PDA

View Full Version : Noxious Methane emission control

Rick Potter
04-30-2014, 1:02 PM
My daughter, who lives with us, has a year old Cocker Spaniel that lives in the house. Nicest dog, but it has a bit of a social problem. It emits the most noxious, noisome, fill the room odor you ever smelled. He could run a methane powered generator.

We have experimented with different foods, and found that dog biscuits are the worst contributors. After several brands of ever increasingly priced dog foods, she finally put him on a gluten free diet. His latest food (dry) is all natural, grain free, Buffalo and sweet potato recipe kibble. Made by an outfit called Merrick.

After feeding my 16 year old dog nothing but Pedigree from Costco, the expense of special food is a shocker to me, but thankfully, I don't have to pay it. I am just glad he isn't a vegan.

Then again, I would pay any amount to get rid of this gas mask.

Rick Potter

Ryan Mooney
04-30-2014, 1:08 PM
After feeding my 16 year old dog nothing but Pedigree from Costco, the expense of special food is a shocker to me, but thankfully, I don't have to pay it. I am just glad he isn't a vegan.

Then again, I would pay any amount to get rid of this gas mask.

Rick Potter

Interestingly when we put our dogs on no grain mostly meat based dog food we didn't see our month-month dogfood costs go up much. They seemed to eat less of it than they did the stuff that was half filler and as a nice side effect there was somewhat less dog poo as well.

Lee Schierer
04-30-2014, 1:18 PM
You might want to check with your vet. There could be a serious problem. If the dog is wolfing down the food it is also swallowing lots of air. If it doesn't burp guess where the air goes. Put a small ball in the dish so it has to eat around it and take smaller bites and take longer to eat.

Bruce Page
04-30-2014, 4:03 PM
Our female lab can peel paint. We give her 1 tablespoon of natural yogurt every other day. It didn’t eliminate her problem entirely but made it much more manageable.

Jim Matthews
05-01-2014, 7:03 AM
Isn't "botty burp" mostly indegestible things fermenting in their guts?

Last time I checked, dogs were carnivores.
Feeding them like pigs can't go well.

Good luck with that, we had a shelter dog that would announce his distress,
(* VEET * ) say his true name (* karl * ) and leave the room.

We would follow, shortly thereafter.

Rick Potter
05-01-2014, 1:57 PM
I did check with the daughter, who says he doesn't bolt his food. She also says the new food seems to be helping a lot, and she is happy. At least this pup is not setting off the CO detector, like the last one :eek: .

The daughter tutors kids with dyslexia, many of whom have ADDH, and the dog is being trained as a therapy dog to calm them.

I once mentioned it before, the trainer says the dog would make a good bedbug hunter, as he has a really acute sense of smell. A new career field.

We never had a Cocker Spaniel before, and it is really interesting to watch him run around the yard with his nose to the ground. His ears are so long, I keep waiting to see him trip over them. They actually drag sometimes.

Rick Potter