PDA

View Full Version : Three Pens tonight

John Hart
06-24-2005, 10:52 PM
I went through some of my piles of wood and found some interesting pieces. I wanted to do 5 pens tonight but just got tired after three. The three below are Figured Beech (I think), Ambrosia Maple, and Cherry. The Cherry is a pencil. I decided to try CA glue as a finish. I thought that it behaved pretty good and I didn't get stuck to anything! The closeup is to show off some of the figure in the Beech. Thanks for looking!! This is fun!

Roy Wall
06-24-2005, 11:39 PM
looks good John..........:)

ergonomic shapes!! NICE!!!

Carole Valentine
06-24-2005, 11:43 PM
John! You're backwards! Most people start with pens and move on to bowls.:D
Kidding aside, they are beautiful pens. Glad you didn't get stuck to your lathe.

Jim Ketron
06-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Nice looking pens John!

Bill Stevener
06-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi John,

Some very nice looking pens. Something I have never ventured in to, but have looked on while other turners were making them. Quite interesting, seems to be a subject that takes a bit of instruction to get the process down just right.

You noted the use of CA glue as a finish. This again, is another area I have never experimented with. However, during a period of wood surfing on the net, I looked in on another channel, and found a very interesting chat taking place. Re. the use of CA glue as a finish. One chap noted the moisture from ones hands tends to break down the finish in a somewhat short period of time. He had sold some 500 pens, and had to recall them all back, with a great loss. As well as, to say the least, what it did to his reputation. A number of other pen turners? noted the same. But again, I have never tried it as a finish. If you wish, PM me and I will give you the channel # and you can review the discussion, very, very interesting.

As a last note, I was out yesterday afternoon looking for goose quills, to use in a turning project that I an working on. Thats about the extent of my pen experience.

Later - Bill.>>>>>>>>

John Hart
06-25-2005, 6:10 AM
John! You're backwards! Most people start with pens and move on to bowls.:D...

Rules??? I don't like rules!! I do whatever hits me at the time...it's my only escape. I still don't wear my seatbelt.:D

Thanks everyone. I think the best thing about these pens is that they are fast and easy and pretty. Handing them to people is my favorite thing to do. If I get better at it...I might actually try to sell some.

John Hart
06-25-2005, 6:20 AM
...Re. the use of CA glue as a finish. One chap noted the moisture from ones hands tends to break down the finish in a somewhat short period of time. ...

Now, that's pretty interesting Bill. Two things to note on this...When I first heard about using CA as a finish, my first reaction was, "But cured CA is water soluable"...but I just blew it off and figured that I didn't know what I was talking about. You've renewed my suspicion. The second thing was something Blake McCulley said to me...That you really don't need any kind of finish per se....Just polish the wood and wax and buff. He said that the natural oils in the fingers over time put a nice patina on the pen...Evidently making them prettier over time. This seemed like good sound reasoning.

Yes...I would be interested in reading that discussion that you referred to. I don't want to do something that ultimately results in failure of the piece. (That's the engineer in me)

Thanks much!

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-25-2005, 4:12 PM
Lookin' GOOD, John!

Bruce

Jason Solodow
06-25-2005, 11:20 PM
You guys have started going on a subject I'm really curious about. Has anyone found a good high gloss finish that doesn't break down rapidly from skin oils? I've got people who are asking to buy pens from me, but I'm uncomfortable selling them until I've got a great finish on them that I know won't deteriorate. Any ideas??

Jason

Ernie Nyvall
06-25-2005, 11:49 PM
Wow John, you are doing really good with those pens. I like that smooth rounded form.

Ernie

John Hart
06-26-2005, 6:34 AM
You guys have started going on a subject I'm really curious about. Has anyone found a good high gloss finish that doesn't break down rapidly from skin oils?...

No help here Jason. I'm just too new at this. Maybe that Jim Becker Guy has a suggestion???:confused:

mike malone
06-26-2005, 7:16 AM
Nice job, John
Very crisp looking!!
regards
mike

John Miliunas
06-26-2005, 11:32 AM
You guys have started going on a subject I'm really curious about. Has anyone found a good high gloss finish that doesn't break down rapidly from skin oils? I've got people who are asking to buy pens from me, but I'm uncomfortable selling them until I've got a great finish on them that I know won't deteriorate. Any ideas??

Jason

Jason, back when I was doing a lot of pens, I noted the sometimes rather quick breakdown of whatever finish I was using. But, as mentioned, there is something to be said about allowing the natural patina to evolve with use. That notwithstanding, I tried something a few years ago. I finished turning my upper and lower barrels (Padauk in this case), sanding to a 600 grit. I then took a couple chunks of stiff wire and fed one through each barrel, followed by a "dunk" in my jar of witch's brew (Blo/Naptha/GlossPoly, each 1/3 mix). I hung up to thoroughly dry. Once dry, I hit each end on a piece of sandpaper down to clean brass & wood, as well as chasing each barrel with a quick swipe of the pen mill. This has been my daily user for close to 3 years now, with extremely little degradation of the finish!:) YMMV with assorted woods but, it sure worked on this one. FWIW, I still like the more natural look (shellac or wax) with the aging of the patina.:) :cool:

Bill Esposito
06-26-2005, 10:28 PM
John,

The pens look great and a great finish. Had I seen this before making my pen I wudda tried the CA.

When a pen is brand new I like the look of the gloss finish but like John Miliunas, I personally perfer the patina which happens over time for the pens I use. I have one pen which gets daily use for almost 2 years now, looks great.