PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Epoxy selection

Scott Connell
04-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Hello,
I'm currently building a farm table out of some reclaimed fir beams and some of them have some large checks/splits and cracked knots that I want to reinforce with some epoxy. This wood is very old and dry so I'm not worried about the splits expanding much further and one of the reasons I want to fill the cracks is so food an other "stuff" doesn't get down in there making it hard for my clients to clean it (they have little kids).

What I'm wondering if there is an epoxy anyone would recommend that is runny enough for me to pour into the cracks. I picked up some System Three t-88, but it is really thick and essentially needs to be pushed into the cracks with something. I'm looking for a product that pours so I can get it deep down in the cracks.

Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks for your help,
Scott

Raymond Fries
04-29-2014, 10:56 AM
How about that clear stuff that is poured over decoupage projects? It would flow into the cracks easily. Not sure if it is durable enough for your application though.

Good luck with your project.

Tony Joyce
04-29-2014, 11:10 AM
No affiliation, but I have used this product with success.

http://www.tomscypress.com/Epoxy.html

Tony Joyce

David Hawxhurst
04-29-2014, 5:59 PM
several come to mind like west systems, us composites, system three (they make some that are thinner than t-88).

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

us composites 635 thin would work well and the 150 thick will also work. remember that epoxy shrinks some as it cures so filling in stages depending on how deep the hole is. i have use both for filling cracks and knot holes.

Scott Connell
05-01-2014, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up calling System Three and asked for their recommendation as well and they suggested one of their products called "Clear Coat Epoxy", which I was able to find at a local store. I picked some up yesterday and it worked exactly as I was hoping it would. Very "pourable" and much easier to deal with compared to T-88 for this particular project.

Thanks again, Scott