PDA

View Full Version : New to this

Casey kerner
04-27-2014, 7:31 PM
Hey there creekers. I picked up a used artsign 60 watt unit and have started to look at software. What do you recommend for starting out and future growth? Corel draw? Photograv? Photoshop? I want to be able to cut and engrave. Looking for picture engraving and shape/clipart and text capabilities. I don't want to buy unnecessary software if I don't have to. Thanks!

Bill Munroe
04-27-2014, 8:37 PM
Casey, I do all that you mention above with Corel Draw 5 and am quite happy with it. I also have Photoshop, but never use it. Can't speak to Photograv.

Casey kerner
04-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the response Bill. These programs are not cheap so it is nice to know that I can get by with just one. Any advice on which version? I see they are on x7 now. Are they all compatible more or less? I am thinking it has to import into lasercut 5.3 software and then to the laser, correct?

Bill Munroe
04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
I've seen a lot of discussion on the various Corel versions. Most folks seem pretty happy with X5, I'm sure you get more bells and whistles, but am quite sure you can get X5 for less money and it should do what you need. Do a search on Corel versions in this forum and you will find a wealth of information. Don't know about the lasercut software end of things. My machine is an Epilog. All I do is pull up what I want to cut/engrave in Corel and hit "print". I then have the option of adjusting my settings (speed, power, raster, vector, dpi, frequency, etc.). Once I've selected what I want, I push print again and ZING! It's printing. Hopefully, someone who is familiar with your hardware will pick up this thread.

Bert Kemp
04-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Casey,
I bought corel x5 on amazon for 60 bucks, its a licensed copy and I can do what ever I need to do, you'll never learn it all LOL

Kev Williams
04-28-2014, 12:57 AM
My BIL who works for me is on Corel's annual pay plan which pays for any and all upgrades-- I find it a bit amusing how many people here use and like X5, yet Corel advised my BIL to stay with X4 until X6 came out because it was so problematic... ??

FWIW he just got the X7 upgrade and now his computer refuses to display thumbnails of his Corel jobs in any file directory. Because of the nature of his jobs and how he saves his files, he doesn't know what the job is without the thumbnail. Even un-installing X7 didn't help. Corel has no answer, and neither does tech support for his computer... He's pretty frustrated with it...

Me, I paid $40 for X4 a couple of months ago, I like it-- Except for the fact that every DXF I import refuses to center-justify any text that should be centered. X3 was fine with me...

John Bion
04-28-2014, 4:17 AM
....I am thinking it has to import into lasercut 5.3 software and then to the laser, correct?

Hi Casey,

Although Lasercut is in theory compatable with CorelDraw, in practice it is often not (some do manage to get it to work - some do not). However the easy solution is to do your design in Corel and then save it as a DXF file in the Save As menu using the option of Autocad 2000. I know this may sound complicated but it really is simple (if I can do it it has to be simple:o). Lasercut will import the DXF file without any problems. This forum is fantastic for Corel help and there is plenty of help on Youtube too. It works well for us.
Kind Regards, John

Casey kerner
04-28-2014, 9:27 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I will try and find x4 or x5 and try those. This forum is awesome.

Casey

Travis Wizniuk
04-28-2014, 9:51 AM
I use Corel Draw X7 with Lasercut 5.3.

I usually Print to the Lasercut printer instead of importing. I find its just easier and works very well.

I also use Adobe Illustrator for some things that Corel can't do (i.e. import a Vector PDF file).

Rolf Randby
04-28-2014, 6:02 PM
Hey there creekers. I picked up a used artsign 60 watt unit and have started to look at software. What do you recommend for starting out and future growth? Corel draw? Photograv? Photoshop? I want to be able to cut and engrave. Looking for picture engraving and shape/clipart and text capabilities. I don't want to buy unnecessary software if I don't have to. Thanks!

Why not try Inkscape to start with it is free and pretty versatile :-)

Kev Williams
04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
I have a question (or 2) for you guys concerning 'dumping' your job from Corel into your laser software:

My Triumph software is PHworks / PHcad, and I'm not sure but I think it's much the same as Laserworks. Not sure about Lasercut- Anyway, I have a one-click macro button that dumps whatever's in Corel into the PH software...

Question 1, is that pretty much how these other programs work?

Question 2, after the dump, does the work have to be re-positioned in the laser software, or is the work place in the exact position it was in Corel?

(I'll get to why I'm asking after I get some answers :) )

John Bion
04-29-2014, 8:20 AM
Hi Kev,
In theory Lasercut 5.3 has the ability to work directly from CorelDraw. This function has never worked for me ( and I know that this is an issue for some other users too). I have CD X3 and X6, both of which I was assured would work fine with lasercut and neither of which do - even after hours of Chinese engineers trying to get them working. If I save into DXF format and import that file into Lasercut, it places the drawing at the centre of the screen/table, not at the position it was drawn at. This does not bother me, I suppose I have got used to it.
Kind Regards, John

PS: the problem is not with CorelDraw, CD is great, just the Chinese software not doing what it is sold to do.

Mike Null
04-29-2014, 9:10 AM
I began using Corel with version 8. I find it peculiar that a Corel person would tout X4 and X6 when the word among users about Corel for many years was that the odd numbered versions were better. I've used 11, X3 and X5 and have been very pleased with all.

Clark Pace
04-29-2014, 4:32 PM
He, He. I still use Corel 9. It's nice and fast on the new machines. I use Corel 9, Photoshop and Photograv. While I can do a pretty good job at photo's using Photoshop I still find Photograv to be very useful, and fast.

Bill George
04-30-2014, 8:49 AM
He, He. I still use Corel 9. It's nice and fast on the new machines. I use Corel 9, Photoshop and Photograv. While I can do a pretty good job at photo's using Photoshop I still find Photograv to be very useful, and fast.
Works like a charm (CD 9) on Win 7, for converting and working with bitmaps and tracing does a great job. Save as a DXF and It goes right into LaserCAD just fine. Used it with both my other CNC machines, the plasma cutter and router.