PDA

View Full Version : Trying to avoid bleeding

Don Slaughter
06-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Made a picture frame with purple heart and ebony inlaid in maple. Wure hate to start the finish on it until I get some experienced feedback on preventing bleeding. Can anyone help?
:confused: Thanks a bunch,
Don

Kelly C. Hanna
06-25-2005, 8:13 AM
I have a project where I'll be using Bloodwood. Didn't know there'd be a problem with the tight grain it has. I'd better watch this thread...

Jim Becker
06-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Spray your finish.

Lee DeRaud
06-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Spray your finish.When I saw that subject line, I was going to suggest "kevlar gloves".:cool:

Somebody want to explain the problem to me?:confused:

Brent Smith
06-25-2005, 1:05 PM
Try to do all the sanding and prep before assembly. If you have to do any more after assembly use scrapers. Scrape with the grain and blow it off frequently.Do not sand after assembly, you will definately get some transfer that way. As Jim said spray your finish on.

Brent

nic obie
06-25-2005, 1:15 PM
Spray your finish.

yep... use very light coats as a heavy coat will cause bleeding.

Trust me, I've been there :D

Pete Harbin
06-25-2005, 1:37 PM
Ditto on the sanding tips once the pieces are assembled. I had some serious transfer of Padauk onto Birdseye Maple several years ago. Trying to lightly sand out the Padauk dust from those eyes doubled the project time!

Pete

Don Slaughter
06-26-2005, 1:33 AM
Thanks folks. Kevlar gloves didn't help :D . Since the project was already put together I couldn't do the finish work prior to assembly. I just winged it and tried to keep the scraper scrap off the maple....then I used a Qtip to apply shellac to the purple heart and then the ebony...after it dried a bit I applied it to the maple. Seemed to work althiugh it was tegeous. I used 2 coats of shellac then 2 coats of danish oil...rubbed it down with 0000SW after each coat. Looks good. I'll post pics if I can ever figure how to cut them down to less than 100kb. :confused:

Thanks again,
Don