PDA

View Full Version : chisel hammers

Bruce Mack
04-26-2014, 5:12 PM
Derek has written on this subject with expertise. Paul Sellers recommends Thorex plastic faced hammers. I'd like to mention a different option. About 2 years ago I got a holdfast. My deadblow hammers were too wimpy (maybe I was too wimpy) to set it with one blow, so I ordered a WIHA 80245 deadblow filled with steel shot. This is a formidable tool, 37 oz. and 45 mm head diameter. The plastic faces are quite hard and do not dent.
Today I was chopping dovetails using both a gennou and a wooden mallet, each weighing perhaps a pound. They ended up on the tray below the bench so when I got back to work I just reached for the WIHA that had secured the holdfast. With the shaft held at a comfort point it is not unwieldy. I can strike with usual velocity and drive the chisel with good feedback and no bounce. I think it will become my favorite. What's yours?

Brian Holcombe
04-26-2014, 5:27 PM
I have both a joinery mallet and detail mallet from Blue spruce, they work very nicely for what I use them for.

I'm sure I'll eventually be tempted into the land of japanese chisels and steel hammers.

Matthew N. Masail
04-26-2014, 5:28 PM
It's blue and yallow! lol I don't think I'd be able to handle the looks of it on a classic looking chisel...

Chris Fournier
04-26-2014, 7:57 PM
Lignum, lathe, chisel "hammer". You can do it.

steven c newman
04-26-2014, 8:12 PM
Got way too many hammers now. Do have a wood chisel beater, though. Also a 7 oz steel "Tinners" hammer with a square face, and cross pean. A Shoe Cobbler's hammer for some jobs. Big, old 24oz Ball Pean for the BIG jobs. Sometimes, just the hand's palm does the trick. been watching a fellow use a HATCHET for chisel work......to drive the chisels, that is.

Jim Matthews
04-27-2014, 9:34 AM
I use a beat up 20 ounce Stanley "soft face" hammer much like the WIHA you mentioned.

The head is a little smaller, but 37 ounces would be a strain on my elbow if used for long.
I've modified my approach, and won't willingly mortice anything wider than 3/8" by hand.

I found that if I needed a persuader this size, either my tools weren't sharp enough or the material was tough enough to justify a slot mortiser.

Swinging a hammer this big would just wear me out.

steven c newman
04-27-2014, 1:10 PM
My "normal" chisel beater288182is made of wood. Not all that heavy, either. Might say it is "well broke in". As for some of the other hammers288183this one sees a lot of other work, as well. Best brad nailer I've ever had, too.

Frank Drew
04-27-2014, 1:51 PM
I like Japanese hooped chisels so prefer a metal hammer; gives a firm, no-nonsense smack to the chisel when that's what's needed, and the hoop prevents any damage to the chisel handle.