PDA

View Full Version : Lumber yards near Minneapolis/St. Paul

Daniel Hartmann
04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm moving to St. Paul this month and I'm trying to find a good source for hardwood lumber. Any recommendations?

thanks...

Bruce Mack
04-28-2014, 1:05 AM
Youngblood Lumber, Central Avenue, Minneapolis is by report a good source. They sell wholesale if you are a member of the Minesota Woodworkers Guild. I have not been there as I travelled here from PA with my own hardwood and my projects are now of small size.

Charles Bjorgen
04-28-2014, 6:54 AM
There is also Forest Products Supply in Maplewood which is north of St. Paul on highway 61 and County Rd. C. That's a suburb of St. Paul, not far at all. Nice place.

Daniel Hartmann
04-28-2014, 7:00 PM
Thanks for the tips

Rich Harkrader
04-28-2014, 7:55 PM
Check craigslist. There are a number of sawmills in the area that sell that way.

Ken Barton
04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Youngbloods is good, they sell retail too and have a great selection and easy to sort what you need. Ottertail lumber is another choice, not as large though. Forest Products is a job house, but sells lumber too, you can find very high end stuff here. But also, they sell their "sticks" for $2 a piece. These are typically 3'-4' long and 8/4 or 4/4 widths of 2-4". You will find oak, walnut, maple and a variety of exotics, great source for small projects and cutting boards. Logs to lumber is a local mill in Inver Grove Heights as an option as well. And as previously mentioned, Craigslist has lots of options in the materials section.

Robert Parent
04-29-2014, 5:14 PM
Hi,

There is a sawmill in Spring Valley, WI.... about a 45 minute drive. Lately I have been buying various hardwoods at Fleet Farm. Someone mentioned Craigslist, adds show up there fairly often.

Robert

Dave Richards
04-29-2014, 10:05 PM
If you aren't against a little longer drive there are a number of places in SE MN. Root River Hardwoods is one.

Terry Therneau
04-29-2014, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't drive all the way from Msp to Preston for Root river hardwoods, though they are nice. In Rochester itself, I prefer Vetsch Hardwoods.