PDA

View Full Version : Little table finished

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-25-2005, 2:59 PM
The little work/eatin' on table is finished. I sprayed it this morning instead of tomorrow so I could get some other cutting done. Recap...37-3/4 square when closed, with a 12" leaf to bring it out to 49-3/4. Legs 2-3/4 at the top, tapered to 1-3/4 (or so). Edges of the legs are just 'eased off', aprons gave a 3/8" roundover, top 1/2" roundover because I had a chip with the 3/8" :mad:. Probably a bit too much color variation in the top, but I do what I can do with what I've got. :o I probably should've swithched the two outside boards with the two 'inside' boards on the two halves...they woulda matched the leaf better. I didn't think about that until it was too late. Anyhoo, there she is. Thanx for lookin'. :)

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/norma6.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/norma7.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/norma8.jpg

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2005, 3:09 PM
Great looking table KC, I nice job!

Corey

Larry Norton
06-25-2005, 3:10 PM
I think it looks spectacular, Kirk! The color is perfect.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-25-2005, 3:22 PM
KC that looks great and I like that it's an expandable table. You sound like me in that you're too hard on yourself and a perfectionist. Very nice table.

Jim Becker
06-25-2005, 3:32 PM
Looks great, KC! Another super project.

Rob Overton
06-25-2005, 3:44 PM
You have done a masterful job, Again.
Rob

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2005, 4:31 PM
KC.....that simple design is simply elegant! The color.....looks like it belongs to that table........simple.....elegant...it's got class! I like it! Great work!

Richard Wolf
06-25-2005, 4:35 PM
I really like the table. Do yourself a favor, don't point out your mistakes, half the people won't notice, half will think you did it on purpose, and the other half will never say anything anyway.

Richard

Frank Hagan
06-25-2005, 4:45 PM
Very nice! Don't worry about the color variations; at least no one will mistake it for a laminate veneer ... that's real wood, in all its glory. I love the figured wood for the apron. I'm basically a newbie, so I don't recognize the wood. What is it?

Ron Jones near Indy
06-25-2005, 5:02 PM
KC, that is one beautiful table! I like the arrangement on the top--it instantly sends the message that this is a finely crafted table.

Jason Tuinstra
06-25-2005, 5:06 PM
KC, looks great! It looks pretty similar to the table that I'm making right now. Thanks for the extra "push" to try and get it done!

Chris Padilla
06-25-2005, 8:31 PM
God I love Mesquite...wish it wasn't so darn pricey! :) Another beautiful job, Kirk!

Martin Shupe
06-25-2005, 8:34 PM
Nice table, KC. I sure do like the finish. Maybe I should look into getting a sprayer after I get a real shop.

Matt Meiser
06-25-2005, 9:49 PM
Very nice table! Top looks good to me. I wouldn't give it another thought.

Norman Hitt
06-26-2005, 1:35 AM
Very Nice KC. You personally may not be pleased with the grain match on the top, but you sure can't say anything bad about the grain match OR fitment of the apron. I've looked and looked, and can't see either seam with the extra leaf in place or out. Fantastic.

What kind of epoxy did you use to fill the splits? It sure came out nice. How tall is that table?

I did notice that your camera lens needs cleaning though. :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-26-2005, 2:08 AM
I noticed those spots on the last pictures I took, and I wiped it down before these. I have no idea what they are. :confused: :mad:

Table is 28-1/2" tall. Customer is an older, short woman who quilts and will use it primarily for a cutting table. The top is sized around her cutting mat (or whatever you call it).

As usual, the color looks much better in the picture than it does in person...and the seams are noticeable. The pieces that meet in the middle when the two halves are closed are from one piece split in the middle, so that obviously matches well. The apron pieces are cut from one long piece so the apron looks 'continuous' when the leaf is in, and pretty close when it's not.

Overall, I'm pleased with it. I mention the 'flaws' to save folks the trouble of pointing them out. :D

Thanks for the kind words, all.

KC

Bill Arnold
06-26-2005, 6:32 AM
Good looking table, Kirk!!!

Brian Hale
06-26-2005, 6:56 AM
That looks Great Kirk!!! The bit of color variation isn't a problem at all and adds some character to the overall appearance.

Well Done!

Brian

BTW, looks like you've got some dust on your camera lens.... :)

John Hart
06-26-2005, 7:12 AM
Beautiful work KC....I sure love that Mesquite! I think I like it almost better than Koa. The colors are great and your craftmanship is solid. She'll love it.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-26-2005, 8:21 AM
Very nicely done! I sure do like the stain color.

Todd Burch
06-26-2005, 8:33 AM
Looks good Kirk! What type of sliding mechanisms do you use? Got a picture of the table belly-up? How did you join the legs to the aprons? Biscuits? M&T? What do you use to hold the top to the aprons?

Todd

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Todd...earlier post shows it belly up. Sliding thingies and clips are from Rocker.