PDA

View Full Version : Pair of maple end tables

Prashun Patel
04-26-2014, 6:47 PM
I made maple end tables for my living room.

They're both maple, finished in an oil/polyurethane blend.

I wanted them to feel very light and delicate, so I made the tops very thin, which posed challenges when trying to remove the twist I had post-glueup on one of them.

I don't think I got the proportions right on the aprons (too thick) but live and learn, right?

The walnut pull is from a piece of walnut given to my neighbor from Mira Nakashima.

I made a couple mistakes, including blowing out one of the dovetail pins when chopping. But I think (read: trying to convince myself) that these imperfections are like beauty marks...? My dovetails ain't the prettiest, but I'm trying to learn to do them by hand.

C&C welcome.

Shawn Pixley
04-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Very nice! It is a bit difficult for me to tell from the photos, is there a curve in the legs?

i know what you mean, I only see my mistakes in a finished project.

Phil Thien
04-26-2014, 11:31 PM
I like them.

I've built two sets myself now, and I've learned to model them in SketchUp first to make sure I'll be happy with the proportions.

Prashun Patel
04-27-2014, 9:19 AM
Thanks. Yes, Shawn, those legs are curved in both directions.

Shane Copps
04-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Those are very neat tables. Good Job. I learned some time ago we are our own worst critics. I have had builds that I can see every little "imperfection" look glaringly huge to me and then have to point it out to someone because they cannot see it.

Anyhow, Very good job
Shane

bob blakeborough
04-27-2014, 1:22 PM
Don't ever sweat those little gaps etc on your handcut dovetails/joinery sir. My idea of beauty means it looks like a person put their heart into something and came up with something nice, warm and with a soul... It is not just about repetitive perfection making every one look identical to the one before it. I find that rather boring actually.

Your tables look great!!! Be proud!

Those are very neat tables. Good Job. I learned some time ago we are our own worst critics. I have had builds that I can see every little "imperfection" look glaringly huge to me and then have to point it out to someone because they cannot see it.

Anyhow, Very good job
Shane

You are absolutely right! I know every little issue in everything I make, yet I honestly cannot remember a single time that someone has handled a piece and commented on noticing any of them...

joe valsi
04-27-2014, 8:47 PM
Nice job on the tables, but the dovetails really detract from there rest of your craftsmanship. they are so "bulky" while the rest of the project is light and airy !

Prashun Patel
04-27-2014, 9:10 PM
I appreciate that comment! I made them bulky because they were easier to cut and chop. There are big gaps around the edges of that drawer and I mounted the pull way too low. I may switch it out.

Jim Matthews
04-27-2014, 10:13 PM
It's clean.

It's well built.
It goes with the flooring well.

Kudos

Shawn Pixley
04-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Very nice! I know how trying it is to pull off double curve, double taper legs.

Jim Matthews
04-28-2014, 7:06 AM
Very nice! I know how trying it is to pull off double curve, double taper legs.

Really?
I do it all the time, when I'm trying to make single taper straight legs.

glenn bradley
04-28-2014, 8:23 AM
Sweet looking little tables Prashun. Clean looking lines and the leg detail really catches the eye.

Prashun Patel
04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks. My method almost feels like cheating. I cut the mortises in the legs for the apron tenons when the stock is still square. The curve starts below the apron.

Here's a case where handtools are IMHO superior to power. I bandsawed the legs roughly, and then used a spokeshave and rasp to fair the curves. Those tools just find the high spots on their own. I'm learning to let those tools do their thing; the flat soles of planes and shaves just find the highs and lows on their own. The more I do it the more I realize it was hard for me before because I was fighting and second guessing the tools and not letting them do their thing. I wish I could apply the same philosophy to parenting... :(

Jim Rimmer
04-28-2014, 1:42 PM
I think they came out fine. You managed to get a light and airy look. Great project.