PDA

View Full Version : turners smock

byron constantine
04-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Where is the best place to buy a smock for the best price? Byron

Roger Chandler
04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
http://www.ptreeusa.com/wood_turner_safety_comfort.htm

http://www.ptreeusa.com/images/Peach%20Graphics/4376_shirt.jpg (http://www.ptreeusa.com/images/Peach%20Graphics/4376_shirt.jpg)

This is one I got.......it is also sold as a welders jacket............I have really liked mine, as it has a snap collar that keeps wood chips from going down inside your shirt.............and it is fairly rugged as well. Could be a little warm in a hot shop in the summer time .........the price is right for $29.95!

Don Orr
04-30-2014, 12:24 PM
I have gone to Salvation Army/Goodwill/thrift stores and picked up nylon windbreakers with a collar that zips all the way up my neck. I had my wife tighten up the left sleeve a little to have less fabric flapping around. They work great-chips don't stick, pockets, and cheap.

Rick Gibson
04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
My wife got me the one from Lee Valley for Christmas. I like it except for the cuffs on the sleeves. Everything seems to stick to them.

Jon McElwain
04-30-2014, 1:43 PM
My wife got me the one from Lee Valley for Christmas. I like it except for the cuffs on the sleeves. Everything seems to stick to them.

I've had the same experience with the Lee Valley smock.

Greg McClurg
04-30-2014, 1:50 PM
+1 on Don's suggestion. I paid $6 for a nylon jacket that zips all the way up the neck. Plus it's light weight so it isn't hot in the summer slips over my sweatshirt easily in the winter. Having used a turner's smock I like the jacket better.

Greg

Hilel Salomon
04-30-2014, 5:05 PM
I bought the AAW ones and the ones made by Sorby. Then I realized that all these things were simply windbreakers, and instead of $40-75., A cheap windbreaker works just as well. You can get them at the end of the season for under $10. I especially like the breathable ones, although those are a bit more expensive, though still less than the first ones I mentioned.
Hilel

Dale Bonertz
04-30-2014, 6:18 PM
I used to use the windbreaker jackets but with the elastic sleeve at the wrist for safety. I like to have a small tape measure, pencil and sharpie on me at all times when I am turning. The pocket styles on the jackets were all slanted and therefore did not hold these items very well. In addition I don't like the long sleeves while turning and during the summer I tended to not where them because I would get to hot. I now use the AAW smock winter and summer and it is very comfortable. The pockets are square cut and have flaps (hold things in but turning dust still gets in them). Mine is almost worn out after several years of use so I am going to buy another this fall at the Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium. Either Phil or Linda are going to be there representing the AAW so I will purchase one from them.

Wayne Lovell
04-30-2014, 7:35 PM
There is a lady in the East Texas Woodturners Club who makes a very nice smock, as I remember she is very reasonable. You can look on their web site and go to the newsletter and look in the classified section, I am sure she would ship on to you.

Dan Wasson
04-30-2014, 8:15 PM
I have gone with a Miller welders smock. Lightweight, inexpensive and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033236W6

Kyle Iwamoto
04-30-2014, 9:48 PM
I used the Craft Supplies smock for years. I like it, it's heavy though, stops the chips from hitting when I rough. Pockets in the back so they don't fill up. Recently got an AAW smock which is light and way more comfortable. Never thought of using a windbreaker. I prefer short sleeves. It's hot enough here as it is...... Look for no pockets. PITA to empty out chips constantly. They find ways around velcro closures somehow. Properly closed zipper would keep them out. Chips find their way into the back pockets of my smock too..... Lots of choices...... I still use my CS smock when roughing. I use the AAW when it's real hot.

Thomas Canfield
04-30-2014, 10:11 PM
There is a lady in the East Texas Woodturners Club who makes a very nice smock, as I remember she is very reasonable. You can look on their web site and go to the newsletter and look in the classified section, I am sure she would ship on to you.

I will add that she also makes shoe covers to keep the curlies out of your shoe laces or inside your shoes. I laughed at some of the turners with their shorts and shoe covers, but I use mine all the time when turning, and most other time in the shop.

Thom Sturgill
05-01-2014, 7:58 AM
I use the AAW smock down here in Florida. My shop is neither heated nor Air Conditioned (yet) and during the summer I have to wear the smock without an undershirt as it would be too hot otherwise, light as it is. I like the breathable panel under the arms and short sleeves. Having lived in South Texas, you have comparable weather to contend with and while expensive I would recommend the AAW smock. Besides, it gives a good impression if demo-ing :D

Dick Mahany
05-01-2014, 9:50 AM
I have the Lee Valley smock and it is the only one I have tried. As commented earlier, EVERYTHING seems to stick to the elastic type cuffs which I find annoying while applying finishes. I do like the Velcro full collar closure and the pencil holders on the sleeves. The double-opening zipper has been a little fiddly on mine and I only use the zipper in one mode, so I count that as a negative also. All in all, it has been pretty good, but I'd be tempted to look for a different one next time.

Mike Campbell KS
05-05-2014, 12:36 PM
The best thing I have used is just a cheap welding jacket w/o any pockets to catch shavings. I wear an XL or XXL to fit over my other clothes, and it is relatively comfortable even in the summer.

Nicolas Silva
05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I have been happy with the one that Woodcraft sells.

Bill Boehme
05-05-2014, 5:14 PM
I use the AAW smock down here in Florida. My shop is neither heated nor Air Conditioned (yet) and during the summer I have to wear the smock without an undershirt as it would be too hot otherwise, light as it is. I like the breathable panel under the arms and short sleeves. Having lived in South Texas, you have comparable weather to contend with and while expensive I would recommend the AAW smock. Besides, it gives a good impression if demo-ing :D

Same here. It isn't the cheapest one, but it is the best in my estimation. It is ventilated, roomy, and lightweight -- it zips all the way up to the neck and has a soft elastic neckband.

Doug Ladendorf
05-05-2014, 6:45 PM
I have the same one Roger linked to which is sold as either a turners smock or welders jacket, but I got the welder version with a bit more "zip" to it. :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0035XCRZA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1399329710&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40