PDA

View Full Version : Which lacquer finish?

Brian Kent
04-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I have yet to try a lacquer finish. I have seen people writing about spray on and brush on.

Any favorites in brand name or application method?

Prashun Patel
04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
I have sprayed deft lacquer. I thin it with lacquer thinner about 20 pct. it sprays so easily.

For turned work, it doesnt get much easier than the rattlecans. Even when spraying inside bowls the finish levels very well.

Thom Sturgill
04-27-2014, 6:56 PM
Pretty much everyone in our club uses Deft rattle can to some extent. Be aware that as the can gets low, you will be more likely to get 'orange peel' texture. there is a 70-70 rule with lacquer - newer spray if the temp is below 70 or humidity above 70. (The last is kind of hard to follow in Florida) The result can be blush, but that can be cured with a fresh layer which dissolves into the previous layer and releases the moisture. We don't use the gloss version because the mixture is different from the other forms we use and we thin the brush on 3-4 parts thinner to 1 part lacquer for a filler. This causes penetration of the lacquer into the wood. We can wet sand to level in 15-20 minutes and wet polish (mineral spirits) with abrasive cloths up to 4-8000 or even 12000 grit. Keep a soft tissue in contact with the surface, usually opposite side of the piece from the sanding/polishing cloth to pick up the dust

robert baccus
04-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Check out the search thingy. There has been a great deal of advice in the recent past.

John Sincerbeaux
04-28-2014, 12:06 AM
I spray Behlen's "Qualalac" NC lacquer and have for over 10 years on jewelry boxes and humidors. Jeff Jewitt, Finishing Guru, says the Behlen is the easiest, most forgiving lacquer on the market. Contact him and check out his website and finishing forum at Homestead finishing.com

Bob Bergstrom
04-28-2014, 9:22 AM
Mohawk lacquers (which seem to be the same as Behlans) flows out well out of the spray can. Sprays well no matter how much is left in the can. I learned long ago that they all flow out better if you warm the can up in warm water before spaying.

Thom Sturgill
04-28-2014, 1:22 PM
... I learned long ago that they all flow out better if you warm the can up in warm water before spaying.

Good idea!:)

robert baccus
04-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Mohawk and Behlens are the same company. They do offer different products. Three years ago I purchased a gallon of my standard hi solids SS and it was spit. Contacted the company and it is only offered in the Mohawk brand. Seems that Calif. had new rules that affected a lot of products like anchor seal one and two. Went ahead and switched to Mohawk precat lacquer & SS and the new potent retarders they all sell now. Made my lacquer jobs much faster and much more durable. Why didn't someone tell me about this stuff years ago. They spray on much thicker than nitro lacquer--flows out nicely and sometimes needs no rubout at all. The stuff dries a bit slower but keeps crosslinking for months. Any wet sanding should be done in a couple of days--it really gets hard and glassy. I do all my spraying by gun but keep a rattle can of thinner, retarder and lacquer for the regular screw-ups. All these new products willwork with older products and are compatable. Big plus. Behlaens and Mohawk produce true professional brands superior to Lowes or Kamart stuff.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-29-2014, 3:57 AM
I use Deft in the rattle can too. Although its tough to get less than 70 degrees here, I think it's impossible to be less than 70 humidity. Warming the can up may be a good trick. I have that 1/4 left in the can problem too. I may have to look for Mohawk/Behlens and give that a shot. No complaints with Deft though. Sometings not knowing there is something better is bliss. Thanks for the tip.

Mike Furness
04-30-2014, 7:03 PM
I just sprayed a hollow form tonight with Mohawk rattle can lacquer.