PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Question

Peter Ulmanis
06-25-2005, 9:13 AM
I have been lurking for sometime on SMC and recently registered. At the Shaker Viilage Wood Days last year, Dave Andersen sugeested suggested that I give it a look and I have been reading your threads ever since.

I have been very impressed with two things, the supportive nature of threads (Important to me because I am a newby in hand tools), and the way threads stay on topic, something that drove me crazy on another forum.

OK, time for my question: I bought a Stanley 42X sawset on the Bay and the seller included an extra, A brass card, slightly lager than a credit card with holes in it. My first thought was a guage to measure round stock.
What has me puzzeled is the numbers. The largest hole is marked 13 and is about 3/4 inch in diameter the smallest is marked 5 over O with what I would say is a fraction line. One hole is marked O. The hole next to it , slightly smaller, is marked 32 with no fraction line. The next is 0 1/2, followed by a 2 over O with a fraction line. Between 2 1/2 and 3 there is a hole marked 35 (no fraction line).

This numbering system has me baffled. Anyone have any ideas? BTW I don't expect any antique value in this device, just curious.

Peter

John Miliunas
06-25-2005, 9:19 AM
Peter, sorry...No help on the device you describe, as I'm a Neander newbie myself. :o BUT, been around the Creek long enough to be "qualified" to extend you a nice, warm welcome! Being hooked up with Dave Anderson, you've certainly got a great start on the hand tool scene!:) I'm pretty confident that someone out here will be able to give you an assist with the "holey thing" you have there, as well!:) In the meantime, stop often, stay long and don't forget our credo: "No pics...It didn't happen!":D :cool:

Richard Gillespie
06-25-2005, 9:37 AM
Peter;

Let me join John and extend to you a welcome to Saw Mill Creek, my favorite woodworking forum. I've learned much just by asking questions and reading the replies to questions posed by others.

In reply to your question it sounds like it might be a wire thickness gauge. I went to Ebay and checked if they had any for sale that might match what you're describing but the pictures are hard to read. I hope someone who knows can get you the information you want.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Peter.....I'm stumped over your tool but...............welcome to the Creek!

Jerry Palmer
06-25-2005, 5:24 PM
Could be a drill bit gauge with the lettered drills for use with taps.

Alan Turner
06-25-2005, 6:15 PM
Peter,
Can't help you, but wanted to extend a warm welcome to the dark side.