PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap #3: back to work

steven c newman
04-28-2014, 11:21 AM
OK, I have an older Dunlap #3 plane. Been abused over the last year or so. Time to get it back out of the tool chest, and re-do a few things. Sole never was all that great. Wood was getting under the chipbreaker. Iron was getting a bit "worn", and hard to set. A look at the "poor thing"288235Don't look like much, does it? Even after a tear down288236Yep. Well, I set up a "Sanding Station"288237so I could sand the sole a bit288238after a midflight check2882392x to show things off for the camera. Black lines to show where I'm at. Trying to get rid of them, and those chatter marks. Finally got the sole cleaned up, took awhile. Next was the iron and chipbreaker. Left the sanding station set up. Honing guide was set @ 25 degrees. The chipbreaker need some work on it's edge to mate up with the iron. Back of the iron needed a polishing. Edge or the iron was a hair out of square, had to bring it back to square, withoout dubbing the corners off. Most of that was done on the beltsander, then on to the oilstone, then on to the wet&dry paper. Put things back together for a test drive or two. Since most don't like a test drive on good old pine scrap,:eek: how about some Black Walnut scrap?288240 or, maybe some Black Cherry scrap?288241Made a nice curlie thing. :D The reason I spent so much time on this old $8 Dunlap? It happens to be a York Pitch frog. Or rather, the base is ground to make the frog sit at 50 degrees. I think it is about that, might be more. Even with the iron good and sharp, and some candle wax on the sole, this is a hard plane to push along. But it does work288242at least the scrap thinks so. Iron is a "Made in West Germany" Metric width with a funny looking top end. Kind of squared off.

steven c newman
04-28-2014, 2:35 PM
Now, is a York pitch suppose to be harder to push along, than a "normal" pitched iron? Iron is sharp, wax on sole, and it still is a bit hard to shove along. Both test tracks were with the grain, too. Nice little plane though.

David Weaver
04-28-2014, 3:00 PM
It's a little bit harder. you have to take a fairly heavy cut and have two otherwise identical planes to gather much about it being harder, though.

steven c newman
04-28-2014, 3:13 PM
Well I could fire up the old Wards Master Quality #3, WWII era, and see if there is a difference. Despite the "WARDS" logo, that plane is almost 100% Stanley. With the rubber adjuster wheel. Both are about the same size, though. Maybe give it a go?

David Weaver
04-28-2014, 3:17 PM
go for it. put one of these on to make sure your results aren't biased by knowing which plane is at a steeper angle.

http://www.hopect.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dog_ecollar.png

steven c newman
04-28-2014, 3:40 PM
well, might need to sharpen a couple, but here tis288260 Seems the wards was just as hard to push along the Cherry, with the same thickness of shavings. Yep, there is a slight difference in angle to the German plane288261Dunlap in front of the Wards. Both are #3 sized planes. I do have another the same size, though288262But a Miller Falls #8 might not be a fair test?? A look at the back side of the other two288263Parked heel to heel. These are the three #3s in the shop, other than a scrub plane #33. Might have a use for all three of these...