PDA

View Full Version : Parts for a Makita 2030 12" planer/6" jointer

Al Faulkner
04-26-2014, 12:53 PM
I've had this unit since probably the 1980s. Love it and have done lots of boards. I had the rollers reurethaned, Excellent idea. This unit is so reliable, useful and loud. If I was starting again I might consider a belt sander thicknesser. Not sure the brand/name but a friend has one.

I was planing an 18 foot piece of Douglas fir and did not have it supported well at the beginning and caused the cutter to stall which caused the motor to spin and burn out the belt. It just melted. 61 and still ADHD :)

So now I am looking for a new belt. I'll probably look at the bushings while I have it part and also the motor brushes.

Any suggestion on where to get decent prices on the belts? I saw prices ranging from 61 USD to 108 USD. I would prefer to get it from Canada also due to shipping and customs.

Bill McNiel
04-26-2014, 1:13 PM
I have the same toy. Solid performer since 1980. Hope someone has an answer for you as it would help me too. Did find replacement blades a while ago.

Loren Woirhaye
04-26-2014, 3:58 PM
Is a sort of timing belt like thing?

I researched this issue awhile back and found out that if you can figure out exactly what the specs are on a belt they can be found cheaper, but certainly not badged to fit a given machine.

Al Faulkner
04-26-2014, 7:13 PM
Thanks Loren,
You inspired me to check again to see if anything was written on it.

I have attached some photos. Unfortunately taken with an older iphone but sort of readable.

I turned the camera around for one photo so it may read upside down.

Also after what looks like the last line with a series of Ts is a line that reads what looks like a series of 1s or Is or maybe ls

Cheers
Al

Curt Harms
04-27-2014, 8:50 AM
I would probably take the old belt to this place. The odds are they could match it:

http://www.callahanbearing.com/

That doesn't help you, though. Do you have any place similar within a reasonable distance?

Al Faulkner
04-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Loren and Curt,
Thanks, that sounds about right. I will check out that avenue locally first.

Al Faulkner
05-01-2014, 6:50 PM
Has anyone replaced the belt? I am wondering if it is major surgery?

Thomas S Stockton
05-01-2014, 10:52 PM
www.beltsforanything.com carries them for the Hitachi version so they could be a source
Tom