PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Novice

Doug Hobkirk
04-29-2014, 4:42 PM
I picked up a 1060's Craftsman 12" lathe at a garage sale, 54" wide, a set of little used gouges (?), a 1725 RPM 1/2 HP motor, a wide tool rest, and some miscellany. In that last category are two drive centers (one a spike, one a cup), two different sized mounting plates (?), one new buffing pad, a plate for sanding, and a package of sandpaper for it. The lathe is not mounted on a board. The motor is not mounted and makes some minor noise after 60 seconds - possibly I need to heed the plaque that says "Oil Every 10 Years." Or it needs brushes, or it's bad, or whatever. Everything, with the possible exception of the motor, seems to be unused or in good condition. Plus the manual, printed in 1964. $40. Looks like:

So I figured out what pulley grooves (4 on both the motor and the lathe) will produce what speed - 825 - 4100 RPM using a 1725 RPM motor. I worked out a design that will allow me to adjust belt tension by adjusting the motor mount (pivot or sliding, yet to be determined), which I plan to do below the lathe pulleys. Workshop space is limited and this seems like it will take less space. I doubt I will use it much, so I imagine 1/2 HP is adequate.

I think I grasp tapping out the drive centers through the access hole in the housing (I haven't done it yet). But I don't understand how the mounting plates (is that the correct term?) attach on the headstock spindle (is that the correct term?)? They look like:
The inside of the boss is smooth, although I think I remember a set screw.

Are there any exceptionally useful links?
How do the mounting plates mount on the headstock spindle?
Is it practical to use for buffing? And if so, what about mounting a shaft to the tailstock and have several buffing wheels mounted?

The more I learn, the less I know.

Myk Rian
04-29-2014, 5:26 PM
If yours is a single tube lathe like the picture, get rid of it and find a real lathe.
Sorry to be so blunt, but.....

Dave Paine
04-29-2014, 5:49 PM
I doubt I will use it much, so I imagine 1/2 HP is adequate.

I think I grasp tapping out the drive centers through the access hole in the housing (I haven't done it yet). But I don't understand how the mounting plates (is that the correct term?) attach on the headstock spindle (is that the correct term?)? They look like:
The inside of the boss is smooth, although I think I remember a set screw.

Are there any exceptionally useful links?
How do the mounting plates mount on the headstock spindle?
Is it practical to use for buffing? And if so, what about mounting a shaft to the tailstock and have several buffing wheels mounted?

This site has a Woodturning forum where you may find threads from people using these mono-tube lathes. They suffer from vibration.

The faceplate in the picture would be screwed onto the headstock spindle. If the headtock is not threaded, you need an adapter.

Is the inside of the headstock tapered? Typically this would be a MT 1 taper, at least in the later models it was MT 1.

You may be able to find an MT 1 adapter to the threads on the faceplate.

The 1/2HP is adequate for spindle work, but underpowered for some bowl work. Also the minimum speed is perhaps too fast for larger bowl blanks, perhaps > 6in dia.

The best use of this lathe is for buffing. I have a friend who uses his mono-tube lathe as a dedicated tool for his Beall buffing wheels. The length is useful to allow 2 or 3 wheels to be mounted.

Duane Meadows
04-29-2014, 7:02 PM
Is the headstock spindle threaded? If so, it is most likely 3/4" 16 TPI.

As far as vibration goes... kinda depends what you want to turn. I have turned many pens and similar stuff on a newer model of that lathe with no problems! In fact it is kind of my favorite pen lathe! Even small bowls are ok. Bowls 6" or so, if you start out with a well balanced blank, may still be ok. Would not recommend large than about 8".

It should be a good lathe to learn basic turning skills on. If pens, Christmas tree ornaments, and other smallish things are what you want to turn, it will do the job. For what you paid, should be able to get your money back when you are ready to upgrade. They go around here for $50-75 sometimes even without motors!

If however, you wish to turn larger bowls, or hollow forms, then I agree with Myk, this lathe would only frustrate you, or worse.