PDA

View Full Version : Planer

Joe Nasca
04-27-2014, 9:54 PM
Hello,

I just picked up a used Jet jointer and I am in the mood to spend more money :p That being said, I am looking for a thickness planer. I have read a lot of posts and it seems that the DeWalt lunchbox planers are the favorite.

I was wondering if any of the inexpensive ones will hold up and get the job done. Entry level/cheap brands like Ryobi, Harbor Freight, Craftsman (sorry to say, but I consider many of their tools to be not quite higher end)

This is a precision tool and should probably not spare any expense. I know you generally get what you pay for, but wondering on your thoughts. I never hesitate to buy a hammer or pry bar at HB but I generally stay away from their power tools. (though their pneumatic accessories are pretty good)

Thanks guys!

Art Mann
04-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Although I wouldn't buy a Ryobi or Harbor Freight planer (maybe a Craftsman), there are cheaper alternatives than the Dewalt 735 that could be good alternatives. For example, I have used the Ridgid TP1300 planer hard for 10 years and it has always performed flawlessly. Unfortunately, that model is out of production. I keep hoping mine will break so I can justify getting a cast iron stationary planer but it just refuses to quit. I can still machine boards to +/- 0.003" accuracy. The only problems with it are it is slow and loud. All "lunchbox" planers with universal motors have those drawbacks.

Bryan Lisowski
04-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Search for a used planer, you may find something better. I have a small shop, so I could only get a lunchbox planer, and I found a guy that was getting rid of a dewalt 733 planer for $100. It works well, but as others have said, they are loud. Search around.

John Sanford
04-28-2014, 12:04 AM
The Delta, DeWalt and Rigid lunchbox planers frequently found on the used market will do you fine. The DeWalt 735 is the best of the lunchbox class, but for 1/2 the cost you can get one of the above "lesser" models to do the job. I've been using a Delta 560 (I think that's the model number) for better than 10 years off and on, no complaints with it other than the noise. I just wear ear plugs. I will at some point upgrade to a stationary unit, but there's no big hurry to do so.

Jim Andrew
04-28-2014, 8:41 AM
If you plan to use a planer a lot, you would be much better off with a stationary machine, like a Grizzly 453. They come with mobile kit built in, move easily, and are a LOT more machine for the money. If you can find a used one at a great price, so much the better, but no comparison with the lunchbox planers. I started out with a Delta 12 1/2", it worked but on wide boards it was overworked, and very noisy. Gave it to a friend when I got my Griz.

Joe Nasca
04-28-2014, 8:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably stick to craigslist and hope to find a DeWalt for a reasonable price.

Can someone give me some info on the difference between the 734, 735 and 735X? I can see the obvious differences in the specs but from a performance perspective.

Art Mann
04-28-2014, 9:53 AM
The Dewalt 735 has a reputation of being the best machine of its type. My opinion is the 734 is just another lunchbox and is about the same design and quality as many other machines from companies like Delta and Ridgid. I wouldn't shy away from buying the 734 used but I wouldn't seek one out either.

Jim Leslie
04-28-2014, 10:35 AM
I have a Dewalt 735 and like it a lot. It has the 2 speeds (dimensioning and finishing) which I like. Have used it quite a bit and I would not hesitate buy this model again. Often wondered what it would be like with the Byrd head, but it was a bit too $$ for me.

Curt Stivison
04-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Joe,
Where are you located? I have a 13" jet I don't need since I got my 20" Jet. I'm in SE Ohio
Curt

Matt Krusen
04-28-2014, 11:22 AM
The 735 is definitely an upgrade from the 734. The DW735 has a slightly larger capacity at 13" and is two speed. It's marketed as a portable planer, and it is, but the thing is a solid 90+ pounds. I feel that the overall heft of the machine really adds to it. The 735X is the same planer as the 735 but comes as a package deal. The package comes with the planer itself, an extra set of knives, and the optional in-feed/out-feed extension wings. Once setup right, the extension wings can really cut down on snipe issues. The extra set of knives is a nice bonus since straight knives are somewhat prone to chipping. Overall, the 735X is a good deal and worth the extra expense in my opinion. You can certainly buy the extension wings separate later on if you so choose, but you save some money by purchasing the 735X package.

Jim Rimmer
04-28-2014, 1:37 PM
I have a Ryobi that serves me well. I am going to upgrade before I retire because I think (hope) I will be using the planer more. I am looking at the DeWalt 735.

BOB OLINGER
04-28-2014, 1:55 PM
After doing hobby woodworking for like 30 yrs., I bought my first thickness planner about 2-3 yrs. ago when Home Depot phased out the DeWalt 735 in favor of the 733. I like the 735 very much, I don't know how i managed without a thickness planner before; would highly recommend it. Now, if you're into a ton of woodworking and plan a lot of thickness planning, taking a look at the next level of machines would seem a wise move.

Earl McLain
04-28-2014, 2:13 PM
I have a Dewalt 735 and like it a lot. It has the 2 speeds (dimensioning and finishing) which I like. Have used it quite a bit and I would not hesitate buy this model again. Often wondered what it would be like with the Byrd head, but it was a bit too $$ for me.

It's sweet. Plain and simple. At this point, it may be the best over-spending i ever did on a tool. (or pretty much anything else in life--except my bride!!)
earl

Joe Nasca
04-28-2014, 9:53 PM
Joe,
Where are you located? I have a 13" jet I don't need since I got my 20" Jet. I'm in SE Ohio
Curt

I am in a suburb of Buffalo. Wonder what shipping would be???

Bill Graham
04-29-2014, 7:30 AM
It's sweet. Plain and simple. At this point, it may be the best over-spending i ever did on a tool. (or pretty much anything else in life--except my bride!!)
earl

Well worth the money for the Byrd head, I installed one on my 735 in 2012 after seeing a demo at IWF. If you're really going to be running it a lot I'd recommend going to a stationary machine.

I replaced the Dewalt with a Powermatic 15HH and it's a whole different animal.

Danny Hamsley
04-29-2014, 8:27 AM
The DW733 is a two knife planer. The knives can be re-sharpened. The DW734 has three disposable knives (you can use both sides, then replace when both sides are dull). I think that 3 blades are better than two if you keep them sharp.

glenn bradley
04-29-2014, 8:43 AM
There was a particular Ryobi that got good reviews but, I no longer find that model as I am walking past the tools in the BORG. The DW735 got too proud of itself when it hit the $400 mark and it has moved well beyond that now. Great little planer but, the DW734 also has 3 knives and a carriage lock and only lacks the slower speed. I ran one for years before selling it to a pro shop that also had one. Despite other large floor model planers in the shop, the DW734 was their preferred animal and they wanted a second one. For a home shop, a lunchbox format will generally do the job for a number of years and possibly forever. JMHO

I moved to a 15" floor model and it has served me well to date. I primarily made this move as putting a spiral head in a lunchbox seemed to not be the right decision for me. I wanted the spiral head as I use a lot of figured woods and tearout was costing me money. Also, the spiral head has paid for itself in savings over sharpening/replacing knives at this point and I haven't even rotated the inserts yet but . . . . I'm rambling; sorry about that.

Matt Krusen
04-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Joe, I just posted this in the Deals and Discounts section but I'll post it here for you as well. This is a pretty sweet deal. Still not cheap but its the best deal on the DW735 I've seen in a long time.

http://www.rockler.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-2-speed-planer-with-knives-table-with-free-dewalt-dwp611-fixed-base-router

Again, please remove this post if I'm breaking any rules here.

Loren Woirhaye
04-29-2014, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about durability with lunchbox planers. Look at the infeed/outfeed table size and robustness. That plays a big roll in cut quality.

Other than that, you won't go wrong easily hunting down a used 220v planer. They are not as loud, are often a little wider, and way tougher.

I've been sharpening my own knives on a Makita wet grinder for years. If you send knives out sometimes the guys who sharpen them are unclear on the concept and they come back with curved edges.

Joe Nasca
04-30-2014, 2:34 PM
I wouldn't want a 220v. Err, I would not want to go to the trouble of having one. Along with the expense of a 220v receptacle being ran.

Joe Nasca
04-30-2014, 2:36 PM
Joe, I just posted this in the Deals and Discounts section but I'll post it here for you as well. This is a pretty sweet deal. Still not cheap but its the best deal on the DW735 I've seen in a long time.

http://www.rockler.com/dewalt-dw735x-13-2-speed-planer-with-knives-table-with-free-dewalt-dwp611-fixed-base-router

Again, please remove this post if I'm breaking any rules here.

too bad shipping is $50. Its on sale for $599 at home depot

Art Mann
04-30-2014, 3:54 PM
Amazon has the 735X for $587 with free shipping. That isn't even a sale price.