PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for ways increase sales ...

Bill Stearns
04-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi All -
In my on-going efforts to increase sales, I have asked 'lot of questions, in past threads, 'bout advertising, promotion, and loyalty. (as pertains to the engraving business.) Received 'lot of thumbs-down regarding spending money on newspaper, flyers, direct mail, etc. Of all the people and companies I've done work for, seems as if past customers, while being pleased with my work, forget about me! Only a small fraction might be called loyal or regulars. In short: I need some effective ways to keep my business' name in front of past customers. Recently, a local sign shop has started e-mailing me what they call their "newsletter". (nothing more than an ad.) While I glance at it, then trash it - it does keep their name in front of me. (and, no, they didn't ask my permission.) Do any of you send periodic e-mail messages/information to past customers? If so, has it paid off? Also: I am considering creating a small product-specific catalog (ink jet printed in-house) - providing these to customers, and city/county offices. Worth my trying in your valued opinion? Eager to hear ....

Bill

Chris DeGerolamo
04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
For us, we have a very unique business card design i.e. they never get thrown away (I'd share, but it's very good for us and I don't want y'all taking it :)). Let's just say it's made of cardstock and 3D.

E-mails for us have been less than effective. Why not take a segment of your market and create a [low cost] giveaway? One thing we do is cut bushing removal tools for 1911's out of clear acrylic - each one has our company information engraved on it. It's difficult for someone to throw something away if they can use it.

Tim Fischer
04-28-2014, 1:05 PM
If you want to just keep your name out in front of prior customers, consider a give-away that won't be thrown away. One thing that's on my desk constantly and I've even been known to bring it to meetings, etc is "Thinking Putty". The stuff is highly addictive and substantial enough that nobody would toss it out - worst case they'll give it to someone else. And they let you brand it however you like:

http://www.puttyworld.com/custom.html

Jason Hilton
04-28-2014, 1:13 PM
Customer awareness is an important aspect of a strong customer experience plan. You want to create returning customers whenever possible. Regular communication via e-mail, mailings, etc. is a great way to keep your name in the forefront of their minds. Many customers won't forget about you, but instead don't have any work they need done. These customers we want to turn into advocates of the business. Consider offering a discount (or even cash) for referrals to previous/existing customers.

If you go the newsletter route, be sure you have content worth delivering. New products, time-limited offers, and big news are worthwhile and can help you build a community around your business.

Phil Thien
04-28-2014, 1:14 PM
E-Mailed newsletters can be a terrific way to keep your name in front of your customers. They can also be forwarded easily, making it a decent way to attract some new business, too.

The ones I like the most aren't simply an advertisement, they have useful information.

Jess Phiz
04-29-2014, 1:02 AM
We run our business purely off Facebook, Advertise, share and even take orders on there.
We recently opened our online shop and have taken very few orders from there.

We ordered DL flyers and when I go for a walk I drop them in Letterboxes - Have not seen any increase sales from this but we offer products that are ordered as needed.

But it all depends on your type of Products.

Rodne Gold
04-29-2014, 2:37 AM
The way I keep upfront is active marketing and google adwords
In terms of in house marketing , we make up sample packs of our products , useful stuff , and we then cold call and ask the targeted co if they interested in free samples..we get a great response to this
A good site and google adwords make the biggest contribution to increased business on my side. If Im wanting goods and services , I use google , I assume most ppl do so as well

Mike Lysov
04-29-2014, 5:44 AM
Google adwords may look cheap but from my experience you end up paying 25-30% of your profit for it.
I have used it many times with the last time just a week ago. I spent $50 on adwords last time and got only $200 in sales from its traffic.
I was getting about 25 visitors per day at about $0.30 cost per click. There are always a lot of dead traffic coming from it. By dead I mean it won't bring you any sale, in fact these type of "visitors" spent only 1 sec on my website which make them look completely fake.
However you still have to pay for them and that are about 20% of daily traffic. I will still be using adwords for online advertisement but I do not expect much from it. Paying so much for so little sales may be does not sound like a good idea but when your other sales from organic search or ebay are slow it gives you some exta sales for sure.

You guys in US are lucky to have so many huge marketplaces like amazon or etsy. There is only eBay available in Australia, all other online markets are not even worth to list because you won't sell on them for ages.

Mike Lysov
04-29-2014, 5:49 AM
Forgot to mention Pinterest, that's a good place to advertise. Brings me at least 5-10% of my traffic. Facebook and Twitter may not bad at all but you need to have a lot of time to be there and at this point I do not have even half of required time for them. I just post my customers reviews on twitter and facebook pages but it is done automatically through some review system I have installed in my online shop.

Mike Null
04-29-2014, 7:49 AM
I generally resent email as junk and annoying but every month I scan through my last year's billings and if I haven't heard from the customer I will send them an email inquiring whether they'll be repeating the order this year, etc., etc. I do not send emails to non customers.

Tim Bateson
04-29-2014, 8:29 AM
...We ordered DL flyers and when I go for a walk I drop them in Letterboxes...

You don't have your location listed but here in the USA it's illegal to put flyers in mailboxes. I don't think anyone is ever prosecuted, but it's still the law.

Tim Bateson
04-29-2014, 9:25 AM
Back to increasing sales.... Don't be afraid to up-sale. Over the past 7 years I have expanded/diversified a bit. I often will offer a new product to a current customer & in some cases that up-sale is far more profitable then the sale they came to me for. You have to get to know their business. A manufacturer needed ID plates that I've been supplying for several years. I gave him a new product I had just started to market & now supply both products. A car show I've done crystal trophies for several years - Hey they buy their Dash Plaques from someone, why not me... again I up-sold and increased business.

Like Mike said too, I call customers that I've done work for their annual events - often personnel leave & the new person in-charge doesn't have any contact info for you. Why loose that business - pick up the phone (I hate doing this too, but it's necessary).

Bill Stearns
04-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Hey All -
My idea to e-mail past customers, as 'way to keep my name in front of 'em, seemed to get thumbs-up from most. Now, to do this in a way that won't seem overly intrusive, or annoying - but, rather interesting, even informative - one of those "can't hurt" type of strategies, uh? Also: I am widening the choices when it comes to those specific items which sell best. Continuing to make improvements to my web site; thanks to your suggestions. Amazes me how many people don't seem to check out their own sites from remote computers. Ex: excruciatingly tiny print on different browsers. (BTW: Rodney, in Cape Town, nice site, but you still have 2013 as the year shown on your home page.)
Love the idea of proving a 'little "gift" with my business name on it; something people won't throw 'way. Plus, the idea of a business card so unique, they won't readily toss it. (maybe, engraved 3-D in thin wood?) I've added a few "econ-priced awards" to my displays and site; just to see what happens. And, a second "Open" sign: will hopefully help people feel more comfortable walking into a house. ? And, the beat goes on ... please keep your ideas coming. (I'm still very much in survival mode.)

Bill

David Somers
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Bill, do a search on pinterest for business cards. You will see all kinds of ideas.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
04-29-2014, 1:18 PM
If you plan to email people, use something like Constant Contact. There are other's, but that's the name that comes to mind. It allows you to build a good looking email and you can showcase your services in a way that appears informative. Plus it allows them to safely unsubscribe. You can also tell who reads the email and how long they spent opening it, if I remember correctly.

It's like $15 a month or something, plus you get a free trail. Try it and see if that works.

Tim Bateson
04-29-2014, 1:28 PM
Some aren't going to like this, but rarely will I do business with anyone using a yahoo or gmail address. I know a lot of people use them, but I just don't take them as serious as I do someone with a "business" type of email address. It's a perception thing. Just as some folks won't do business with me - I work from home rather than a store front.

Mike Null
04-29-2014, 2:01 PM
No issues with Yahoo but AOL and g-mail both raise flags for me. Not say I don't open them but if I'm suspicious I won't open them.

Matt McCoy
04-29-2014, 2:33 PM
Just to play devil's advocate: I do business with several great customers that work at Google. They all use gmail. I also know/work with a lot of people in tech that prefer gmail and like that it is unassuming and convenient across all of their devices.

Bill: I like MailChimp.com for those interested in aesthetics. You can sign up for a free account to try it out. I think the key is to keep it short and sweet with good content (e.g., photos).

I'm also a fan of social media and see the benefit of Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and Twitter. Use an app to link them together and update a few time a week and takes 5-10 minutes. Again, pictures are worth a thousand words can help drive traffic to your website.

Hope this helps.

I'm phoning it in, so pardon the format, etc.

Bill Stearns
04-29-2014, 6:39 PM
Hey Again -
Guess I understand what Tim is saying 'bout using Yahoo - maybe, even G-mail. Soliciting business has 'lot to do with perception, and those "dots" may cause some prospective customers to feel the business is too "small", or too unsafe to deal with. (?) So, it is good that Tim has brought this to light. Myself, I have a dot-net, but only 'cause that's what I was assigned years ago. Chances are people are simply using what they "know" and what they are comfortable with - no thought to it being a potential hindrance to business. (if, indeed, it is?) Of greater concern might be: that the e-mail service works properly! (i.e. all those trying to sign up for health insurance using dot.gov. -what' a joke that was, uh?) A bigger point yet: it can be the tiniest of things which make a difference in a sale, or no-sale. Especially, important to keep in mind for those of us who run our businesses out of a house. My 2-cents ...

Bill

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-29-2014, 7:11 PM
Some aren't going to like this, but rarely will I do business with anyone using a yahoo or gmail address. I know a lot of people use them, but I just don't take them as serious as I do someone with a "business" type of email address. It's a perception thing. Just as some folks won't do business with me - I work from home rather than a store front.

I fully agree with Tim. I have posted about this fact several times now. If you own your own domain/web site, there is no reason you should be referring customers to some generic email account such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. Your email address should contain your domain name - and not myengravingbiz @gmail.com! Using a generic email service screams unprofessional and home business and can conjure up all sorts of negative images. I know several successful business people who use gmail because of the ease-of-use and they are known to travel a lot for their business, but as far as I can tell, most engravers are not packing their equipment around the country.

Dan Hintz
04-29-2014, 8:04 PM

Agreed... if, as a business, you cannot afford something so inexpensive (and professional) as your own email domain, you're rarely a person worth doing business with.

Jess Phiz
04-30-2014, 12:21 AM
You don't have your location listed but here in the USA it's illegal to put flyers in mailboxes. I don't think anyone is ever prosecuted, but it's still the law.

I'm in Australia, I don't know of the legalities here but there are a fair few Businesses locally that do it.

Jess Phiz
04-30-2014, 12:26 AM

I agree, the first thing we did was set up a Domain and Email Address with that Domain.

I have a friend who runs a business who uses me to do her Etching and her email address is companynamebyhername@hotmail.com, I've explained to her several times that it will put people off, she doeskin seem to think so.

Jess Phiz
04-30-2014, 12:33 AM
I fully agree with Tim. I have posted about this fact several times now. If you own your own domain/web site, there is no reason you should be referring customers to some generic email account such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. Your email address should contain your domain name - and not myengravingbiz @gmail.com! Using a generic email service screams unprofessional and home business and can conjure up all sorts of negative images. I know several successful business people who use gmail because of the ease-of-use and they are known to travel a lot for their business, but as far as I can tell, most engravers are not packing their equipment around the country.

We have our own Domain listed Email address (three in fact). We set these up originally with CrazyDomain and while their prices were great, customer service and the actual hotsing was far from great. on a Monthly Basis we would have the email server go down, not just for an hour, but for sometimes days. When called they would say they were not aware of the problem and would fix asap (still no time frame given).

When we moved our email hosting and domain hosting to WIX we had to re-sign up for email address, though they are a little bit more expensive their setup and customer service is great.
The emails use gmail inbox and servers so its easy to get into and manage.

But that's all off subject :)

I have avoided several Businesses if they are not example@business.com due to weary about scams.

Mike Null
04-30-2014, 8:04 AM
I've used my email address with domain name ever since I started. My signature in my outgoing mail has my logo and complete contact information. If you're not using your domain name you're missing an opportunity.

I get 20 to 30 junk or spam items per day, most of which go to the junk bin. Most of that is junk from the promotional products industry; the result of registering for one of their shows. Big mistake!!

John Bion
04-30-2014, 9:25 AM
I have my workshop/office behind my house but repeatedly I have been told by (happy) customers that they assumed that I was a big/larney outfit simply because of my own domain name e-mail address and stationery - I would not have had that business if I had a G mail or Y mail email address.
Regards, John

Jason Hilton
04-30-2014, 10:38 AM
You all realize you can use gmail with your own domain right?

Mark Sipes
04-30-2014, 12:28 PM
When are we going to get to the option of fully wrapping your vehicle with your Business info so people in town know you are in business. I have people stop me constantly at Costco, Target, etc wanting more info.... I know, who wants to deal with a $10-15 job for a name tag. I do. most people who buy name tags in my area buy them also for the company or shop. If nothing else it reinforces all that additional non-advertising you are doing to build the business...6 out of 10 times I am on the freeway going to Seattle I will have receive a call from an electrician, solar panel installer, cell tower cable guy,,,etc wanting labels made for a job.

If you are just relying on a laser to build a business in an area that does not support you, then you are missing out on the color aspect of sublimation......just saying!!

On a side note: A-boards, more than yard signs.... Banners more than decals. Business cards on Local Business Cork Boards more than flyers anywhere.

OK my truck is not fully wrapped... But I do have a tailgate and door panels with the business name, address and phone number!

Tim Bateson
04-30-2014, 12:36 PM
When are we going to get to the option of fully wrapping your vehicle with your Business info so people in town know you are in business...

I've been kicking that idea around, maybe start with a couple partial wraps on my truck. They say it's the best value or most views per $ than any other form of paid advertising.

If you are just relying on a laser to build a business in an area that does not support you, then you are missing out on the color aspect of sublimation......just saying!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh Keep that to yourself!

David Somers
04-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Ahhhh Mark!

It is a shame engravers don't look more like hotdogs! The Oscar Meyer mobile was such an effective advertising tool!!! Tim's vehicle would look pretty slick wrapped like that huh? <just teasing Tim...<Grin>>>

Dave

Tim Bateson
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
.. Tim's vehicle would look pretty slick wrapped like that huh? <just teasing Tim...<Grin>>>Dave

I've had worse things said about me. :p

Dan Hintz
04-30-2014, 7:25 PM
You all realize you can use gmail with your own domain right?

The problem with that is you're forwarding mail, which will almost always get your IP address flagged as a spammer. Although I didn't in the past (paid extra), I now share IP space with others who use gmail as a spam filter... any company that uses Spamhaus (or similar) automatically bumps my emails back to me. Very frustrating, but I can't get the ISP to stop people from doing it, so I have to live with the consequences or move elsewhere.

Dave Sheldrake
04-30-2014, 7:34 PM
I'm with the guys... company has generic Hotmail/yahoo/gmail email address I don't bother looking at them.

cheers

Dave

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-30-2014, 8:07 PM
This should also include @mycablecompany.com and @mywirelessprovider.net type of email addresses. Basically, anything that is not @mydomain.com is cause for me to move on to another business. First impressions make a difference.

Bill Stearns
04-30-2014, 8:59 PM
Hair on the back of my neck raised, when Mike referred even to "dot nets", like mine, casting a poor impression! While I understand the .Yahoos and .hot-mails being a perception issue - why would anyone think poorly of a dot-net? Beyond the prior two, who the heck knows what a dot-net indicates in terms of business impression? (can't wait to hear your replies.) In short: my dot-net has never been an issue, or concern. Frankly, I have bigger things to worry 'bout. Also: as to "opening" e-mails: Glad to hear some of you guys are dong so well that you can afford to "weed out" and immediately trash potential opportunities coming to you thru e-mail 'cause of a dot-whatever. Me? I can't. (However, I do have good spam/security filter software.) Lastly: even knowing better, now, can be hard to switch if you've got a supply cabinet full of printed business cards 'n brochures, etc.; just a side-thought ....

Later. Bill

Phil Thien
04-30-2014, 10:59 PM
The problem with that is you're forwarding mail, which will almost always get your IP address flagged as a spammer. Although I didn't in the past (paid extra), I now share IP space with others who use gmail as a spam filter... any company that uses Spamhaus (or similar) automatically bumps my emails back to me. Very frustrating, but I can't get the ISP to stop people from doing it, so I have to live with the consequences or move elsewhere.

He's talking about a product from Google called Google Apps. So you aren't forwarding anything, you point your MX records at the Google Apps servers and the mail for your domain is then handled by Google. Of course, Google charges for this, but the fees are reasonable.

It really isn't bad. I agree that administration for anything > 100 users starts turning into a burden. The sync tool for Outlook is also awful, IMHO. People moving to Google Apps (from their own Exchange server) often want to keep using Outlook. I try to explain that a hosted Exchange service would be better, but so many people are drinking the Google Kool-Aid that I end up doing the Google Apps, and then 6-12 months later I end up moving them to a hosted Exchange service.

For me, I prefer to just use a web hosting outfit's IMAP with Thunderbird as the client.

Jason Hilton
05-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Dan,

I'm not sure how you're setting up your filters but utilizing google apps for domain e-mail won't get flagged by anything except a poorly configured filter. Google apps allows you to use gmail on your own domain. Any e-mail you send will identify as originating from your domain name.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Hair on the back of my neck raised, when Mike referred even to "dot nets", like mine, casting a poor impression! While I understand the .Yahoos and .hot-mails being a perception issue - why would anyone think poorly of a dot-net?

I didn't say domain.net. I referred to mywirelessprovider.net or mycablecompany.com or any other type of internet provider that has nothing to do with owning your own domain. A domain can still be registered as dot.net and be legit.

If someone owns their own domain and has their own web site, why on earth should they promote someone else's cable company, mac products or free email service? When I am looking for a new product or business, if their email does not belong to their domain, I continue my search elsewhere.

Mary Geitz
05-01-2014, 9:16 AM
I'd like to take this one step further. I do have my own domain and I also pay $10.00 per month for VoIP service. I currently use Freedom Voice and have my own company greeting, two extensions and a fax "machine" coming from my company's phone. I have an 800 number, which was no extra charge. You can get as fancy as you want with these services. For instance, you can pick from a whole bunch of voices to answer your company's phone. I think that is extra, though. I have the capability of using my laptop for a phone, but I just have it forward the calls to my home phone number and cell. They ring at the same time (so I know it's a business call), and there is caller ID. The only thing that busts me with my customers is when my puppies bark, doorbell rings, or a kid comes walking through the door yelling, "Hey ma!".

Scott Shepherd
05-01-2014, 9:40 AM
I remember bidding on a large job for a college years ago. We had a nice website (which they commented on), had prompt replies to their calls or emails, and everything seemed like it was going great. They requested a meeting with us at their campus and two of us went (the entire company at the time). We showed up, showed them the credentials they wanted to see (examples, etc.), and then they said "So when your team comes to install it, tell them to see me and I'll get them started.". I said "I'll be here installing as well", and they said "Oh, that's great".

All along, through the entire 1 year dealing with the customer, they always thought we were a huge company based solely on their perception of us, not at all on anything we ever told them. It made a difference. We did over 400 interior signs for them and never once did they know we were operating out of 400 sq. ft at the time.

Bill Stearns
05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Mike -
Guess I misunderstood. Thought you were grouping dot-nets in with dot-yahoos 'n dot-Hotmail. Tired and 'end of along day, I just wasn't reading your post correctly. Plus, admittedly there is so much I don't understand 'bout setting up e-mail accounts. Maybe, I would switch if I better understood how. (Can't afford a $40 hr IT guy.) So, maybe, you can clarify for me? My details in a nutshell: My e-mail account is handled by my phone company. People e-mail me using my business' name followed by @qwestoffice.net. (Qwest being the phone company's name.) I register my web site's name annually with a place called Domain Group. (probably not of importance, uh?) My actual site is hosted by yet another company called Host Group. (BTW: I do have a "contact us" form on my site: wonder what e-mail shows up when that is used? Will check.) Given this info - how do you feel my e-mail address should read to avoid poor perceptions? And, where do I start in changing it? The phone company? my host? I do understand what you all are saying 'bout how e-mails are perceived - so? Thanks.

Bill

Mike Null
05-01-2014, 1:00 PM
Steve

We get similar results. Most of my business is commercial and it is rare that anybody questions me. If I get what looks like a good lead I'll make a personal visit (IF THEY'RE LOCAL) and i'll take samples or a presentation if appropriate.