I tried Rust-Oleum and it is thoroughly unsatisfactory. The nozzle puts out a tight conical pattern that makes it difficult to get an even finish. No matter how hard I try, I can't eliminate orange peel. It isn't lack of experience as I can get good results with my HVLP sprayer. I am looking for a recommendation. I would also appreciate recommendations for other types of spray varnish that might be suitable.

On a related subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a small and super easy to clean HVLP sprayer that I could use for this application?

Prashun Patel
05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I like Deft rattlecan lacquer. The tip rotates so you can do vertical or horizontal fans. I find it perfect for small projects.

I have also used Minwax spray lacquer, but for whatever reason, the Deft just performs and looks better to me.

David Eisenhauer
05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
+1 Deft for smaller jobs.

John TenEyck
05-01-2014, 12:27 PM
I use a gravity feed HVLP setup and cleanup is pretty trivial although I normally spray only shellac and WB products. Dump out the cup, drain what little is left in the gun, and flush with appropriate solvent. Except when spraying OB paint, clean up is less than 2 minutes. 3M makes a system that can be fit onto a gravity feed gun (sorry, can't remember the name), and I think you can remove the cup and screw on a cap so you don't even have to clean out the cup.

John

Jim Rimmer
05-01-2014, 1:20 PM
Another vote for Deft.

Mike Monroe
05-01-2014, 3:09 PM
And another +1 vote for Deft. I've finished a queen sized that has paneled head and foot boards with Deft. Took 3-4 cans, lot of sq. footage on those panels, but it was worth it for the convenience and time saved.

Art Mann
05-01-2014, 7:35 PM
I rarely see such a consensus. I reckon I will be trying Deft spray lacquer. I have sprayed Deft brushing lacquer with my HVLP gun and it works well. Thanks for the good advice!

Brian W Smith
05-02-2014, 5:18 AM
The Deft spray bomb is an option.Reason for post is to +1 for a gravity HVLP gun,with a twist.I machined an aluminum,internally threaded pce that allows us to connect the small(touch up) cup on top of a regular,full size gun.Can clean in about the same amt of time as it takes to properly shake a can?Just sayin,it IS possible to cut your cleaning time to the bone.A 1 G plastic jug(like anti-freeze comes in),with a rag held around guns tip and the jugs opening..........is used as a catch can,what little gets on rag is used for guns exterior.I'll usually walk outside,but to be honest it's almost clean enough to do in your living rm?