PDA

View Full Version : Routers and Router Tables

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2005, 10:01 PM
As I posted earlier I am looking to update my routers soon. Will probably by a PC 310 for rounding over work, sign work and other light duty work. Am going to get a Dewalt DW 618 PK with the fixed and plung bases, this will be for my dadoing and hearvier free hand work. However, will this 2 1/4 model work well in a router table doing rail and stile work and panel raising in 3/4 stock or is it pretty much necessary to get a 3 HP model like the Hitachi? I have been thinking about building a "norm" style router table like many here have, however, since I have a small shop, the size of a cabinet like that may cramp me a bit. I am thinking about getting a Benchdog Pro Contractor router table kit. Is anyone here using this table and if I do go with a 3HP router like the Hitachi, will it work ok in a smaller table like this. This table seems perfect for my shop size wise. Definitely better than the open aluminum craftsman frame one I have now, will be more adjustable, much better fence, enclosed interior for DC and would mount on my portable tool stand and just need to get a light duty mobile base for it. Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks as always,
Corey

Dale Thompson
06-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Corey,
Personally, I'm a Bosch fan. My plunge version holds its settings perfectly and the locking lever has never slipped once. I've got a non-plunge version for my router table (built into my table saw extension). It too has served me very well. Again, it holds the settings perfectly.

Whatever, there are a lot of good routers out there. The PC and Hitachi are right at the top. For a router table, I would stay away from the Milwaukee router unless they have changed their design to keep the body from falling out of the frame when the clamp is released. :eek:

Are you getting reckless? :confused: It sounds as though your electrical update includes more than one receptacle. ;) Watch it, Corey, if you leave the switch "ON" to your belt sander, it may search you out and crawl right up your back! :( :o :) No offense! I'm just concerned about your safety. ;) My wife is from Des Moines so I know the breed. :D :)

Dale T.

Frank Martin
06-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Corey,

Check the new Bosch palm router see if you like it better.
Just a suggestion.

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-subcategory.htm?H=175980&G=66644

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks Dale, what is the HP of your table version? Bosche is nice I am sure, they get very good reviews. I haven't ever bought a Bosch anything, don't know why! I should be able to plug in either my scroll saw or the router table without moving them if I choose to in the new set up :) Man, I went way to many years with basically one outlet and unhooking the plug, plug in another tool, un plug it, plug in the shop vac, un plug that, plug back in the table saw.... it really slows down the creativity. It will be nice!! Des Moines huh...have made that trip way to many times for highschool football and wrestling... even though we are 2 1/2 hours away, my son played many a football game ( field goal/ place kicker/punter) soccer games and wrestling meets in Des Moines area.
Corey

Corey Hallagan
06-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks Frank, I haven't seen the Bosch in person and haven't read much on it but I really like what I read about the 310 and if I do get it I plan on getting Pat Warners base set for them. He really likes the 310 and the Dewalt line up of routers for that matter.

Corey

Dave Mapes
06-24-2005, 11:42 PM
When I was researching routers last year it seem I saw more favorable responses for the bosch routers than all others. Because of that research I ended up with two bosch's, the 1617 fix base for my router table that I never remove and using an older 1613 plunge for all my portable routing.

Based on my experence I would highly recommend the bosch even though the other are good routers.:)

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2005, 1:00 AM
After looking more, I like this little Bosch alot. 1 HP, 35,000 RPM, Soft Start which I really like, I think the only laminate trimmer with soft start. And it is cheaper. Just might have to get my first Bosch!
Corey

Frank Martin
06-25-2005, 2:55 AM
Corey,
The PC 310 is a very old design (about 30 yrs or so). If you read Pat Warner's website you will see he is making reference to one manufacturer updating laminate trimmer desgin. I take he is refering to the Bosch unit. I have not purchased the Bosch yet, but it sure is on my list. It has all the cool features of new generation routers. As you pointed out it is cheaper too.

Ron Teti
06-25-2005, 11:41 AM
I would go for the Milwaukee 3 hp for the RT. For free handing the dewalt is nice but for free handing what ever I bought it would have a D handle.

Dale Thompson
06-25-2005, 9:31 PM
Thanks Dale, what is the HP of your table version? Bosche is nice I am sure, they get very good reviews. Plus wrestling meets in Des Moines area.
Corey

Corey,
Sorry for the delay in responding but, dad-gummit, the manual wasn't in my library for the router that I use in my table. :o I had to get down on my back and squirm around for a while to get the model number. Making matters worse is the fact that I didn't clean my shop after todays routing. I'm not only covered with chips but, at my age, it took me six hours and a 911 call to get me up off the floor. :mad: ;) It looks like a Model 1617 EVS with a 2 HP rating. My free-hand plunge is a 1613 EVS and I like it very much. It's also a 2 HP unit.

One point that I'm sure you already know. A 2 HP unit with a sharp bit will cut much better and faster than a 4 HP unit with a dull bit. I've used a 3/4" radius bit on Oak with no problems or laboring of the motor. The other advantage is that you don't have to take the battery out of the smoke detector when you are using sharp bits. :)

Another thought, don't necessarily listen to a bunch of Bosch fans. The Hitachi, as I understand is an excellent router table choice. Another one, which I came within a smither of buying was the Freud. From what I can tell, it is an excellent table router and may save you some money without sacrificing performance. I don't want to complicate your life but that's what you get for putting more than one receptacle in your shop. :rolleyes: :D

Lastly, I also have attended quite a few wrestling matches in the Des Moines area. As I mentioned, that is where I met my wife when I was a young dude engineer at Firestone. My wrestling matches, however, were out in some deserted cornfield near the city. :D I lost them all and, after nearly forty years, I still do! :o WOE IS ME!! ;) :)

Dale T.

Corey Hallagan
06-25-2005, 9:51 PM
Dale...your cracking me up. Thanks for the info on the router. I am really in a quandry on what to get. It ill either be a Dewalt or Bosch 2 1/4 HP Plunge/fixed kit for general free hand work. I know they are both excellent units. For the table I am still thinking about the Hitachi 3 HP ...pretty simple straight forward router from what I read that is well made. I just don't want to upgrade for along time which Is why I am leaning to a 3 HP unit but we will see. The battle of the Blue & Gray... and Yellow and Green :) Oh and you are quite right on the the router bits sharpness... I learned that on my first router and bits years ago.... that little steel bit didn't las long!!
Corey

Ken Waag
06-26-2005, 8:47 AM
Corey,

Right now, I'd have to say that if you are looking for a 3HP model mainly for undertable use, take a long look at the Milwaukee 5625. It was designed with this use in mind, with through table access to depth adjustment.

I replaced my PC 7518/Woodpecker lift with just the Milwaukee mounted in a cast iron extension wing. For under $300 it woks as well for me as the $500 PC/Precision Lift.

Pictures on this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=173598&postcount=7

Jim Becker
06-26-2005, 9:21 AM
Corey, the DW618 will work nicely in a table as long as you don't want to swing large panel raisers "a lot". It's a great 12 amp machine; even with the two Festool routers I have now, I still like the Dewalt in many ways, particularly when I want a fixed base format.

Bob Noles
06-26-2005, 3:00 PM
Corey,

I purchased the DW618PK about a year ago and have been using it in my router table ever since. I liked the 618 so well that I purchased a 2nd one about a month ago. It is a GREAT router and I don't believe that you will find ANYONE that will tell you it is not.

Steve Elias
06-26-2005, 4:39 PM
FYI, in April Bosch released a router base (RA-1165) for the 1617 that is designed to be mounted in a router table. For $53 it gives you a second base for the 1617 and it comes with a key that allows you to adjust the depth from above the table. Like the standard base for the 1617, all it takes to release and remove the motor is a simple pull on the clamp that holds it in place. Also, the RA-1165 has a safety device to prevent the user from accidentally dropping the motor on the floor when the clamp is released. It takes me less than 30 seconds to remove my router from one base and lock it into the other. It makes the 1617 very flexible and saved me from buying another router. For the price the price of the 1617 kit and the $53 router table base, you get a very capable 2.25 hp router that can switch very quickly from plunge to fixed base to router table operation. I certainly think it's worth considering. IIRC, the limit of travel and adjustment with the RA-1165 is 1" or so.

-Steve

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2005, 7:59 PM
Steve, that is a great idea! That just may sway me to go to the Bosch. Thanks for the post!

Corey

Larry D. Wagner
06-26-2005, 9:06 PM
Corey

I'm just now reading this post, but if your interested in any more opinions, the DW 618 kit has no peer. In and out of the table it will do just about everything you might want it to do. I think it is the best balanced router on the market, when hand held. I've had mine for well over a year and it has operated flawlessly and I use it a lot.(Mostly in the table) If you are going to swing a lot of big bits then I would suggest you get one of the 3 HP models out there. I think they are all pretty good!

Anyhow that's my .02 worth!

Larry:) :) :)

Corey Hallagan
06-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks Larry and to all that have helped me out here. I do know that I am going to buy either the Dewalt 618 PK or the Bosch 1617PK. The extra bosch base sounds great but I think the Dewalt lends itself to the router table as well. I am going to go try these two out in person to see which feels the most comfortable. I will be buying a Laminate trimmer as well. Then I will use them awhile to see what my uses will require.
P.s. Is anyone here using the Benchdog Pro Contractor router table?
Corey

glenn bradley
11-16-2006, 9:04 PM
I would stay away from the Milwaukee router unless they have changed their design to keep the body from falling out of the frame when the clamp is released. :eek:

That's one of my favorite features of the Mil. Just put your hand under it and lower it out of the body. No twisting, levering, etc. One of the things I love about this site is all the stuff you can learn hearing from people who work differently than you do. At my stage in the game it's all a learning experience.

Scott Vigder
11-16-2006, 9:28 PM
As if you don't have enough information, I'll weigh in since I own several of these puppies.
My mainstay router has always been a PC, and I have both a plunge and fixed base for it. I keep a Hitachi M12V in the router table at all times. At 3HP I use it for nearly all my 1/2" diameter shank bits. The table is a smaller style than Norm's and isn't enclosed, so it has a small footprint and is sturdy as a rock. I bought Rockler's stock table top with the larger insert plate, and they pedrilled the plate for the Hitachi for free.

So what did I do? Last month I went and bought that little Bosch, on sale at Amazon for $159 with all the trimmings. In the last two weeks I've used it almost exclusively. Dado's in plywood? No problem. Long rabbets in maple? Done with ease. It comes with it's own version of a bushing guide that makes a straight bit act like a flush bit. It has regular, angled and close-trim bases. I still can't get over all the work I've done with this little thing, and havn't had it bog down yet.
It's easy to manuever, extremely lightweight (compared to the Hitachi, Dumbo is lightweight), and powerful. Bit changes are a snap, as are height adjustments. The fixed base has finger guides...very confortable and safe.

Good luck...this is one fun decision!

Corey Hallagan
11-16-2006, 9:50 PM
I originally posted this in June of 2005 when I was buying new routers. I ended up going with the DW 618 PK and purchased Pat Warner bases for them. I also ended up with the DW 625 for the router table. It is a good strong router but probably their are better ones more suited for router table work. I ended up getting the Bench Dog Pro Contractor router table as well. I like it alot and it is very solid and made with baltic birch and a laminated top. That said, I could have easily made this style of table myself for much less money :)

Corey

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Have you considered building a router table as an extension to your table saw??
It doubles as an out feed surface and if you are willing you can put together a rather nice track for it.

Chuck Wood
11-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Corey,

Take a look at the Ridgid router! They just lowered the price by $30.00. Was $199.00 now $169.00. Plus you get lifetime service. And it has 2 LED lights built into the base. And you get 2 bases!

R2930 https://www.customernation.com/cn/images/other/blank.gif Specs: Input: 120V AC, 12 Amp Peak Horse power: 2 1/4 HP No Load Speeds: 10,000 - 23,000 per minute Motor Weight: 6.4 lbs. Features: ¿ Premium Mg¿ Magnesium Fixed and Plunge Bases and Motor for high strength and exact fit ¿ 2 1/4 Peak Horse Power Motor to power through dense materials ¿ Precision Milled Shaft equal to best run out in industry ¿ Electronic Variable Speed with Feedback and Softstart helps maintain control and speed under load ¿ Micro Depth Adjustment with Thru Table Capability for added convenience and precision ¿ Lifetime Service Agreement on parts and service ¿ Fixed Base and Plunge Base feature soft grip handles ¿ 12' All-rubber cord with cord wrap for added durability

I like mine!:)

David Rose
11-18-2006, 1:30 AM
Corey,

For hand held work, well... working the router on top of the work, be sure to test the different plunge mechanisms. Try plunging while you are pressing the base against something too. I never found a plunge that worked as smoothly as the DW621 (or 625 in the bigger router). Even that one can get a bit sticky when firmly pressed against something like a guide. Most of the ones I tried would lock solid when you did that. I haven't looked for about three years, so there may have been changes for the better. I also love the Dewalt controls and switches, but some folks don't.

The last time I router shopped, I took a dial indicator with base, a small square and piece of 1/2" drill rod. The kind folks at my local (100 miles away) Woodcraft (Tulsa OK, plug plug:D ) let me take units to the work room and check them for square and runout. I wouldn't have had two of the units I checked, one might have been passable, one was outstanding. I wouldn't buy another one without doing a lot of checking.

I also have a little PC 310 with a Warner base. I love it. It is massive for a trim router. I've done things with it that you probably shouldn't. :eek:

David

Allen Bookout
11-18-2006, 9:23 AM
Corey,

Take a look at the Ridgid router! They just lowered the price by $30.00. Was

I like mine!:)

Chuck,

I have been wondering about that router. Are you using any other brands to compare it to?

Allen

Chuck Wood
11-18-2006, 11:50 PM
:)
Chuck,

I have been wondering about that router. Are you using any other brands to compare it to?

Allen

Allen,

No I'm not at this time! It is my first router! But so far I like it! Comes with 2 base plates that are clear, and have vacuum hock up on them. And the 2 LED lights built into the router help to see the work easier.

Randal Stevenson
11-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Corey,

Take a look at the Ridgid router! They just lowered the price by $30.00. Was $199.00 now $169.00. Plus you get lifetime service. And it has 2 LED lights built into the base. And you get 2 bases!

Locally they are that price, however another poster on another forum found his store pricing them for $10 less. The decussion over there, looks like they are preset to use PC accessories. Just a note of interest.

John Seiffer
11-19-2006, 5:32 PM
Anybody used a Triton? Comes with a lot of extras for $176

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=502888