PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing

Frank Drew
04-27-2014, 11:09 PM
I turned an apple bowl years ago and I'm pretty sure I used Behlen's Salad Bowl finish. For whatever reason, I never liked the quality of the finish inside the bowl (the outside is fine, so I guess I just didn't do a very good job on the interior). Recently, I took it down with a fine-ish scotchbrite pad, not all the way to the bare wood, but smoothed out with all the brightness gone, and I'd like to reapply a finish, either Salad Bowl or something similar that's food safe and will give the bowl some resistance to food oils and water and whatever from normal use.

Has anyone used Salad Bowl on top of cured Salad Bowl, do I need to worry about adhesion or anything else? The bowl was never used, so I shouldn't have to worry about any other kind of contamination interfering with the finish. (I no longer have a lathe so can't remount it to fully sand the inside down.)

Thanks in advance.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-28-2014, 9:30 AM
Its always best to test a small area and see if the finish dries and adheres. I think it will bond if you sanded the inside for a good mechanical bond.
faust