PDA

View Full Version : pen turning kits for 10 grandchildren at family outing---sourcing and how to

tom coleman
04-26-2014, 3:13 AM
We have a family outing involving 10 grandkids aged 8 to 13 in mid June. I would like to buy pre assembled pen blanks that the kids can turn and learn by doing. I am transporting a full size Delta lathe (36 inch) and recently sharpened full size turning tools to my summer cabin in Maine which could be used for this project. I recently purchased this 40 year old unused combo and hope to learn how to turn salad bowls this summer in Maine.However we will have very few tools and no drill press at this lodge.

I have no experieince in turning. It sounds like I can buy pre drilled blanks with tubes already inserted which could make this project very attractive. Suggestions on where to source reasonably priced blanks for kids to play with.

Apparently I will have to purchase mandrel for holding pre-drilled blanks while tunring in done. Do I need to provide any other tools, jigs to make this a pleasant experieince.

Tips and suggestions very much appreciated

Dan Masshardt
04-26-2014, 6:56 AM
Hi!

Pennstateind sells pretubed 7mm and 10mm blanks in sets. You have to buy the kits separately but they aren't too bad for those kinds of pens. Or you could drill and glue them at home.

You need the bushings and a mandrel and a 60 degree live center for the tailstock.

Sandpaper and some kind of finish and a way to push the parts together.

The tools will not stay sharp for long though.

Maybe buy a basic carbide tool for the kids to use?

Paul Kennedy
04-26-2014, 9:26 AM
Tom, you can certainly acquire the pre-assembled pen kits from a number of places. My concern is one of safety. You indicated you have no experience in turning. Pen turning is a great way to start your turning experience. But depending on the ages of the grand kids, they may need someone with a little more experience showing them the way. It is surprising how quickly things can go wrong in turning. Pkennedy

Dale Gillaspy
04-26-2014, 9:41 AM
Depending on when the outing is, you might be able to squeeze in a pen turning class from Woodcraft or Rockler before the outing. It will give you a little experience in the area which will help when trying to teach kids.

Dave Cullen
04-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Penn state (PSI) has everything you'd need. And I highly recommend a carbide scraper like this -

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXCMR.html?prodpage=1LX

- rather than full sized turning tools, especially for small hands. The carbide tools are far easier to use for a beginner than gouges and skews.

Richard Coers
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Since no one has turning experience in your group, start with them just turning sticks. Just make chips. Tell them they are making magic wands. Then after they get some experience, drill a hole in the end of the sticks to accept an insert from a bic pen. Usually two steps, one to clear the tube, another for the plastic nib holder. Drill out 50 sticks, and if they blow them up, big deal. There is definitely more to turning than just sticking the tool into the wood, so with no experience on your part, don't worry about getting finished work. Turning purchased pen kits is not fool proof since the wood or plastic gets pretty thin. They are very easy to blow up for beginners. Then if you blow up a bunch, you won't have the tools to make more. If you insist on the kits, buy at least 3 times as many as you will need. You'll definitely need to take a sharpening system as well. Turning tools can last just minutes before they need to be sharpened again. As mentioned, take a class somewhere before you get the kids going.

Guy Belleman
04-26-2014, 4:37 PM
Highly recommend getting on over to your local Woodcraft Store in Tampa and take their pen turning class on May 9th. With children of those ages, you will want to produce a safe and enjoyable experience.

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/storeclasses.aspx?id=512&page=classes

There isn't a Woodcraft store in Maine. Not sure the Rockler store in Portland, ME, is close to your cabin, and the store doesn't list any classes. They could probably direct you to a woodturner or two in your area though. http://www.rockler.com/retail/stores/me/south-portland-store/classes-store33

Next, I would look for a Woodturning club near the cabin in Maine. Perhaps someone there can provide the experience to the children that is already set up and knowledgeable. Nothing wrong with a joint learning experience. I don't think I would use a full size lathe with small children. A mini or midi lathe might work much better.

Pens are not the only product you might want to think about, although learning how to turn a pen establishes the process. Kaleidoscopes, tops, Harry Potter wands, are a couple of ideas.
Please think this idea through.

Len Mullin
04-27-2014, 1:10 AM
Tom, I'm sorry, but, you shouldn't be trying to teach that many kids how to turn pens until you have some knowledge about how to do so yourself. To do so, is putting your grandkids in danger. You yourself admitted that you've got no experience, so, how the heck can teach someone else. Yes pen turning is not all that difficult, but, it does take some practise. It can be expensive to get in to also, especially if your just starting out. If you insist in letting them try the lathe, let them try to make a spinning top, or, as someone else has suggested,try turning a stick of wood to recieve a bic pen cartridge. Good luck if you proceed with this venture, I hope no one gets hurt.
Len

John Lifer
04-28-2014, 8:21 AM
Tom, I'm sorry, but, you shouldn't be trying to teach that many kids how to turn pens until you have some knowledge about how to do so yourself. To do so, is putting your grandkids in danger. You yourself admitted that you've got no experience, so, how the heck can teach someone else. Yes pen turning is not all that difficult, but, it does take some practise. It can be expensive to get in to also, especially if your just starting out. If you insist in letting them try the lathe, let them try to make a spinning top, or, as someone else has suggested,try turning a stick of wood to recieve a bic pen cartridge. Good luck if you proceed with this venture, I hope no one gets hurt.
Len

+1 on this. If you don't know how to turn, how in the heck are you going to teach it to a group of little kids clammering to crawl all over the lathe. Especially on a full size lathe. Take a class. And if YOU then feel comfortable turning the pens, then turn the pens and let THEM finish them as in sanding and applying finish. Keep the sharp tools to yourself.

Your much safer handing each a sharp knife and a stick to carve. At least they will probably have their eyesight once their cuts heal.