PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 38-304 20" bandsaw, need help

Jay Gonsalves
04-28-2014, 4:07 PM
hello, I Just Seized An Opportunity To buy A 1978 Rockwell Bandsaw Model 38-304. Its In Great Condition But Has No Manual With It, And, It Has The Old Style Stacked Blade GuideS. My Questions Are 2:
1. Is There anywhere To Get A Manual For This Saw?

2. Is There A Blade Guide Upgrade I Can Buy To Simplify Blade Changes?

Bob Vaughan
04-28-2014, 4:32 PM
In that time slot, Delta had a 28-340 20" bandsaw that used the Do-All style stacking guides. The guides worked well and didn't emboss the blade with sawdust like my roller side guides do.
Do a google search on the 28-340 and see what you find. School shop machines like that were often designated 28-3X0 .

Bob Vaughan
04-28-2014, 4:43 PM
PS: The saw listed for $1782.00 in the 1979 price list. That's $5799.00 in today's money, so even if it needs a little work and some parts, you will have a pretty good machine when you're finished.

Jay Gonsalves
04-28-2014, 5:33 PM
Bob,Thanks, This Saw Was purchased For 1500. No Question I Got A Great Opportunity When This Saw Was Excessed By A Hospital. Saw Very Little Use And Whoever Did Use It Took Care Of It. I'm Eager To Put a Little Money Into This Beast!

Matt Day
04-28-2014, 7:08 PM
When I was hunting for a bigger bandsaw I recall looking into this saw a bit. I though I recalled that there is an upgrade kit for it, maybe from Carter?

Do some searching about the saw and you'll find quite a but if info.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156196-Older-20-quot-Rockwell-BS-model-28-3X0-or-28-340-is-it-any-good

Bob Vaughan
04-28-2014, 7:15 PM
You got a good buy on a pristine saw. I've seen them in junk condition sell for less and cost the new owners significantly more. The time you've saved by not having to de-rust, strip, sandblast, and repaint is something hard to measure.

The saw has Texin tires. I don't think they're available these days. Bobby at Woodworkers Tool Works has several options if you need to choose one. Those tires had a life span. The earlier Delta 20" saws from the 60s with that style tire often had the tires dry out and break. I guess I'm saying that you should keep an eye on them. Odds are you'll have zero problems.

Try living with the guides for a while. You may not like them up front, but it could be one of those things that it won't make all that much difference one way or another. The back guide bearings are easy to replace. They are standard
bearings simply pressed on. a shaft except for the real early ones. The bearing could be a 6200, 6300, or a 5203, depending on when the saw was made. They all worked fine despite the differences in diameters.

Found a photo

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/rmvaughan/Bandsaw/283x0a.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/user/rmvaughan/media/Bandsaw/283x0a.jpg.html)

Jay Gonsalves
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks Again, Bob. IActually GotThe Saw For $150; $1500 Was The Original Purchase Price In 1978. The Hospital Was Excessing It Since It Had Not Been Used For Over 10 Years. Got it Running Yesterday And Can't Wait To Make A Little Saw Dust. The Tires Look Almost Brand NeW STill HavE Resiliency And Only Very Minor Wear At The Crown. I Will Work With The Old Guides For A While But The Set Is Missing Several Of The Spacers So I'm Limited In Blade Selection. I've Got A Gem, And I Know It!!

Matt, I'm In Contact With Carter To See If One Of Their upgrade Kits For The Delta 28-340 Will Work For Me. Seems To Be The Same Saw.
Thanks To You Both For Your Help!

Loren Woirhaye
04-30-2014, 2:26 PM
I was at a show some years ago talking to the Laguna guy about fitting my Delta-Crescent 20" saw with their guides. He said they could do it. I never did though, I just used wood blocks with a piece of metal stuck in their for the grub screw to bear against. Otherwise the screw presses a hole in the guide block and makes them difficult to adjust finely.

Jeff Folkert
05-01-2014, 9:18 AM
Jay,

If you are interested I have a copy of the 28-34 parts manual which should be very similar to you saw. Won't help you much as you can't get original equipment parts anymore but might be interesting for you to see how things go together.

Jay Gonsalves
05-01-2014, 1:13 PM
Jeff, I'd Appreciate A Copy Of The Parts Manual. I Found A Copy Of The delta Owners Manual For The Same Model Delta Machine. Do You Know If The CArter Delta C Upgrade Kit Will Work On This Saw? Most Of The Do All Guide Spacer Parts Are Missing So I'm Very Limited In BladeWidth Selection.
Thanks,
jay

Jeff Folkert
05-01-2014, 2:08 PM
Jay,

PM me and I can send you a copy, or email me at folkert@carterproducts.com. I would love a copy of your owners manual if you have an electronic copy. The Delta 20C kit does fit that saw normally, but they did make variations on the saw even within the same model series. If you want to send me pictures of your lower mount I can tell you for sure.