PDA

View Full Version : 0ffice 365 SharePoint or OneDrive

Brian Deakin
04-26-2014, 4:36 PM
I have recently started using Microsoft OneNote

Can anyone please explain the difference between 0ffice 365 SharePoint and OneDrive

any which system should I use to share information

regards Brian

Matt Meiser
04-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Most likely you want One Drive assuming this is personal. For business use, possibly Sharepoint. One Drive (formerly known as Sky Drive) is MS's cloud storage. Sharepoint is...well, lots of things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SharePoint.

We are using One Note with One Drive at our house. We each have our own notebooks plus a shared one that everyone in the family uses for todo lists, shopping lists etc which we can all access from any of our devices.

Brian Deakin
04-27-2014, 6:42 AM
Most likely you want One Drive assuming this is personal. For business use, possibly Sharepoint. One Drive (formerly known as Sky Drive) is MS's cloud storage. Sharepoint is...well, lots of things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SharePoint.

We are using One Note with One Drive at our house. We each have our own notebooks plus a shared one that everyone in the family uses for todo lists, shopping lists etc which we can all access from any of our devices.

Thank you for the information and the link to Wikipedia

The Idea of a to do list/shopping list for the family to share will prove very useful

regards Brian

Steve Rozmiarek
04-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Anyone else hate the branding of this stuff? Seems like a marketing trainwreck. I use the stuff, and I honestly couldn't have answered the question correctly.

Matt Meiser
04-27-2014, 2:03 PM
I constantly mis-speak Sharepoint/One Note at work. We use both extensively, occasionally in combination (though there are some drawbacks we've seen to that approach with real-time syncing not working as one would expect.) And now we've moved to Office 365 at work and each have access to the business version of One Drive and everyone is trying to figure out how that fits into the picture. Often client files can't go on there because it would technically violate most NDA's. However a few clients have insisted we use it for collaboration and file-sharing. One big use we've found for it is as a repository for product documentation that's easily accessible to anyone, from almost anywhere.

Sharepoint does a TON of different things and I'm really not up on most of it. Its got a great issue tracker module I've been very insistent on using for a number of projects as its very easy to track my "todo" list as I move between several projects.

David Weaver
04-27-2014, 2:57 PM
Anyone else hate the branding of this stuff? Seems like a marketing trainwreck. I use the stuff, and I honestly couldn't have answered the question correctly.

Yes, we use office at work and I use it at home. I have no idea what either of those things mean.

I did need to get a version of office to use at home earlier this year, and I had the option to either get a brand new version for $99 a year, or get an enterprise office 2007 version on ebay (that checked out fine as genuine) for $99.

I don't like the new age of "you rent everything" from the software makers, and I don't play video games anymore, but understand those have gone that same direction, too.

Matt Meiser
04-27-2014, 5:25 PM
$99/yr to stay up to date on Office for 4 PCs and now 3 iPads in our household seemed like a decent deal. Keeps us close to the same versions as work/school who are all on maintenance agreements, or in the case of my work now Office 365 as well.

Jim Becker
04-28-2014, 8:12 PM
Matt, I have an Office 365 subscription, too...covers both of my Macs (personal and work) as well as a Win7 install on my work Mac and my older daughters Win8 Machine. And then my iPad and iPhone. Always up to date. The $99 a year is worth that to me for currency and cross platform. (I participate in the BYOD program for work and since I'm a MacOS user, I had to provide my own MS Office anyway--the enterprise license only supplies the Windows version)