PDA

View Full Version : Best depth gauge I've seen

Bob Bergstrom
04-30-2014, 10:39 PM
One of our club members made this gauge to measure the thickness in the bottom of a bowl. The ruled section zeroes to the front surface of the chuck. The curved device is equal to the spindle height of the lathe. When slid to the center of the bowl the lower straight edge covers the colored rule. The visible measurement equals the wood left in the bottom of the bowl. Sliding Pieces are made to fit the ways of the desired lathe. This device takes all the guess work out and is dirty simple to use.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Clever! I plan on stealing that idea!

Richard Jones
05-01-2014, 4:25 AM
In another life I'd call that a Preacher.......

great idea

Thom Sturgill
05-01-2014, 7:45 AM
Looks like it should work well for either tenon or recess, and could be adapted to deep hollow forms easily. Definitely worth trying.

Bob Bergstrom
05-01-2014, 9:00 AM
Looks like it should work well for either tenon or recess, and could be adapted to deep hollow forms easily. Definitely worth trying.
That's exactly what another member said when he saw it. Perhaps replacing the curve section with a rod that would slide into a deep form. It should work well.

Thom Sturgill
05-01-2014, 9:27 AM
A simpler form (post and rod on the base) would allow a rod to be adjusted to the chuck before mounting the piece in the chuck. Then lock the rod in place with a set screw or lock nuts. This would allow for offsets from faceplates, etc. - so this is what I will build. A long 3/8" rod sharpened on one end can be used for a center finder as shown by Tim Yoder in his recent video, so the rod could do double duty if rounded on one end and sharpened on the other and a thumb screw or set screw would make for easy removal/adjustment and positive lock. I have an aluminium block that should work for the upright.

Dave Paine
05-01-2014, 9:55 AM
A creative idea.

I went with a simpler method. I picked up a steel rule from a combination square at a flea market, cost only $2.

I routed a shallow groove for the rule, then drilled a hole for a 1/2in dia rare earth magnet. This holds the rule, but allows it to slide. Gives me a direct measurement of the inside of the bowl.

Thom Sturgill
05-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Dave, this is fine but two issues - first a flat ended ruler creates an error at the bottom of a rounded bottom bowl, and second it measures the distance from the rim, which can change from the original during turning, to the bottom, not the thickness of the bottom. That is what the other design measures directly. Many of us have turned fine funnels using that technique.:eek:

Adrian Anguiano
05-02-2014, 12:01 PM
This technique was in American Woodturner magazine a couple years back.

Dennis Nagle
05-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Kind of cool looking rig, but I still prefer sticking my gouge in the bowl and marking the rim with my thumb. Sort of a built in depth gage.