PDA

View Full Version : Do modified china lasers have the same capabilities as a laser from say Trotec?

Rob Werden
04-30-2014, 10:44 AM
I have be seriously be considering adding a laser to my shop as I am starting to farm out more work to laser job shops. The china lasers are 1/4 of the price and I am wondering if the price of say a speedy 400 is justified?

I know the laser beam in a speedy 400 is superior due to the ceramic tube sturdier gantry, better drive motors and many other factors, but the tubes and all the parts that make these high end machines so superior if purchased as repair spares and then installed in a gutted china machine chassis, would they perform the same as in the trotec chassis?

Curious if anyone has ever modded a china laser to use high end parts.
Rob

Kev Williams
04-30-2014, 11:21 AM
I couldn't begin to answer your question, but I know this much-- My Chinese Triumph is SOOOO far and away different from my ULS and New Hermes machines it's mind boggling.

But I've pondered the same question you're asking, sorta... I'm wondering what I might end up with if I had Triumph (for example) build me a machine with an RF controlled laser and upgraded, well, pretty much everything. I'm very happy with my Triumph 1390, and extremely happy with what I paid for it. If they could build a decent RF laser for as inexpensive as my 1390 (relative to the upgrades), I just may get consider getting one.

As for modding myself-- If I had time to mod a machine myself, I wouldn't need another machine at all! But I could definitely use another laser, I had all 3 of mine running past midnight last night, and I have work for a 4th!

Scott Shepherd
04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
I have be seriously be considering adding a laser to my shop as I am starting to farm out more work to laser job shops. The china lasers are 1/4 of the price and I am wondering if the price of say a speedy 400 is justified?

I know the laser beam in a speedy 400 is superior due to the ceramic tube sturdier gantry, better drive motors and many other factors, but the tubes and all the parts that make these high end machines so superior if purchased as repair spares and then installed in a gutted china machine chassis, would they perform the same as in the trotec chassis?

Rob

Short answer is no. I spent a fair amount of time at a trade show last week, looking at Chinese machines. 3 or 4 manufacturers were there, directly from China. Not even in the same ball park as a mainstream machine. If you want to laser cut out objects, you're probably in good shape. If you want to engrave, then they are very different animals. One company told me specifically, "you no want to use this machine to engrave, too slow, use to cut".

A Chinese machine might be right for your business, it might not. Without knowing what you do, what you plan to do, what your expectations are, it's hard to offer more constructive advice.

Clark Pace
04-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi. This topic is very interesting to me. I have owned 2 universal lasers, and 3 china laser. Over all I have worked on 3 USA lasers and 5 China lases. Not just for a day but for many years. So here is my take. Take it for what it is worth.

My Universal lasers were very good machines. Now to the China lasers. Yes they are not as good yet. But in my opinion some do a great job. I have used china lasers that cut really well but are really slow at engraving. I mean really slow!!. But I have use others that engrave just fine.

So here are two images. The first was done on my first china laser. Sold now. But it only cost me $600.00. It was one of those dirt cheap ebay ones. The second picture is from my Redsail laser. And yes it engraves on acrylic really well also. I currently own. A redsail x700 and a shenhui 3050.

Please note:both images were processed using photograv. So in my opinion I get about 85% quality of a USA laser. And replacement parts are very cheap compared to their USA counter parts. I can't afford $25k again, but $3k. Yes!!

I will add one last thing. Now getting a China laser direct from China can be challenging, and you won't have very much support. So if you are very new to the laser world, or not very tech savy, or don't know how use a multi meter for testing if something goes wrong,you might want to look for a USA company that buys the China Lasers,but then do the tech support. Sure they will cost more, but are generally still a lot less than the USA branded lasers.

I won't list them here as there are many discussion here already one that topic. Good Luck!

Bob A Miller
04-30-2014, 1:26 PM
Rob

As a newer member of this site I hesitate to offer advise but as I currently have both ends of the spectrum mentioned I will offer some opinions.

I started with a Chinese Gwieke & decided after a year to get myself a Speedy 400. (being lucky enough to be in a position to do so) As mentioned the Gwieke cuts fine but is challenged on the engraving side. My Gwieke will fire at a min of 12% of power...the Speedy is so much more adjustable that things like paper are simple to do with almost no scorching or burn marks.

I have kept my Gwieke for the bed size & dabbled at selling it. (maybe I still will) But it has been a good machine for me. On the other hand the Trotec is everything people have claimed it to be. The job control software is a bit more challenging to learn (for me) but it is very powerful & useful. Support from Gwieke is available but limited as mentioned... the Trotec guys...can't say enough about them. Very very helpful.

Scott Shepherd
04-30-2014, 2:05 PM
Bob, if I can help you at all with the Job Control, just ask. I'm happy to do some screen sharing to help get you to the next level.

Dave Sheldrake
04-30-2014, 2:12 PM

Rob

Pointless to be honest Rob, the parts required would cost more than the western laser anyhows. RF is good but expensive, the entire control system would need to be changed as would everything else other than the shell.

Be like sticking Ferrari running gear on a ford focus.

cheers

Dave

Rob Werden
04-30-2014, 2:22 PM
All good information. I'm not yet at the point where I can justify 40k for the machine, but I definitely need the engraving quality the higher end machines produce. The shop I farm out to uses the speedy 400 and the quality is incredible. I almost bought an ebay laser, glad I didn't now.

Bob A Miller
04-30-2014, 8:50 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the kind offer. I have enough to get by for now.

Your Trotec training thread helped a lot.. Currently trying to unlearn my default prep for the Gwieke & learn a default Job setup for the Trotec a bit better.

Bob