PDA

View Full Version : Older Grizzly 18" Bandsaw Value

Joe A Faulkner
05-01-2014, 12:54 AM
Anyone own one of these? It is an 18" Grizzly. I'm curious as to what you think fair value of this saw might be.

http://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_lGiNIvFFltG_600x450.jpg

Earl McLain
05-01-2014, 7:03 AM
Joe--i almost posted that same question yesterday afternoon. Even googling images, i only found one that was close, a 1986 model--and the model number for that didn't come up on Grizzly's web site. If there are not many around, and not many "clone" versions--the possibility of finding spare/replacement parts would keep me from being anywhere near his asking price for this one. I'd like to move up to an 18" but it won't be soon!!

Brian W Smith
05-01-2014, 8:14 AM
Like realestate,location is a prime consideration.So,if used equipment is falling from the sky,and/or a BS behind every bush....then prices will be on the low to,very low side.But you can also be in an area where there just isn't ANY equipment.....a "dry" area so to speak.Pricing is effected accordingly.

The other thing(concerning parts/service),and this is a little more philosophical....but I feel strongly that it's a proper direction;As a shop owner,you owe it to yourself to develop resources that allow you to move in a positive direction WRT parts and service.It might be something as simple as a gear(pulley) puller.If it has an electric motor,then it has certain items.Most likely a pulley/s,wiring connections,dust management,etc,etc.So,be proactive in buying a few tools that will help your shop keep on top of maintenance.Develop or maybe network and find some help.Check local welding supply place for names of retired weldors.Ask them if theres any garage machine shops in your area.Find a really good industrial electrician who'll make "house calls".....he's a machine guy,not a Mr. fixit WRT to your house's elect problems.Like the other guys on your list,make it known exactly what/where your shop stands.

Once you have an understanding of how these machines are built.......finding appropriate,"work arounds" just aren't that big of a problem.But,you need to develop these areas before a problem arises.It really will open up your possibilities when looking at equipment.Good luck.....I'd go 300 for the saw,maybe a touch higher if it was in perfect shape.

Jeff Folkert
05-01-2014, 9:05 AM
If you do decide to go with the saw or are interested in advance I have an electronic copy of the owners manual for that saw.

John McClanahan
05-01-2014, 9:26 AM
The frame doesn't look like it would very strong for a saw of that size.

John

Bill Space
05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Hi,

I have that exact saw and I am up in the air as to how much I like it. I would rather have something different. I don't like the blade tension capability (weak). I put a 1 inch blade (3/4 inch between teeth) on mine and use it for thicker wood.

I upgraded mine to roller bearing guides (from Grizzly) years ago. Also made modifications for dust collection like the one you posted the picture of. Not sure I would attempt to sell mine for $500. I replaced the start/stop switch with something better after it failed. I am not saying this is a terribly bad saw, just that I would like to have something better at some point... Probably worth $350 or a little more since it comes with extra blades, but you don't know how much life is left in those blades, if any.

Edit: forgot to add that the height adjustment is lacking as it uses a round 1" bar which slides up and down, and which is not keyed in any way or prevented from twisting when you raise and lower it. So each time you change the height, you have to twist it back so the guides are orientated properly with the blade. A bit of a PITA...

Loren Woirhaye
05-01-2014, 1:41 PM
$250-$350 is around what I've seen that Taiwan pattern go for.

Joe A Faulkner
05-01-2014, 9:10 PM
Thanks for the information. I put a few questions to the seller, and learned the saw has sold, so kind of makes this a mute point. I was debating on whether I wanted to go 300-350 for this or wait until I have saved for new saw. He was asking $500.