PDA

View Full Version : a few things i've been up to

sascha gast
06-25-2005, 4:20 AM
some of those bowls i did a while ago, but my customers wanted to buy some bowls from me and so i buffed them up real nice, most of the aussie burls and also my new addiction, translucent bowls. this is addictive, wall thickness about 3/32, soaked in watco for a minimum of about 72 hours in 12 hour intervals. one of them is regular old pine i got free from a tree cutting service. the rest is norfolk island pine.
most of these were turned on my stubby i got a few weeks ago, i just love it, what a nice machine.
thanx for looking everybody

sascha

sascha gast
06-25-2005, 4:21 AM
and one more, this is the regular pine, i actually love turning pine as well, makes the shop smell so nice

sascha

John Hart
06-25-2005, 6:03 AM
Sasha...All your work is beautiful. You certainly have an eye for distinguished shapes and wood. Your talent is enviable

Ken Fitzgerald
06-25-2005, 7:34 AM
Beautiful work and wood Sascha!

John Shuk
06-25-2005, 8:54 AM
Looking good Sascha. I drive past an awful lot of pine that is cut up by the side of the road. Maybe I'd better give it a second look. They really remind me of art glass.
Are you using the full log and including the pith in these pieces? Keep up the nice work.

John Miliunas
06-25-2005, 9:34 AM
Sascha, are those from "green"? And, if so, they don't look distorted or "lop-sided" at all! How you manage that? :confused: In the end, they are just wonderful looking pieces! Any attempts I've ever had at getting it that thin, yielded many, many small pieces for each "whole" piece attempt!:eek: :o :cool:

Jim Becker
06-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Man, you're exercising that Stubby really well!! Outstanding work, Sascha!

Charles McKinley
06-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Sascha,

Those are wonderful. I to would like to know more on what you are diong with the pith to keep them from splitting.

Thinks for sharing,

Bill Stevener
06-25-2005, 1:26 PM
Hi Sascha,

With out any doubt, you are an inspiration to all, showing great work, that truly comes from deep within the heart. It's always nice to see the grand beauty, that hides benith the bark, and is then, unfolded for us to admire.

Very nice presentation.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

Glenn Hodges
06-25-2005, 3:13 PM
Beautiful work! I have a question, when you say ordinary pine, could you be more specific? I would like to know which species you used. Your info would be appreciated.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-25-2005, 4:06 PM
Those are Fantastic Sascha.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2005, 6:38 PM
Sascha, those are really beautiful.

With one of you earlier posts, you inspired me to make a trip to Costco. I did this morning and came home to see your new post. I want to see how it works on some of this aromatic cedar I have. No delusions here that I will turn to your level of talent, but hoping it will solve some of the cracking with the cedar.

Ernie

sascha gast
06-25-2005, 7:27 PM
ok, let me see if i can answer a few questions.
the pieces are rough turned to about 3/4", then they go in kirkland dishwashing liquid, equal parts liquid and water. i have about 22 gallons in a 44 gallon trash can. i soak them there over night or longer, sometimes a few days. that will help with warping and cracking, so far it worked great, but i'll check if that goes for every green wood or just pine and such.
all i know it's regular pine, you know, stuff growing on every corner, i couldn't tell you more about it.
then, one day, i'll turn it thin, really thin, i finish it all the way. then they'll go in danish oil bath. right now i am using a 5 gallon bucket, but i have a 55 gallon steel barrel coming that i will fill about 1/2 to 3/4 with homebrew mix.
they stay in for 24 hours at first, then come out to dry all the way. then i'll check the knots and us CA glue to stabilize them and sometimes i have to do that more than once. if one of the knots falls out, i use coffee grounds to fill the hole and sand flush when dry.
after that, they'll go into the oil bath for at least 7 or 8 sessions of about 12 hours, each time wet sanded when they come out of the oil.

i hope that helps

sascha

Jason Solodow
06-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Hey Sascha-

First off, absolutely beautiful pieces. I'm assuming that when you say you wet sand them after they come out of the oil bath, that is done off the lathe right? It doesn't look like there is any distortion in them. How long out of the dishwashing/water bath do you dry them before final turning? Also, as the others I'm curious what you do about the pith...
Thanks!
Jason

sascha gast
06-26-2005, 1:27 AM
i pull them out and turn them right away to finished shape and transluceny, then get sanded on the lathe and parted off and right away in the oil for a day before i do anything.
then it's just repeated drying and dipping

sascha

mike malone
06-26-2005, 7:20 AM
Awesome Sasha...quite a process!
regards
mike