View Full Version : grizzly segmented cutterhead vs Byrd shelix cutterhead

joe maday
04-29-2014, 1:31 PM
I'm looking to purchase a larger planer, 20 inch. I had in mind to get a straight knife machine and put in a byrd cutterhead. after talking to grizzly I'm wondering if it would be just as good to bump up and get the machine with the grizzly cutterhead already in the machine. anyone have experience with both cutterheads to compare? is there a difference with the surface that is produced? I use alot of curly/figured woods so limiting the tearout is the concern.
Thanks in advance for any repies/comments

Cary Falk
04-29-2014, 1:48 PM
I have an 8" Byrd in my Shop Fox Jointer and a 15" Grizzly in my planer. I can't tell a difference.

Jim Andrew
04-29-2014, 8:25 PM
I also have a Byrd on my GO609 jointer, and the 15" Grizzly with the Grizzly helical head. Can't tell the difference either. Have not ruined a cutter in either. When I had the Woodmaster, broke lots of cutters in their helical head. It looked exactly like a Byrd, but the diameter was much bigger than the Grizzly. Strange how it takes less power to plane with the Grizzly. Must be the cutterhead speed.

Mikail Khan
04-29-2014, 8:56 PM
Get the Grizzly cutterhead. I don't think the byrd is worth the extra money. I have the byrd in my 20" grizzly planer. Grizzly in my 609Z jointer. Byrd typically has more rows of inserts and therefore more inserts per head. Which could be why they cost a little more. Cutters are set at an angle and have a small radius on the edges which is supposed to reduce tearout. I can't tell the difference, but I don't use highly figured wood. Because of the radius on the inserts the byrd leaves small ridges along the length of the board which have to be sanded out before finishing. Both will give significantly longer life and will be quieter than straight knives.

MK

Jesse Busenitz
04-30-2014, 11:19 AM
I've never had a byrd head, but I do have the grizzly 20" extreme and am very happy with it. It does great on the walnut and oak crotches I've sent thru with all the figure and end grain. I do think it's about time to rotate them as it's not quite as clean as it used to be, but it'd be a easier with the smaller amount of inserts than the byrd.

Jim Andrew
04-30-2014, 1:11 PM
Try cleaning your inserts before turning them. I use Grizzly spray cleaner, and a toothbrush.