PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No 4 Type 5

Logan Wittmer
04-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Howdy Folks. Stopped by a local flea market the other day and picked up what I believe is a Stanley No 4 type 5 smoother. Being relatively new to hand planes, I thought I better ask before I start messing around with it too much. I've fixed up a few old defiance's planes and other Stanley, but never have had anything this early. What do No 4 (assuming that is what it is, based on measurements....no numbers on casting of any kind) type 5's usually go for? Over all condition is what I would call fair - The mushroom shaped knob is chipped around the base, but the iron and chipbreaker are both good. Tote has been repaired at one point, and the Y Adusting lever is forced out of position onto the adjusting nut (you can probably see that on the photos). Sole is in okay shape - there is a small hair line crack on one edge of the mouth, looks like about a 2mm chip might come out if I flatten the sole. Cap Iron does have a chip in it.

Photos are pre-any sort of cleaning - pretty dirty and dingy.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/owk7imm4knl51hg/20140426_212641.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2o7moxt7x8msv8/20140426_213117.jpg

Thoughts? Should I throw a new Lie Nielsen or Veritas Iron in it and use it, or is it worth more to sell it and buy a later model?

James Conrad
04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Not an expert on this, but might be a type 15-20 as it looks like it has the raised casting for the knob.

Logan Wittmer
04-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Neg on the raised casting. Here is a better shot of it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkgumdp5l3qy87g/20140426_220418.jpg

Mel Miller
04-26-2014, 11:11 PM
It looks like an earlier type 5 before they started putting the number on the toe. First bent lateral, beaded knob, & frog seat look correct. However, with that many condition issues it's not of interest to collectors.

James Conrad
04-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Possible type 4 body then, are there any numbers at all cast in the bed?

Logan Wittmer
04-26-2014, 11:33 PM
No numbers that I can find. my impression was that there may be a number under the frog, but nothing that I can see.

lowell holmes
04-27-2014, 12:24 AM
I put the new LV and breakers on three of my Stanley planes and can tell you I really like the feel of the planes with them in them.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2014, 1:37 AM
Logan,

Welcome to the Creek. Where do you call home?

+1 on what Mel said. Collectors tend to like as near to perfect as they can get. Especially for a common size like a #4 or #5 condition issues are important.

jtk

Logan Wittmer
04-27-2014, 1:48 AM
Thanks Guys. Im in Iowa - Des Moines to be exact. The info you guys gave me is exactly what I was wanting....Going to clean er up to be a user if I can. Just wanted to make sure there was no collection value before I started cleaning it up.

On a side note - I have not seen many Stanley #4's around Iowa...I see the occasional 7, 5's quite often, but 4's for some reason have been lacking. Usually, Im looking at flea markets and antique stores.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2014, 2:02 AM
On a side note - I have not seen many Stanley #4's around Iowa...I see the occasional 7, 5's quite often, but 4's for some reason have been lacking. Usually, Im looking at flea markets and antique stores.

It may be that Iowa was not a center of furniture building where a smoother would be more in need.

With building of structures, the jointer and jack would be much more in need.

jtk

James Conrad
04-27-2014, 8:43 AM
Try under the tote for a foundry mark. As others said, condition is key, it looks like a late type 4 or early 5 body with a 5 frog. Clean it up and put it to use as is stock and welcome to SMC.

don wilwol
04-27-2014, 1:01 PM
I'm a bit of a collector and have started with planes in condition a lot worse then that one. I'm not sure I buy into the fact that "all" collectors look for perfect condition.

A raised cast ring didn't show up on Stanley's until type 14. I'd question whether its a Stanley at all. It could be, I just would limit my research to Stanley alone.

There are several things that suggest otherwise. The raised ring, the flat sided tote, and the cutter adjustment screw look smaller. Again, all of that could be modifications or the pictures, but keep them in mind.

Mel Miller
04-27-2014, 1:18 PM
I'm a bit of a collector and have started with planes in condition a lot worse then that one. I'm not sure I buy into the fact that "all" collectors look for perfect condition.

A raised cast ring didn't show up on Stanley's until type 14. I'd question whether its a Stanley at all. It could be, I just would limit my research to Stanley alone.

There are several things that suggest otherwise. The raised ring, the flat sided tote, and the cutter adjustment screw look smaller. Again, all of that could be modifications or the pictures, but keep them in mind.

There is no raised ring, OP already verified that. This is not a rare plane, and the throat damage does kill the value for collectors.

don wilwol
04-27-2014, 1:25 PM
Reading on my phone I guess I miss interpreted the raised ring picture. I agree the throat damage hurts collector value. It also hurts the value as a user.