PDA

View Full Version : Metal Lathes Garage Sale Gloat

Dennis Ford
04-30-2014, 7:21 PM
I bought this lathe at a garage sale last weekend. It is a "Maximat V10-P" set up for US threads (not metric). The motors are three phase and the owner did not have 3 phase available. He said "his brother had turned wood on it years ago". It does not appear to be worn much but has been treated roughly; one gear (phenolic) has several broken teeth and the cog belt (motor to first shaft) is in poor condition. Two of the four gear ratios for spindle speed are not functional until the gear is replaced (one is on order) but both motors and all feed ratios appear to work fine. I also got several accessories including a full set of collets for the milling head.
I have a very old (90 years or more) metal lathe that this will replace, it will be a significant improvement in precision.

Todd Burch
04-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Nice little mill! It's only a gloat if you paid a low price though…

Mac McQuinn
05-01-2014, 3:20 PM
I don't want to know the price as I'm already envious! Good find.......;)
Mac

Terry Beadle
05-01-2014, 4:10 PM
I'm leaning towards Mac... The formula for gloats is 50% price and 50% possession. Of course, that's if your better half approves...hoot!

Rich Kruyer
05-01-2014, 5:31 PM
Great little machine as I have had the exact same one for about 10 years now! Enjoy!

Dennis Ford
05-01-2014, 8:45 PM
With the cost of a gear and a VFD, it adds up to just over $300. GLOAT ALERT

george wilson
05-02-2014, 9:10 AM
The phenolic gear serves to quiet down the rest of the gear train. The Maximat is a fine quality lathe.

I wish I could find garage sales like that,but never have!!!