PDA

View Full Version : Blum Undermounts

Randy Rizzo
04-29-2014, 8:31 AM
I was reading on another thread that Blum Undermounts can be had with the front attaching mechanisms adjustable for side to side alignment. Correct? Just wondering if this will address the following problem. I made a mock up cabinet (going to be used in the shop) to check out construction for next winter's project. My first attempt at inset drawer fronts. With the drawers closed and weighted I set the inset into position using steel shims on all sides then screwed the drawer front into place from the inside. After pulling the shims and testing the drawers for fit one drawer sits slightly misaligned (there's always one, no matter what you're doing) not a lot, an overlay would never be noticeable, but with the inset the misalignment is. Would the Blum adjustable attach fittings correct for this slight alignment? It is ever so slight and a gentle tug will re center the drawer, but not what I want.

Justin Ludwig
04-29-2014, 9:06 AM
Short answer is yes. I use them 563 series for inset cabinets and only use the adjustable locking mechanism. I don't know why they offer the non-adjustable one consider the price difference. Super easy to adjust.

Matt Meiser
04-29-2014, 9:11 AM
Since you already have the slides, why not shim that slide first and see if that works?

And for what its worth, I've studied your pics and can't find the one that's out. Maybe its the angle.

Randy Rizzo
04-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Since you already have the slides, why not shim that slide first and see if that works?

And for what its worth, I've studied your pics and can't find the one that's out. Maybe its the angle.

yes Matt it is the angle, sorry should have taken a shot straight on. And the mis-alignment isn't much, but I notice it. These happen to be Hettich Undermounts I had used on another project. And that's another story in itself. I had 9 pr. slides ordered, several were damaged in shipping, they duplicated the entire order to replace 2 slides, so I had these left over and that's what I used. I'm going back to Blums.

Sam Murdoch
04-29-2014, 10:54 AM
I recently installed a kitchen I built with inset drawers on BlumTandems with Blumotion (the Blum self closing feature). I typically do not us the Blumotion because I just don't get the problem with closing drawers by pushing them closed :confused:.

Anyway - every single one of 21 drawers were slightly misaligned in their openings. All the drawers closed as you describe and could be pulled flush with a slight touch but like you - "not what I want". The left side was always pulled in just a bit past flush.

I blamed this on the self closing - pull in feature of the Blumotion. If it had been 2 or 3 or even or 20% of the drawers I could have taken the blame assuming that I had simply bored my screw hole locations incorrectly by that little smidgen but for all the drawers to require adjustment the problem wasn't me. I had never had to adjust so many drawers on any project. There was no correction within the Blum slide. I ended up removing the locking triggers and padding the left side out with a wood shim to pull the drawer fronts forward. What a pain but worth the effort.

John TenEyck
04-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Sam's problems are not a problem if you use the adjustable locking mechanisms. There is one that has L/R, Up/Down, and In/Out adjustment, and those are the ones I now use. Also, the Blum 563 slides have a tilt adjustment at the back and now also a L/R adjustment. Those allow you to skew the drawer box to help align the front face. I just did 17 drawers in two large cabinets using them. It took a little time to get them all aligned, but they are about as perfect as I'm capable of. If you decide to go with the Blums I definitely advise the 3 way adjustable locking mechanisms.

John

Sam Murdoch
04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Sam's problems are not a problem if you use the adjustable locking mechanisms.

John

I'd better upgrade for the next project huh? :) Yikes the time I could have saved. Hards to keep up with all the product developments.

Of course I have other problems that no amount of hardware upgrades can fix :rolleyes:.