PDA

View Full Version : 12" H&L Sanding Disks?

Ian MacDonald
05-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a Delta 12" disk sander to add to my collection. :D
It seems to be a pretty nice machine. Very quiet, good dust collection and has a brake that can stop the disk in a couple of seconds.

Anyway, I was pondering the options for changing to different sanding disks when I came across an item from ShopSmith in their latest catalog. I seems they have a kit that converts a 12" PSA sanding disk to one that will use the hook and loop sanding disks. Has anyone here used such a thing? Does the disk still perform as well as with PSA disks? I guess my concern would be that the sandpaper may not be as rigidly attached to the disk such that it may be harder to get crisp edges on the workpieces.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

-- Ian

Glenn Clabo
05-22-2003, 7:03 AM
One lap in the pits...No Gloat mentioned!

Jim Becker
05-22-2003, 9:51 AM
Ian, the one concern I would have with covering a 12" disk sander to H&L is the added "padding" that this method provides. With a hand-held ROS, it's actually an advantage to have that little bit if "give" since your motions in using the tool often vary the contact between the tool and the workpiece. With a stationary sander like this that is most often used for shaping a workpiece, that "give" might reduce the accuracy of your work.

Further, you have to consider if you really change the disks all that often...I know I don't. I only use a 100 grit disk, keep it clean and it lasts "almost forever". A little more time to change it is insignificant to me and the positive surface that the PSL attachment gives is a plus for this tool, IMHO.

Bobby Hatfield
05-22-2003, 9:13 PM
Ian, I ordered my H & L adaptor and disk, from Industrial Abrasives Co. 1 800 428 2222. It does a good job, only side affect is I had problem with dust duct not reattaching easily and left it off, as if that little amount of dust makes any difference in my shop. They have a site www.industrialabrasives.com also.