PDA

View Full Version : Trailer deck

Dick Brown
04-29-2014, 3:53 PM
I know I should remember this BUT I claim senior moment! Decking a trailer for a friend with green fir. It will be screwed down well but I know it will still cup some as it dries. Would like the edges down and if there is a hump in the middle, have it up. ( 2" x 8" or 2" x 10" boards.) The question -- Heart up or down???
I KNEW YOU GUYS COULD REFRESH THIS OLD HEAD!
Thanks,
Dick

Judson Green
04-29-2014, 5:15 PM
Here ya go

Bob Wingard
04-29-2014, 7:54 PM
I just did a deck on my trailer yesterday ... I cut a lengthwise groove about 2" in from each edge of the 2"X8"'s ... it is about 1"deep. Gives the wood some place to "move" ... I've seen a few commercial trailer builders using this method, and thought I'd give it a try. I used to think convex side up, but I'm beginning to believe it really doesn't matter, and I actually think the grooving is going to do more good.

Danny Hamsley
04-29-2014, 7:58 PM
Wood cups toward the bark. But the bark side down.

John Lanciani
04-29-2014, 7:59 PM
Heart up will give the best results but even then they will have the tendency to cup up due to the sun drying the tops out more over time.

Mel Fulks
04-29-2014, 8:02 PM
Over time usually all will cup regardless of orientation. With the bark side up you at least eliminate all that razor blade like
grain lifting.