PDA

View Full Version : The complete tool kit

Moses Yoder
04-26-2014, 8:06 PM
I took my family on a date today, me and my wife and two daughters, each with $20 to spend. We went to our countywide garage sales IN Centreville MI where I found a #18 parts plane for $4 and soe crappy book about woodworking and then went to Lowry's Book Store in Three Rivers (they have a web presence). I added a Franklin Gottshall book to my collection for $5 but the most interesting book is one in a series of books called "Woodworker Handbooks". It is titled "Cabinet Making for Beginners", authored by Charles H Hayward, priced at $4.50. I scanned through it sitting in the cafe with a Dr. Pepper then some coffee while my wife attemted to complete her Louis L'Amour collection and my daughters found maps of JRR Tolkiens imaginary lands. I thought these two pages listing a complete tool kit my be helpful for beginners and also intelligent and experienced critiques. It is probably from the 50's (no publication date) and focuses entirely on hand tool woodworking. I notice for sharpening he only has one stone listed which should make Sir Weaver happy and the slip stone. What do you think of this list?

Moses Yoder
04-26-2014, 8:12 PM
I posted a little bit larger image here, a little easier to read COMPLETE TOOL KIT (http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa389/MosesYoder/toolkitcomplete_zps80508e66.jpg)

steven c newman
04-26-2014, 8:17 PM
Used to have the same paperback book! Been "dog-eared" so much, it just fell apart, after a long time of use. Seems to be from England, due to the terms he uses for some of the stuff.

Question: Who wears a tie, and a cardigan Sweater in the shop?

David Weaver
04-26-2014, 9:56 PM
I'll wait to see what warren thinks of it, warren is much more practical than I am!

That said, the plane I just posted (cocobolo smoother) was made using a single washita stone, though I did chase the burr with a jasper when I was paring something.

Sounds like a good idea for the family. You posted the other day that you must be lucky with your girls, and I think you are right. Maybe you don't know it. When I was in high school and college, I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to not go with my parents anywhere - and the same was true for most of my friends.

Alex Zimmer
04-28-2014, 2:36 AM
I love this sort of thing! What do you think the 2 1/2" dimension on "thumbscrews" refers to, throat depth or capacity?

Malcolm Schweizer
04-28-2014, 4:06 PM
It's a trick! No tool kit is ever "complete"!!!

Jeff Hallam
04-28-2014, 5:07 PM
The list seems pretty reasonable. Especially when he has marked some items to procure later.

Bill Houghton
04-28-2014, 7:03 PM
Question: Who wears a tie, and a cardigan Sweater in the shop?

That's an easy one: Mr. Rogers, of course!

I used to find myself sitting with my sons, watching Mr. Rogers, and feeling all calm and soothed. His departure from this planet was a real loss for all of us kids.

Returning to the original topic: every old-school beginner's woodworking book has one of these lists, with variations from one book to the next. They tend to agree on the very core, but then diverge based on the interests of the author.

Randy Fuller
04-29-2014, 9:24 AM
I love the list of "Cramps" that you need to have in your toolkit!

Jim Koepke
04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
I love the list of "Cramps" that you need to have in your toolkit!

Howdy Randy and welcome to the Creek. I see you have been around awhile.

If you didn't know for some reason the British call clamps cramps.

Now if when the get a charlie horse in their leg they called it a clamp, that would be a real hoot.

jtk