PDA

View Full Version : Yay, my new workbench top is done

Judson Green
04-27-2014, 2:28 PM
Just thought I'd share with you guys.

It's a little over 7' long, the flat part is about 21½" deep. Maple for the frame and standard 2×4's for the infill. Tool well will accommodate a 4 or 5 on its side.

288185 288186 288187 288188 288189 288190

My old one was a solid core door and while that worked it left me wanting something better. Like being able to flatten it and also I wanted to raise the height of my work surface a bit, 35½"... a little better for my 6'3" alien shaped body. Move the dog row closer to the front edge (1⅜") and have more of em.

David Weaver
04-27-2014, 2:48 PM
Looks good. I don't know if you've had occasion to use the length, but when you do, you'll appreciate that you have it.

Randy Bonella
04-27-2014, 2:51 PM
Very nice!!! that will serve you well for many years.

Are the end caps lagged in or barrel bolts? I opted for barrel bolts but not sure it makes much of any difference.

Congrats on getting it done!

Randy...

Chris Griggs
04-27-2014, 2:58 PM
Sweet! Love the shaker underbelly too.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2014, 2:58 PM
Very nice Judson! A similar bench is on my "to do" list.

Brian Holcombe
04-27-2014, 3:11 PM
Very nice work!

Dave Beauchesne
04-27-2014, 5:08 PM
Very nice job!! It will serve you well.

Judson Green
04-27-2014, 5:16 PM
Thanks guys!

Don't often use the length, David, (its the same size as the top it replaced) but you're right it is sure handy when needed. Can do 8' if I clamp a stop at the left end and run out the "tail vise" a bit.

Randy, the ends caps are lagged. Was thinking of something more secure, but I think it'll be fine.

Chris, I totally cheated on the cabinet part. Its ½" plywood, 2×4's ripped in half and squared. Made some torsion box beams and painted to hide screw holes. How's your bench going? Haven't seen a update in a while.

Ken & Brian, thanks.

Winton Applegate
04-27-2014, 5:16 PM
Ha, Ha,
I laugh every time I see your quote (silent alarms). And I haven't even seen the movie yet. I added it to my Q.
Besides the bench, which is going to be really useful, I am enjoying your plane collection. Easy to view (enjoy), get at and use.

Sure will beat a door to work on.

Judson Green
04-27-2014, 5:29 PM
Dave, thanks.

OK, Winton, I'll confess I had a few breakdown moments where I retreated to my former electronic woodworker, but I'm trying. The movie (Big trouble) is absolutely freaking hilarious, a must see.

Tom M King
04-27-2014, 7:06 PM
Looks great!

Chris Griggs
04-27-2014, 7:09 PM
Chris, I totally cheated on the cabinet part. Its ½" plywood, 2×4's ripped in half and squared. Made some torsion box beams and painted to hide screw holes. How's your bench going? Haven't seen a update in a while.

That's not cheating. Its shop furniture...I'd call that intelligent, practical, efficient and effective long before I called it cheating.

I haven't been to Pauls in quite a while so I haven't touched my bench. Things got really busy for both Paul and I towards the end of the winter. Hopefully we can make time to finish in the next couple weeks.

Fortunately, the bench I already have is plenty effective, so as much as I want to get the new one in the shop not having it isn't stopping me from doing other stuff.

Steve Voigt
04-27-2014, 7:36 PM
Right on, Judson! Looks good.

That's not cheating. Its shop furniture...I'd call that intelligent, practical, efficient and effective long before I called it cheating.

+1 to what Chris said.

Joe A Faulkner
04-27-2014, 9:55 PM
Great looking bench, and nice arrangement for your hand tools. Are the dark areas in the top across from the face vise planing stops? Those are some saw horses you have. At first I thought they were the super structure for your cabinet. Looks like you scored some decent 2x4's for the top.

Tony Wilkins
04-27-2014, 9:59 PM
Looks very nice. If you're unhappy with it at all just drop it in the mail to me ;)

Judson Green
04-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Great looking bench, and nice arrangement for your hand tools. Are the dark areas in the top across from the face vise planing stops? Those are some saw horses you have. At first I thought they were the super structure for your cabinet. Looks like you scored some decent 2x4's for the top.

Thanks Joe and Tony.

The dark areas are cherry Dutchman to patch some pretty nasty tear out when planing. The sawhorses are indeed stout. They've served me well over the years.

John Crawford
04-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Nice! How did you cut the angle on the sweep-out side of your tool tray?

Christopher Charles
04-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Looks great-- I like the combination of wide flat area and tool tray. Let us know how that combination treats you. Also, really like your storage above the bench.

C

Marty Gulseth
04-28-2014, 1:26 AM
Really nice - well done! (May I please be jealous for just a few moments?)

Regards, Marty

Alex Zimmer
04-28-2014, 2:15 AM
Beautiful broad surface! And is that a flip up stop for sawing on the tail chop?

Judson Green
04-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys.

John, I used a band :rolleyes: saw to cut the sweepouts, clean up with a smoother.

Alex, no that's to reinforce the area behind the popup dog in the chop. I'm not familiar with flip up saw stop, got a photo?

Matthew N. Masail
04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
GREAT looking set up! plenty of storage and seems like you'll really enjoy spending time there.

The only thing I would want is a planing stop that I can hammer up or down. I added one to my bench and it's my favorite thing, really.

Daniel Rode
04-28-2014, 9:43 PM
The bench look terrific, Judson! I'd really like to build one some day. I purchased my top a few years ago and that's good and bad. The good is that it's a pretty decent b bench top with a "good enough" tail and face vice. The down side it that it's not quite what I want or need but close enough that it's tough to justify building a new one.

As for the cabinet, it looks great as well. Plywood is not cheating just a practical choice. I'm always torn with stuff for the shop. I WANT to build something nice using quality materials nicely worked and finished. Usually though it's made quickly out of scraps and cheap materials because I have other "real" projects that need my time and material more.

Judson Green
04-29-2014, 11:07 AM
GREAT looking set up! plenty of storage and seems like you'll really enjoy spending time there.

The only thing I would want is a planing stop that I can hammer up or down. I added one to my bench and it's my favorite thing, really.

Thanks Daniel.

Matthew, I think I may add a planing stop in the near future, but one like this.

Ron Bontz
04-29-2014, 2:14 PM
Sweet. Now I am jealous. :)

Matthew N. Masail
04-29-2014, 2:59 PM
Thanks Daniel.

Matthew, I think I may add a planing stop in the near future, but one like this.

That could work great, as long as the vise dosen't get in your way!

What I like about the friction fit is that all you need is too hammer it up or down, no need to screw or unscrew anything. if you fit it tight it's real nice. I guess if you use the right hardware, maybe nylock nut's, you could do the same with a stop like to one in the picture.

Judson Green
04-29-2014, 4:31 PM
I don't know what I'll do, you've given me food for thought.

Judson Green
04-29-2014, 4:32 PM
Thanks Ron.

Peter Pedisich
04-29-2014, 8:45 PM
LOVE IT! looks great Judson. Really like the chisels at the angle.
-pete