PDA

View Full Version : pen de-assembly??

Dawn Sunkle
06-25-2005, 11:37 AM
How is the best way to unassemble a slimline pen that you have already put together?

I have 3 pens that for some reason the finish on them got all messed up in shipping.. I think they got too hot in the packaging. But I have that part under control and know how to avoid that in the future. Now I just need to get the dang things apart so I can refinish them (without having to discard all 3 pen kits).
I have the caps off but I can't get the tip off or the part that holds the twist mechinisim out.

Thanks for any and all help. :)
Dawn

Kenneth Hertzog
06-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi
I disassemble a slimline pen by putting a 1/8 rod thru the twist part, screw out the refill and put rod thru the hole and tap with a hammer and drive the tip out. then I use a 1/4 inch rod back thru the tip hole and tap the other part out. the ID of the tube is 1/4 inch. also use a 1/4 inch rod to tap out the pocket clip end. I hold all this in my hand so there is no blunt force on reusable parts.
hope this answers your question
Ken

Ken Toupin
06-25-2005, 3:45 PM
Dawn,Pen State has a disassembly tools for the 7mm Slimline and comfort at 19.90 and 10 mm for traditional and Comfort pens at 15.70 . The few times you need these they a worth the price.. Ken Toupin

Earl Reid
06-25-2005, 4:08 PM
I use the same method as Ken Hertzon does, works very good at no cost. (I use a 1/4" drill bit)
Earl

Harry Goodwin
06-25-2005, 6:32 PM
I have a set of long pin punches that work well for the many diameters and use small pieces of hard wood with an assortment of hole sizes to shelter the various tips. One can push or punch a lot of times when the spacer is worth gold. Harry

Rob Littleton
06-25-2005, 8:21 PM
http://www.stinggroup.addr.com/projects/turn/cushion/twist.html

I use this method, pretty cool and works like a champ.......

Dawn Sunkle
06-25-2005, 9:48 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions and link. I'll see what I can do :)

Dawn

Kurt Aebi
06-27-2005, 9:05 AM
A friend of mine (Doug) from another site has a home-made disassembly tool and here it is along with a picture. Since he has it as a download on the other site, I am sure he won't mind me sharing it here:

The block of wood is made from Pine , because it's soft and won't damage the wooden parts , and it's about 1" thick .

The 1/4" hole is used to drive out the transmission and the 11/32" hole is for the tip (if you have a lip on the end) otherwise you just have to hold the pen in your hand and hit the end of the 7/64" rod with a hammer being careful that you cover the end of the tip with a cloth to prevent the tip from flying off and dissapearing into the same place that all those socks go to from the washer/dryer .

The 1/4" rod is also used to remove the clip end by hand holding as well .
I recomend that you hold the pen with something that will prevent it from slipping out of your hand and also something that will not mar the surface (a small piece of a rubber like material works fine ).
PS: The 7mm brass tube is only there to show that a 1/4" rod will fit inside a 7mm tube and has no function in the dissassembly of the pen .