View Full Version : Tenryu blades, Oshlun dado

Jim Andrew
04-27-2014, 3:55 PM
I recently ordered some Tenryu blades to fit my Hammer tablesaw, and also picked up a Oshlun dado from Carbide Processors. I have used the 12" rip blade on the Hammer, with very good results, am happy to report I did not use my jointer fitting panels, just the slider. As perfect edge joints as any panel I have made. Also used the plywood blade to cut the hardwood plywood, did not bother with the scoring blade, and the plywood cuts were very nice. Not perfect, but as good as can be expected without scoring. Also used the ply blade to crosscut the solid wood panels, and there was NO chipping. I used the Oshlun dado on my Unisaw to make the joints in the box, and was very happy with those as well. Set the blade up and made a cut on scrap which fit the plywood thickness very well, but after I grooved the panels, found it to be a bit tight, so will exchange the shim with a thicker one. The Oshlun fit the arbor very snug, had to turn the blades a little to get them on the arbor, and the grooves were very nice in the ply and the solid wood. Had to use cauls when clamping up the cabinet to get the middle of the panels into the grooves all the way. But, the tight fit will not hurt as it is together all the way, and glued up. Just wanted to let you guys know, if you haven't tried Tenryu blades, you are missing something. I have some Freud, Forest, and other less expensive blades, but these Tenryu are amazing, and really pretty reasonable for what you get.

Peter Quinn
04-27-2014, 4:37 PM
I recently ordered some Tenryu blades to fit my Hammer tablesaw, and also picked up a Oshlun dado from Carbide Processors. I have used the 12" rip blade on the Hammer, with very good results, am happy to report I did not use my jointer fitting panels, just the slider. As perfect edge joints as any panel I have made. Also used the plywood blade to cut the hardwood plywood, did not bother with the scoring blade, and the plywood cuts were very nice. Not perfect, but as good as can be expected without scoring. Also used the ply blade to crosscut the solid wood panels, and there was NO chipping. I used the Oshlun dado on my Unisaw to make the joints in the box, and was very happy with those as well. Set the blade up and made a cut on scrap which fit the plywood thickness very well, but after I grooved the panels, found it to be a bit tight, so will exchange the shim with a thicker one. The Oshlun fit the arbor very snug, had to turn the blades a little to get them on the arbor, and the grooves were very nice in the ply and the solid wood. Had to use cauls when clamping up the cabinet to get the middle of the panels into the grooves all the way. But, the tight fit will not hurt as it is together all the way, and glued up. Just wanted to let you guys know, if you haven't tried Tenryu blades, you are missing something. I have some Freud, Forest, and other less expensive blades, but these Tenryu are amazing, and really pretty reasonable for what you get.

My experience with Tenyru has been similar. Great performance blades...no idea what they cost, boss was paying,.

Justin Ludwig
04-27-2014, 4:57 PM
I had Tom at Carbide Processors custom make me two blades. I can't speak for the quality of Tenryu blades, but Tom's are bad to the bone. I'm very pleased. I'll be ordering a 12" RAS blade from him soon.

lowell holmes
04-27-2014, 5:04 PM
I have both a 10" Tenryu and a Forest Woodworker II. Both have been sharpened by Forest. I can't tell any difference in their performance.

Jim Andrew
04-28-2014, 8:28 AM
My thinking is that if you actually get a blade designed for ripping or crosscutting, it will outperform a general purpose blade. And these Tenryu blades are really fine for their purpose. Thing is, they ran a speck under 70$ each.

lowell holmes
04-28-2014, 2:00 PM
I agree the price is steep, however, I've had my Tenryu 12 years and my Forest about 10 years. I also have an Amana rip blade that cost about as much. It is about 6 or 7 years old.

When they last that long, the cost is not prohibitive.

The Tenryu and the Forest will make glueline rips on my old contractor's saw. It is 15 years old.

Tom Walz
04-29-2014, 3:46 PM
Thank you all for the kind remarks.

If tow really good blades are ground the same they should perform the same. I have always been a big fan of Forest. We asked if we could sell them. They were very polite but we discount our products heavily and that would not have worked with their current distributor network.

One of our goals is to introduce great tools to a wider market. Tenryu has a much bigger following in larger industrial applications than other places. If Tenryu is too expensive, even given the very long life, then we also sell Popular Tools blades. An extra 10% off for Creekers at checkout if you enter Creekers as a code. www.carbideprocessors.com

Our custom blades are a delight to sell. The folks who make them have at least 30 years experience and are second or third generation. They get to use the very best materials and to do things the right way.

Tom

Jim Andrew
04-30-2014, 9:05 AM
Tom, do you have plans to offer a dado blade that is made to fit on the Hammer-Felder machines? I find that it would be very nice to have dado capacity on my slider, would make it much easier to put a groove out in the middle of a long piece, such as a tall cabinet. Currently, I clamp a board across the piece and use a router. Did one on my Unisaw with the Oshlun dado, but was a little wobbly with just a miter gauge.

Rick Fisher
05-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I have 3 Tenryu blades, a Forrest and an FS Tool .. I would say they are all about equal. I would buy Tenryu again in a heart beat.

Tom Walz
05-01-2014, 1:56 PM
Jim,

Whitney is looking into it for you.

We didn't have any plans but now we do.

Tom